Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, since my frame replacement, I'm hanging on to the trcuk for years to come. Even if it needs a new motor in 100K mi.

To freshen it up and feel like a new trcuk, I'm going with the 2003 front end, mesh grill, etc. Has anyone changed out the round factory fogs with an auxilary low beam? I'm looking at maybe a Baja Designs Fuego cornering light with a sharp horizontal beam cutoff. I'ts a 4" design. 5" would be perfect. Any other lights anyone would recommend?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm going with the 2003 front end, mesh grill, etc. Has anyone changed out the round factory fogs with an auxilary low beam? I'm looking at maybe a Baja Designs Fuego cornering light with a sharp horizontal beam cutoff. I'ts a 4" design. 5" would be perfect. Any other lights anyone would recommend?
Are you planning to do the resin bumper conversion? If so the bumper cover is designed to retain those specific lights. One could probably modify it to mount larger lights but I think it would be more trouble then it's worth for a less then perfect fit.

Just my $.02

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did the conversion. I see the area and mounting provisions, but there is a flat spot in back on the bottom that looks like it would work for something like this:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-613286/Fuego,+Halogen+Driving+Black+100w

And they appear easy to get centered. I'll take a less than perfect fit for better performance. IMO OEM fogs are utterly useless unless you want to look at the shoulder right next to the truck

·
Registered
819 Posts
I put a set of 80W 9006 bulbs in my 2004 OEM fogs and adjusted them and am very happy with them. I should have put 80W bulbs in them a long-long time ago, AND adjusted them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do they project down the road well?

My problem is I drive in Northern Mn a lot. Dark, 2 lane, trees, deer bear, well you get the picture. Getting a lot of light on the road is easy on high beam, but I need better projection on low. I have upgraded my headlight bulbs. Tried everything and PIAA's are the best, but you know what is 95% as good? Silverstars and under half the price. I did different bulb in each light, compared em on the garage door and on the road.

I had the perfect setup on my 92 pickup. Hella E code H4 conversion with the sharp beam cutoff for the headlights, Hella 550 auxiliary low beams (essentially E code low beams) in the fog light postion and 550 drivers on the bumper. Low beam was perfect! Like a carpet of light ahead without blinding oncoming drivers (except on hills sometimes).

·
Registered
819 Posts
Clear bulbs all the way, none of those PIAA/Silverstar tinted-nonsense bulbs for me. Might as well drive around with sunglasses on with those tinted bulbs.

I started with 80/100W H4's in my headlights. One blew, went to a 90/100W, it is still in there and I have a 100/130W in the other. It lights up nice and doesn't hurt anyone else.

With an 80W 9006 in the foglights as opposed to the stock 55W, and adjusted up a bit so as to not interfere with oncomings, it lights me up great, especially on winters nights way up at the top of New Hampshire when were on our way snowmobiling and there are no lights of any kind on the roads/highways up there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not talking the blue ricer stuff. I drive a Toyota, not a Honda. PIAA's I ran the true white, brilliant white or whatever they were calling the clear ones that week. I might have the Phillip's upgraded lamp and not the Silverstar, I tried so many that night, but they were all clear bulbs. I just remember the upgraded stock types were almost as good as the PIAA or Hella bulbs I tried.

I may try, like you, just upgrading the wattage. Gotta re-polish my lenses as well. Thanks everyone for the input.

Tundra, I'll get pics soon, as the conversion isn't as straight forward as other threads indicate. I may post in those and put the link here.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tundra, I'll get pics soon, as the conversion isn't as straight forward as other threads indicate. I may post in those and put the link here.
Ferris,
I converted my 04 to the 02 look. The problem you may have is the fender liners being too short up front. Fortunately the fender liners on the 04 are designed to attach to the resin bumper, so I just drilled 2 holes (one on the right side and one on the left) in the bottom of the bumper reinforcement and used the sheetmetal brackets for the others. This made for a very clean install.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, fender liners are different. The resin bumper does not attach to the 2000 at thhe top rear holes or two in the bottom where the plastic CV protectors attach to the metal skid plate. Also the center bracket in front of the radiator is different. I drilled out the spot welds of the part that attches to the middle of the bumper and remounted it lower. The hood release is also different, which I'm trying to fab a conversion right now.

I took a look at a DC in the dealer parking lot

Maybe you could confirm a few questions:

Resin bumper models do not have a plastic skid plate/CV protector (the fender liner extends down to the bottom of the bumper)???

Hood releases on 2003 - 2006 models pull the rod down rather than up (2000 - 2003)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe you could confirm a few questions:

Resin bumper models do not have a plastic skid plate/CV protector (the fender liner extends down to the bottom of the bumper)???

Hood releases on 2003 - 2006 models pull the rod down rather than up (2000 - 2003)

Correct on both questions.

Here are some snaps from when I did mine...It's filthy but a good reference.

<TUNDRA>

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!! Makes sense now. Once this is all done, we should start a bumper/grill conversion thread with pics on the differences. Did you get all new hood release stuff?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did you get all new hood release stuff?
Yes, I did get new hood release components. They are sold as 2 seperate pieces and you snap them together before installation. I got to know my local Toyota parts guy pretty well (like every saturday for 2 months I stopped in).

Good luck to you, and I want to see pictures when your done.

:cool:

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
819 Posts
WATTAGE, the only way to get it done and get the light on the road that the reflectors are capable of.

Way back when, I'd get how I'll be melting wires and housings, in 7 years and 102,500 miles, I've had none of it.

I put 80W 9006's in my wife's RAV4, no issues.

80/100W in my snowmobile, no issues.

Try some 80/100's or 90/100's, I got mine from Dennis Kirk way back in the day, Eiko bulbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tundra, you da man always posting pictures up for me. One part I'm having trouble finding if the angle bracket here between the grille and lever.

I doesn't seem to be on any Toyota parts diagrams. You don't happen to have a part number for it do you?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on man post some pictures of your progress.

:)

<TUNDRA>
Once the road dries up and I can get it washed, I'll do that. You've been so helpful with your pictures!! Last weekend I got my driving and ******* (rear bumper lights) installed. Turned out really clean! My daughter bumped a tree with the rear bumper several years ago, leaving a palm sized dent. It's always bugged me but I couldn't see getting a new bumper for just that. I've also always hated chrome and am slowly removing it all.

So, I cut out recesses (around the dent) in the bumper for the lights and used Herculiner on the bumper. My first Herculiner turned out less than stellular , so I need to hit it again to even out the finish.

Driving lights I welded 1 1/2" square tubing to the bumper rebar and 3/8" x 1 1/2" flats sticking out between the hood and bumper to the tops. Lights are tucked in tight to the grille and add next to nothing in over all length of the truck.

For the fog position I'm going to try to fit Hella 50 mm projector low beams in there

They should go. The challenge will be trimming them out nicely in the odd shaped holes.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Maybe I'm tired, but I don't understand this mod. Are you simply replacing the fog lights with bigger wattage bulbs or is there something else going on? Why do you have to mess with the hood release?

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to fab Hella low beam projectors into the fog position. The factory fogs, even with higher wattage bulbs are useless. They light right in front of the vehicle only out about 100'.

The hood release, I converted from 2000 steel bumper front end to 2003 resin bumper front end

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would like to see some pictures of your bumper installed reverse lights if you get a chance. Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts