Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

My starter is toast. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what I would expect to have it replaced? I'm not that mechanical, so would have it done. Looking online at Rock Auto, I see a lot of options for a remanufactured one. Any upside, or downside, to that I should be aware of?

Am just looking for a general ballpark of what I might pay out the door for parts and labor. It's an 2007, with 200K miles. Any brands you prefer? OR... brands to stay away from?

thank you all in advance!

Kevin

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you can afford it get a quality brand. Denso makes a lot of OEM parts for several auto manufacturers Toyota included. Denso will cost more, but should last longer. I always try to buy OEM or better. Usually when you’re looking at parts and they say “OE Spec” or “OEM Equivalent” keep looking. It’s just a sales tactic.

As far as labor, unfortunately I don’t know. But it’s probably book time multiplied by shop hourly rate local to you. It’s an entire intake R&I to do the starter so it’ll be pricey compared to having a starter replaced on most other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you much! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WAIT - don't go yet. What about new versus re-manufactured?

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes things like that are rarely new. They just rebuild them and use the old cases. Just get a good brand. Not something you wanna be doing again in 20k miles

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Team,

thank you for your help! I wanted to share my research with you, in case this comes up on your end. it is a very expensive job, all labor. I talked to 4 different mechanics, and every quote comes up with about $1,000 JUST in labor.. plus the (approx) $200 for the part.

I even kicked around doing it myself, and so did some digging. It's an ugly process. You gotta get the truck up on a lift, then take the tire off. Then, take apart the exhaust manifold, the take out the heat shields. that is just to BEGIN. I quickly realized that was too big a job for me to try. When the billing systems showed it was a minimum 6 hour job... i know it was beyond me.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Team,

thank you for your help! I wanted to share my research with you, in case this comes up on your end. it is a very expensive job, all labor. I talked to 4 different mechanics, and every quote comes up with about $1,000 JUST in labor.. plus the (approx) $200 for the part.

I even kicked around doing it myself, and so did some digging. It's an ugly process. You gotta get the truck up on a lift, then take the tire off. Then, take apart the exhaust manifold, the take out the heat shields. that is just to BEGIN. I quickly realized that was too big a job for me to try. When the billing systems showed it was a minimum 6 hour job... i know it was beyond me.

I’ve never replaced mine.... but can’t you replace it by removing the intake manifold? That’s what I’ve always heard. Would definitely rather remove the intake manifold than the exhaust manifold unless I’m replacing exhaust.

Either way, it’s an extensive process for sure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts