Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to haul some gravel this afternoon. How much can I haul? I know I can't carry a whole yard. Was thinking about 2/3 yards, around 1831 lbs. I've got a DC 4x2. Also, how long could I let it sit on the truck. Any thing else I need to be aware of? Thanks,

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hauled about 350 pavers in the back of my crewmax and it sagged the rear a bit. I would say it weighted somewhere between 1050lbs. to 1400 lbs. I dont think you can haul as much as your wanting. I would just say load it little by little and just stop when you think you can not haul anymore. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Depends on how many people you have in the cab and how much other equipment/tools you have in the truck. Generally speaking, if it is just you and not much else "extra" in the truck (and assuming you're under 300 lbs), you should be able to do 1250 lbs easily. No worries about how long it can sit there... you can keep it there as long as you need to. There are people who have hauled twice as much, though I wouldn't advise it personally, but point is you can technically haul quite a bit. Just be sure to stay within the specs for a safe/comfortable ride, especially if you're going a long distance. I'm not sure about the weight you're quoting, but I think 1 cu. yd of dirt is something like 2200 lbs. Gravel may end up weighing considerably more. You may find that 1/2 cu. yd. may end up being 1800 - 2200 lbs or so... maybe even more depending on the type. So, just ask first and see what the loader says. If you go to a Lowe's/HD, you'll see that physically, a 40lb bag of pea-gravel is about 60% of the size of a 40lb bag of plain dirt. So, that may help in your estimates...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've read of people doing a whole yard. Legal? Doubtful. Safe? If going a short distance and being very cautious there shouldn't any issues.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The two issues are...

Suspension. I'd keep loading until the springs were compressed maybe halfway down. That way you'd have some bounce for potholes. And make your turns a little slower than normal expecially without a sway bar.

Stopping. Adding an extra 3/4 ton to the bed will affect the stopping distance a bit. Be prepared to press harder on the pedal. Leave extra room between you and the next car.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What is the size of your engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I've got the 5.7 and I'm only going about 20 miles. I found online a yard of 3/4 gravel weighs around 2750 lbs. That's how I came up with 2/3 a yard being 1830 lbs.

Oh yeah, no tools/equipment, Just me and the rock and I only weigh 180 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Is that all you need is 2/3 of yard? If you need more (meaning multiple trips), just rent a dump trailer and load it to it's maximum capacity (most are over 6k payload in 10k GVRW). Make one trip, dump your gravel and return the trailer. I know my local places only charge $35 if you return within 3 hrs :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hauling for a friend, but I think 2/3 is all he's going to need. So far he hasn't asked for multiple trips. Hopefully this one will be it.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
2/3 yards should not be a problem even with the 6. in the bed it won't look like much at all. just make sure you load from the rear axle forward.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I hauled 15 bags of mulch last week. truck did just fine and it had plenty of room for more. ;) does that help?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ah, I've had 2100 or so lbs in the back of my truck and it wasn't on the bump stops. It handled well for the 8 miles or so I went. (and if you want to nitpick, add 3 ppl, half tank of gas, and a 112 brush guard).

You'll be fine with 2/3 a yard, so don't worry about it.

-rockstate

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Wow - you're a good friend to load up that much gravel into your truck for a friend. Every time I've ever loaded gravel or stone into a truck (no matter which truck I was driving at the time, or how careful we were being).... I ALWAYS ended up with at least 1 scratch, if not more.

I'd get a trailer, like someone else pointed out. Unless your truck is a straight-up work truck that's already scratched & dinged up, why take the chance?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Wow - you're a good friend to load up that much gravel into your truck for a friend. Every time I've ever loaded gravel or stone into a truck (no matter which truck I was driving at the time, or how careful we were being).... I ALWAYS ended up with at least 1 scratch, if not more.
This is true and this is the main reason why I have my own trailers. My truck works hard but I don't want it to look like a POS either :D Most places just drive up to your truck and dump the gravel off the loader without regards to what hits the bedside or not.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I hauled a bag and a third from Home Depot. I think 1 big bag is 1 cubic yard. Don't know the exact weight .

Nothing like a Saturday morning at the Home Depot.:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hauled over 15 yards of 3/4" and 1" gravel in by DCLB, typically 1 yard at a time. I made a point to shovel it toward the front of the bed for better weight distribution. Then, after a lot of shoveling, realized that a good brake check worked about as well. I'm fairly certain it was less than 2700lb/yd weight. I still had some room left between the bumpers and frame. If you plan to haul a long distance consider airing up your tires to a higher pressure.

To my annoyance... the shovel always hits the bed bolts. And you'll collect gravel under the black trim covering the bumper.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i did 2 buckets of gravel once, i think they were 1 yard, filled the bed completely. i have airbags though. no problems stopping and going. was about 5 miles. that said the bed is x-liner, and i put an old harbor freight welding blanket in the bed and over the tailgate. would i ever do it again, NO, NO NO NONONO. it's not worth the delivery charge to shovel it out of the bed of the truck. lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
i did 2 buckets of gravel once, i think they were 1 yard, filled the bed completely. i have airbags though. no problems stopping and going. was about 5 miles. that said the bed is x-liner, and i put an old harbor freight welding blanket in the bed and over the tailgate. would i ever do it again, NO, NO NO NONONO. it's not worth the delivery charge to shovel it out of the bed of the truck. lol

:amen: You sir hit the nail on the head. It is absoutley 100% not worth the time and pain in your back of unloading.

·
Registered
88 Posts

The reason I kept the ole Taco around. :tu:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I look at shoveling as not having to go to the gym. A heavy duty tarp under the rocks makes it so much easier. When you get most of it shoveled out, just pull the tarp and the rest comes out too.
I haul my own stuff but would only help family or friends that would and do do stuff for me. For others, if they can afford the rock, they can afford delivery.
How forthcoming would they be if your truck got damaged?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts