Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and picked up some more crushed rock, asked for 1.5 yards. They weight you before and after loading and then calculate yardage from the weight difference. She said I got 1.9 yards which would be right at 1900 lbs. Tires had a little squish to them, even after I inflated them to the max rating of 44psi. Accelerated and braked fine but steering was a little light.

The backyard where I was parked has a slight slope so the backend looks lower than on the street. The top of the bed was just about level with the ground on the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had loads like that and more in my '02 prerunner and it survived but I sure wouldn't recommend it! One of the prime reasons I traded it for a v-8 '04 Tundra with tow package. Fortunantely I now own a utility trailer for such tasks.

To each thier own, but why would you want to tax a expensive new truck when it is designed to pull it?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Big ern, is that a long bed regular and it's rated for more the 1900lbs isn't it? good pic doesnt look too bad at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks a little low in the rear. That rock on the bumper isn't scratching the tail gate, is it?
As I said: The backyard where I was parked has a slight slope so the backend looks lower than on the street. The top of the bed was just about level with the ground on the street. The front of the truck is sitting on about 6-8" higher ground than the rear. Trucks are designed with an enpty bed height to allow for suspension compression when loaded. That's why I really wonder whan people say they are installing "leveling kits". They must never plan on putting anything in the bed.

There was some residual rock on the bumper from loading, it did not occur to me to wipe if off before opening the tailgate and so there was some rock trapped in there. When additional rock then filled the gap between the open tailgate and bed, it became sort of wedged. I had to dig out some rock to then be able to remove the tailgate. Lesson learned. I washed the tailgate off and saw no scratches.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To each thier own, but why would you want to tax a expensive new truck when it is designed to pull it?
I'm a bit puzzled by that comment. The truck has a rated capacity of over 1900 pounds. It is designed to both haul and tow. (Hence the tow/haul switch on the tranny.) I asked for 1 1/2 yds which would have put me at 1500lbs. The loader just dumped until the bed was level, probably trying to get me my moneys worth for their minimum load charge. I used it all anyway so it worked fine.

I actually bought the truck to be used, tow the car trailer, haul materials, etc. Isn't that what trucks are for????

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big ern, is that a long bed regular and it's rated for more the 1900lbs isn't it?
Yes it is. I certainly wouldn't want to drive long distance like that. Most concerned about the tires. Maybe I will move my purchase up on the BFG-AT E-range tires, I was hoping to burn off the stock tires first.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
It's fun hauling heavy loads and seeing that your baby can do it! :D My wife works for John Morrell and when one of the delivery trucks could not make a delivery she desided to use our 1998 Tacoma TRD Limited 4X4 in white (BEAUTIFUL TRUCK) to make the delivery. She calls me up on the cell phone and asked me what is the max she could haul. I told her 1,500lbs max. She says OMG!!! I have 2,250lbs of ham in the back what should I do! :D I asked her how the truck was doing. She said that is seemed fined but the engine was really working hard to haul it. Long story short she made if fine with no accidents thank God and no damage to the truck. Needless to say she never did that again.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good thing you have a mean, vicious dog guarding the truck. Can't be too careful these days...:D

Enjoy and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Do you have the 5.7 or the 4.7? Seemed to handle the weight well by the looks of the picture. Since you use your truck for what it is made to do (like me) would you consider putting helper springs of some sort on it or did it handle the weight past your expectations?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the 5.7 or the 4.7? Seemed to handle the weight well by the looks of the picture. Since you use your truck for what it is made to do (like me) would you consider putting helper springs of some sort on it or did it handle the weight past your expectations?
I have the 5.7. Given that it was pretty much at capacity, it did what I expected, no better or no worse. Given that the max haul load is considerable lower than the max tow load, I would expect the 4.7 to do about as well in accelerating and braking. Putting that load in the bed versus on a trailer is really a suspension issue. I was surprised to see the tires had a max inflation of 44psi. If I was going to do a lot of max capacity hauling, I would probably get better tires first, and helper spring second. After having air bags on a previous F350, I really like them. Not sure there is room on the Tundra frame to install them though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If I was going to do a lot of max capacity hauling, I would probably get better tires first, and helper spring second.
Do you have the TRD package? Which tires and do you know the load rating? Just curious. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts