Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 4wd taco. For the most part I really like the truck but I can't believe anyone from Toyotas design team actually sat in the Tacomas seats and drove for any distance. I can get semi comfortable as a passenger but as the driver any distance and my back is screamin. Anyone have recommendations for aftermarket seats? Not racing or offroad just nice hi quality comfortable seats for the front.

·
Registered
93 Posts
take the seats out and take them to an upholstery shop...

you can have new padding put in the seats, memory foam and have them contoured to your liking.

Then have the OEM skin put back on and you will have a brand new seat!

IMO.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the SR5, top of the line but believe it or not, the seats in my 89 Tacoma were better seats. The headrest was adjustable, 3 postion lumbar, and a knob on the left side to change the seat angle, and the fabric was better too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have whatever seats came in the Sport... probably one of the most comfortable seats I've sat on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The seats are definitely bad. A few years back when I first tested an 05, it was removed from my list of potential vehicles primarily because of the horrific seats. Could be worse though, could have been the Tundra with armrest at different heights.

The problem was definitely the way it sits on the floor. I don't know what they are thinking. Anyways, by the time I was looking at 07s they definitely made them better, I think the seat is even a bit higher now. But still not good. I did buy one though. Still wish something could be done. But in the end, you can't. It's just not safe to change. I could build a seat bracket that would hold up just fine. But the whole thing, seat, person, airbag is all designed as a system. And by lifting it you risk serious injury in an accident. Until Toyota makes an aftermarket seat kit that is approved by them, one just simply should not even think of changing the seat. If it was yee old pickup, pre much thought to crashes, pre airbags and so forth. Sure why not, not a big deal. Just not today.

I have a 06 4wd taco. For the most part I really like the truck but I can't believe anyone from Toyotas design team actually sat in the Tacomas seats and drove for any distance. I can get semi comfortable as a passenger but as the driver any distance and my back is screamin. Anyone have recommendations for aftermarket seats? Not racing or offroad just nice hi quality comfortable seats for the front.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
the seats in my 89 Tacoma were better seats. The headrest was adjustable, 3 postion lumbar, and a knob on the left side to change the seat angle, and the fabric was better too.

Yeah THOSE sport seats were the Bomb! Had them in my 87 and 95 when the tacoma was the no-name truck Toyota produced. I liked how you could adjust the sides to almost lock you in :D 7-way sport buckets baby :tu:

oh well...kinda on the lines of when they changed the 60/40 bench in Tundra for the 05/06 model years. The redesign made the 60 passenger side a totally solid back with a middle headrest & small armrest/console combo that you could put a pack of gum in. Plus you could no longer reach behind you or if your passenger moved the armrest moved with the seat. What were they thinking??? :confused:

On topic, my 06 has SR5 seats and wish I had the thigh extension like the now sport seats have. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder if the seats from a Sport would fit in the SR5 if a set could be found reasonable.

Just a thought here.. Try checking with your delaer to see who does their leather installs. They usually farm this out to a local shop. See if they have any sport seats laying around. They might have done an "oops" on a pair and had to eat 'em.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good ideal. I just assumed the leather seats came from the factory. I did speak with a bodyshop guy and he was going to do a search for the TRD sport seats for me. The colors' not that important since I could get the greyTRD seat covers to go on them if they were taupe or tan. Can anyone verify (as for as comfort) that the TRD sport seats would be that much more comfortable than the SR5 seats? Gonna have to do something. Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts