Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013_TMMTX_Millionth_Truck.jpg
That title is part of a message that I gathered today from Toyota’s recent press release. The release is entitled “The 2014 Toyota Tundra Helps Drivers 'Build Anything’ and you may read the release over on Toyota’s press room website.

Toyota is apparently marketing the Tundra to what they referred to as the “evolved trucker”, which they state are those buyers who are interested in enhancing the life of their entire family. Part of the release reads “The new Tundra has been engineered and crafted to deliver full-size pickup truck capability that empowers truck owners all across America to build anything,” said Jack Hollis, vice president of marketing for Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. “The marketing campaign reflects this DIY spirit and genuinely showcases the truck’s versatility.”

However I believe the release will be of interest to the traditional truck guys who have complained about the truck that Toyota has assembled and is attempting to sell for 2014. I draw from the release that anyone who does not like the new Tundra apparently has not evolved enough to appreciate it. They went on to write “The campaign carves out new territory with a truck buyer whose life is much bigger—and fuller—than traditional “truck guy” clichés.”

I've owned five Tundra trucks over the past 14 years but I'm alarmed at what what Toyota has done with the 2014 Tundra. I apparently must fall into the traditional and not evolved enough buyer categories. It’s unfortunate that Toyota has narrowed its focus so much with this build that they must market the new Tundra to an even smaller niche of truck buyers. Ultimately this marketing will do little for the brand other than alienates the traditional Toyota truck buyers who have supported their products for over a decade.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well said and I second your remarks. Companies have no love or loyalty towards the people who have built the brand over the years any longer and our country, not to mention our world, is worse for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe toyota should evolve the drivetrain, add a trailer brake controller,a 115volt outlet, elocker, 6.5ft bed crew cab combo. Apparently driving a mall queen is the "evolved trucker". Toyota's half hearted defense of this gen Tundra proves it was a half hearted redesign. They are being called out on it and all they have to say is, " Your not evolved enough!" It disappoints me that I've promoted, defended, and purchased this brand over the years.

Lon your sentiments are spot on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Maybe toyota should evolve the drivetrain, add a trailer brake controller,a 115volt outlet, elocker, 6.5ft bed crew cab combo. Apparently driving a mall queen is the "evolved trucker". Toyota's half hearted defense of this gen Tundra proves it was a half hearted redesign. They are being called out on it and all they have to say is, " Your not evolved enough!" It disappoints me that I've promoted, defended, and purchased this brand over the years.

Lon your sentiments are spot on.
They should at least have made the crewmax with a 6 foot bed. At least I would be able to close my tailgate everytime I haul my LTR450 in it...

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Wow Toyota. That is your best shot to now insult the folks that supported you so well
in the early years. Toyota STILL has a lot to learn about marketing, brand loyalty, and demographics.

Have always been a loyal Toyota fan, but, not blind anymore. They need to earn it, not play mind games
with a target market, especially when they still have less than 6% market share.

They missed the mark big time with the 3G and a great opportunity. They can limit production to
make them appear special, but, they will make no gains against the Big 3 this year with this offering.

Is it still a good truck? Yes. Does it appeal to the mass market and even current Tundra owners? Not likely.

A 2014 is not a must have, IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm beyond happy with my Gen1 2006. In all honesty, I like the gen1 better than gen2. Sure I have a crewmax so interior room is a non-issue for me like it was with the ex-cabs from gen1... but the 07-13 and 14+ are just too damn big and over-complicated. I like manual controls (aside from power windows) and as little electronic gadgets as I can get. I don't need 5 CPUs running my truck for me and body too wide to park in a normal parking spot without having to worry about getting dinged

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
here is the link

Toyota | The 2014 Toyota Tundra Helps Drivers 'Build Anything'

not sure why you would try and separate yourself from "truck guys" and try and say are you good enough to drive a tundra?

umm. who do you think is buying these things?

lame marketing campaign,

I guess there is nothing to really promote in regards to things that you offer or do better than the compitition.

I can't think of anything the new 2014 Tundra does better or has then my Ram I just got.

the only thing they have is projected reliability, which they should really focus on. They better hope my Ram breaks down otherwise my next 50K check will go to Ram again, it's just a better truck for now.

if the Ram turns out to be a POS, then that's a different story but so far it;s been perfect and is rock solid, not the crap big 3 trucks of yesterday. we'll see.

I hope they really improve it during the midcycle refresh which is right about when I'll be in the market again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They should at least have made the crewmax with a 6 foot bed. At least I would be able to close my tailgate everytime I haul my LTR450 in it...
I would agree with you, there in lies part of the problem with the current Tundra, they do not have a normal crew cab with a normal 6-6.5 foot bed. What they have is a extra large cab with a small bed, this totally alienates the buyers who want what the big three and Nissan offer.

Wow Toyota. That is your best shot to now insult the folks that supported you so well
in the early years. Toyota STILL has a lot to learn about marketing, brand loyalty, and demographics.

Have always been a loyal Toyota fan, but, not blind anymore. They need to earn it, not play mind games
with a target market, especially when they still have less than 6% market share.

They missed the mark big time with the 3G and a great opportunity. They can limit production to
make them appear special, but, they will make no gains against the Big 3 this year with this offering.

Is it still a good truck? Yes. Does it appeal to the mass market and even current Tundra owners? Not likely.

A 2014 is not a must have, IMO.
The marketing for the 2014 is correct IMO, it might be lame buy it is going after the correct demographic. Toyota is going after the middle class or upper middle class parents who have a family, a home in the suburbs, go to little league with the kids etc. The 07 marketing was targeted to the blue collar worker and it failed big time. Looking at the option packs, Toyota wants to sell more Platinums/1794 editions that they do double cabs.
not sure why you would try and separate yourself from "truck guys" and try and say are you good enough to drive a tundra?

umm. who do you think is buying these things?

lame marketing campaign,
Toyota targeted the "truck guys" in 07 and fell flat on their a$$.

I can't think of anything the new 2014 Tundra does better or has then my Ram I just got.
That is true.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The biggest issue I see with the marketing of the '14s is that they insulted the people that got them where they are to target a small niche market that doesn't even want the product in the first place. Mall queenies want SUVs, not trucks. The national market penetration for Tundras is around 6% but here in Houston it is closer to 15%, very few of which get parked in garages so Billy and Susie get to tennis (Susie) and ballet (Billy) on time or stay clean on the weekends.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The biggest issue I see with the marketing of the '14s is that they insulted the people that got them where they are to target a small niche market that doesn't even want the product in the first place. Mall queenies want SUVs, not trucks. The national market penetration for Tundras is around 6% but here in Houston it is closer to 15%, very few of which get parked in garages so Billy and Susie get to tennis (Susie) and ballet (Billy) on time or stay clean on the weekends.
The die hard truckers are not paying a premium for the Tundra. The god-awful interior of the 07 just turned everyone off. Soccer dads and family men will pay the premium for the new one, funny how the double cab was the core truck in 07 and that has now changed to the Crew Max.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"I would agree with you, there in lies part of the problem with the current Tundra, they do not have a normal crew cab with a normal 6-6.5 foot bed. What they have is a extra large cab with a small bed, this totally alienates the buyers who want what the big three and Nissan offer."

Where are you guys seeing four door trucks with 6 or 6.5 foot beds? Cause I'll tell you, they're nowhere to be found at least in Louisiana. EVERY GMC, Ford, and Nissan four door pickup I see on the road today has the same 5.5 ft bed as the Tundra. The only truck I see around that has four real doors and at least a 6' bed is the Dodge king cab or whatever they call it. For everyone on here wishing for a 6-6.5 ft bed on a four door pickup............ya'll must be the exception. Again, from what I see on the road, that is apparently not a popular configuration because people aren't buying them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The long-box Fords are all over CA, NV, and TX, and have been for years.
The Titans are rare.
The Chevy/GM 1500 twins are new, but the 2500 series has had long boxes for awhile.

Toyota apparently wants to make do with a one-size-fits-all frame, and be a niche player. The folks I know with a Tundra own it for one reason only > reliability. Their money can get something nicer elsewhere, but won't buy reliability. All of them miss the prior gen as the 2nd gen is too big. I share that opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw one at the dealership today. It was a white truck with platinum trim crewmax. It was so ugly that I walk out! Seriously 2014 and still no projector HID and LED lighting? All they did was slap on some cheap new plastic bumpers and a 50K sticker price. My 2008 looks way better than this pos garbage. I am so disappointed !

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Wow! I'm surprised by Toyota's message as much as anyone but truthfully they must be very frustrated at how the whole venture into the "full sized" truck market has gone for them. I was here with Lon in 1999 when the first Tundra was released. I don't know why my membership shows 2002. I was at the dealership the day the Tundra was released and bought one of the first in the state of Florida. I would have taken bets that the truck would soon replace the F150. I would have sure lost my money. Truck buyers are fiercely loyal to the point of stupidity when saying that their brand is as good as Toyota. I'm sorry guys but your Chevy's, Ford and Dodge trucks do not provide anywhere near the level of quality, engineering and technology as a Tundra, period, get over it!

The 2014 is beautiful truck in my opinion. Knowing that it was coming without any changes to the drive train I purchased a 13, Platinum and received what I thought was a great deal. The professional Toyota bashers at KBB, Edmonds and others complain how behind the times Toyota is with the Tundra and how the ride is choppy, etc., etc. I think they are all on drugs. I really wanted to go to a desiel and tried real hard to purchase an F250 from Ford. In the end I could not do it since I couldn't seem to get the thing to want to stop even without a trailer. Now I hear that Toyota will visit the desiel again since everyone else will be putting one in a 1/2 ton.

So, as much as Toyota has been hard to deal with, doesn't seem to care or listen to their customers and now are insulting to some, I will continue to purchase their trucks as they evolve. After all, they have NEVER let me down pulling trailers, boats or taking the family for a drive. Toyota could learn much from Subaru who is taking the auto market by storm. I bought a 2014 Outback last weekend with Eyesight. I'm blown away by the quality, features and management of the company. Now, if Subaru only made a full sized pick up!!

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am the same way with the Toyota trucks. I have evolved with the trucks as they grew I grew but after my 2004 model, the trucks got too wide and too big and used way more gas to run. I had a 2011 for 8 months but got rid of it and too my embarrassment bought a 4 door 4 cyl Taco. Talk about no pick up and eats gas! 12 to 14 miles per gallon in the city. I did find out thanks to YTube that after 2011 Toyota uses a charcoal element on the air intake head. This is glued in but you can remove it. The result is better breathing, better pickup and 2 more miles to the gallon.

Talk about the new Toyota commercials! Camry test/joy ride track? Or how about the baseball diamond in the back yard. I guess you need a Tundra to build this according to the commercial. After owning 22 Toyota's since 1980 with 8 being trucks, the new Fords are starting to make more sense. The Ford definitely has better gas mileage, style and design.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I regret buying the 2012 that I have. Soft paint, crap fuel economy, plastic parts already degrading, squeaky suspension, terrible dealer experiences... It's my first and will likely be my last Toyota truck. I'm drooling over the direct injected GM/Chevy trucks.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I am completely disgusted with the 2014 Tundra. I love my 07 DC and waited for the 14 to arrive to trade in. Until I saw the 14. Pathetic excuse for a what Toyota calls a complete redesign. I won't bore everyone by repeating the obvious. What really burns me is deleting the upper glove compartment in the passenger side dash and then also shrinking the lower one. Then deleting the upper door panel compartments that open and close in my 07. So they take away storage. Do nothing great in the interior besides stealing dash vents from a 10 year old F150. I will be shopping for a Chevrolet unless, and we all know this won't happen, Toyota Wakes up and at least gives back all the features of the gen 2 Tundra had.
To Toyota:
Take this advice.... You don't take away useful features when redesigning a vehicle. And how about some sort to increase fuel economy? WTH? WAKE UP!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts