Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is the diagram of what I intend to do.

It's pretty straight forward...
Factory HU, Factory Amp (6 disc, 6 speaker, under seat amp) adding an older aftermarket amp (alpine MRVF400) and for now a couple old 8" bazooka tubes I keep tripping over in my garage (Q-logic soon)
It will not be a boom box, but should sound pretty good considering it is interfaced with a factory system.
I can take them out quickly too as needed.
It'll be fun to play around with series /parallel, bridged / stereo too.

My only concern:
The big one...Have any of you guys NEEDED to add noise suppression to your power lines on a tundra?
My Tacoma was BAD as far as noise was concerned. Easily fixable, but it delayed my "Clean" install a little. I'd rather get in and out and be done.
The taco was a bit different too: one large power wire to a distribution block, out of the block into filters then into the amps.
The tundy will be one wire direct to the amp. 8 ga at that.

Have I missed something with the remote turn on wire?
I was eyeballing another wire in the harness (gray) that is listed as 12v accessory. I think that one may be a switched 12v source, not radio controlled. (where’s my tester...)
The remote "ON" lead for amps typically has 12v on it when the radio is switched on, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
i used the cigarette lighter as my remote, but other than that everything on that is the exact same as i did.... except i used 2ga wire for power and ground.
Never had to use any noise cancelling either, everything ran clean from the get go using a NAVONE line level with no ground

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Q:
The lighter as a remote on?
Does your amp come on and stay on every time you start the vehicle?
Probably no big deal, but wouldnt that make shutting down the system for cooling a bit of a P.I.T.A. since the amp stays on with the ignition?

·
Registered
639 Posts
yea comes on and stays on till i turn it off... ill just turn the bass down if its getting hot, it doesnt heat up if its just on and not putting out any power.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
all you have to do is tap it to the acc from the radio...if your getting noise like engine noise check the amp,ground and your power wire migth be to close the the speaker wire...those ground loops dont do anything

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the AM I'll see if I have any noise with this setup / truck.
At least I should get done in the AM...
I spent the end of today with a slick power run INSIDE the frame rail ;).
8Ga wire with a mix of split loom and splitting thick rubber hose to protect the new wire. Up through the rubber grommet under the passenger seat, where the amp conveniently sits.
Nice short ground run to the seat bolt too, so noise should be minimal.
Slick if you ask me.
I would have finished the job today, but looking for the odd ball size allen wrench for the fuse holder prompted me to walk away. I own every size imaginable, except THAT one dangit.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IT is all done.
Sounds great too, for a stocker system with 100w alpine (mrvf300-bridged) pushing 2 bazooka 8's. The gain is 5/8 up and the freq is +/-120.
The only thing that vaires from the diagram I provided is the remote turn on source.
The pink wire did not work, never did see 12v in any key position, radio on / off. I used the gray wire in the 10 pin connector that is key switched.
The ground is perfect. I used one of the bolts that hold the under seat storage pan in place.

Thanks to all that chimed in with assistance!

dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts