Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Seq speakers are shot. Before I start, let me say that i have not taken off the door panel to actually see what is installed. I have the JBL set-up. I know there are seperates up front but has anyone installed door speakers with the original wiring and left the factory tweeters in using the original wiring? The door speakers have a small circular hole beside the woofer, is that for a tweeter as well or is that like a bass port? One last question is ...speaker recommandations...what do you have / suggest? Music prefence is more rock/pop orientated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, if you have the JBL system the front speakers actually have a 6.5" woofer and a small...maybe 2.5' midrange right next to it. The tweeter is up in the door pillar area. Some have tried to replace using connectors and recommended speaker fitment from Crutchfield and still required some fabrication to make it work. You should be able to buy the correct connectors to make it a factory style hook-up. If you have a hole where the midrange should be, I wonder if the factory speakers have been removed? I think the factory JBL's work well with the factory head unit and amp. If you don't want much hassle, you may want to buy some out of a salvage yard. Or, if you want to get crazy with the cheese-whiz you can do some searching on this site, or check out some ideas from places like Crutchfield.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hmm, getting confused. Someone else said we have a 7" up front... although I had thought it was a 6.5"?

So basically salvage yard is my best bet for the easiest PnP?

Jonny

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
dx3, if you look at the fitment guides on Crutchfield they show the front speaker being anywhere from a 5 1/2" - to a 6 3/4" speaker with a "modified fit". I didn't see anywhere that mentioned a 7" up front? I'm not sure what your end goal is, but if you want aftermarket it will take some work but I think a lot of people have done it. If you just want a simple plug-n-play, and keep the stock sound you might have a cheaper experience using the salvage yard. I'm certainly not the audio expert, but you might get some good information from the guys in the 1st gen tundra forum and see if you can do a search for the front speakers. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i saw 7" somewhere else on this site as well, and the more disturbing fact that the 2002 JBL system runs at 2.2 ohms instead of the usual standard 4 ohms and that using the wrong ohm speaker would damage the head unit. Since the ole lady has been driving this more than I do lately I really dont want to dump a grand into replacing a double din head unit and new speakers as well. Plug and play works best with me as long as i dont blow something else up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do not believe using a numerically higher impedance speaker would damage the stereo, it would simply be quieter. Higher impedance means lower current thus actual LESS chance of damage.

I'm not recommending it but you could parallel two 4 ohm speakers to make 2 ohms :cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just remembered too, there is a TSB for an external amp that fails for the two rear speakers. It could actually be that your amp is dead, not the speakers.

I believe there is an upgraded amp available from Toyota.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My uncle just replaced his entire system in his '07, he has the full JBL set up available if you are interested. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts