Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Tundra that has the deck rail system and I've been fighting with it to try and get it removed. Looks like someone tried to removed it once before because one of the torx bolts is completely stripped.

Any suggestions on how to remove it or where I could take it to have them removed?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the Torx stripped out, you may try a reverse drill bit. Very carefully, but I've seen them used on motorcycle exhaust bolts that are seized up and it worked well.

Other than some penetrating oil that may damage the paint, I'm not sure what to do as the rail would prevent using pliers or anything.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You can pick up a set of those special bits to remove screws with stripped heads for about 10 bucks I think. Usually about 4 sizes in a set and they are VERY useful. Sears have them for sure, because thats where I got mine. Just plug em in your power drill/screwdriver, low speed and it comes right out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I took it to the dealership today and that was the BIGGEST mistake. The bolts were really stuck and they ended up cutting the bolt heads off to get the rails off. They butchered my bed and at the moment there's no way to get the rails back on my truck. So pissed off! At least they replaced the piece-of-crap shim pedal with a new one. Small consolation for the butchering. Should've just done it myself.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I took it to the dealership today and that was the BIGGEST mistake. The bolts were really stuck and they ended up cutting the bolt heads off to get the rails off. They butchered my bed and at the moment there's no way to get the rails back on my truck. So pissed off! At least they replaced the piece-of-crap shim pedal with a new one. Small consolation for the butchering. Should've just done it myself.
Those special bits I was talking about will even remove a bolt or screw even where the head is completely missing. If it is really in there, you might need to drill it out and re-tap it. Not too difficult, just be careful when you drill not to go too far.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
When you do get them off, replace them with regular hex head bolts. I went to a body shop and they just gave me some. The bolts are black too, so they look good.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
a sharp new drill bit and an EZ out should get the remains of the bolt out. The torx bolts should be fine if you have the proper bit for them, maybe some anti seize on the threads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts