Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7. It has 35k miles on it and I bought it new. For about 6 months now I have been noticeing a vibration that is felt mostly in the steering column and floor, it can be felt at lower speeds but you have to really pay attention but at about 45 it is constant almost like a buzzing feeling and once you get up to highway speeds it is a constant and very noticable buzzing/vibration felt. I have been to the dealership 4 times now and told them what I felt and describe the symptoms to them and they keep it all day only to tell me they balance the tires and everything is good. So I go pick it up and as soon as I pull out of there, I still feel this vibration. It is not the tires as the vibraiton/buzzing is exactly the same after each tire rotation and balance. So I thought maybe I am being too critical of the truck but it just so happend that last week I drove my girlfriends car for a few days to put some brakes on it and she drove my truck. The first thing she ask me when I saw here a few days later was is there somthing wrong with your truck your steering wheel vibrates an awful lot. So I now have confirmed that it is not just me. I don't know what to do, other than be and [email protected]@ at the dealer. I mean really, when your are on the freeway at say about 75 it is a constant buzzing almost as if you had a vibrater in your hand, and it kinda is cyclical, meanig it increase and decreases slightly. but is always noticeable. It makes me somewhat angry that I have taken it in to the dealer 4 times now about this same issue and they just send me home with the same issue. So I am seeeking some guidance from my fellow tundra solutions friends. What do you think it is and what should my course of action be. Thanks,
Chad
Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Front diff?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ask the service manager to ride along with you so you can show him. I'm guessing that they haven't done that with you? Do you have the factory wheels and tires?

Vibration - is it only in the steering wheel? or can you feel it in other area's of the truck?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is the stock tires and the vibration can be felt in the steering wheel and floor. The tech at the dealership has drove while I rode with him on 3 occasions and he says he notices it but "Although the tundra is a nice truck it is still a truck". I am just really dissappointed that they won't do anything, it is like they just pacify me to get me out of there. But I have had time to try to identify the issue and if you start of slow at about 45 to 50 the vibration is very cyclical kinda like a buzz, buzz, buzzz. And once you get to about 75 it is a constant buzzing, you can feel it most notibly if you hold the bottom of the steering wheel. I beleive it is the differential problem everyone speeks of, I mean it is reasonable to think that since there are 2 TSB's regarding the diff that is most reasonlbly the problem. But in the TSB it says there should be WU, WU, Wu sound at low speeds, and my truck dooesn't do that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
tell him to jump in a new one and ride along with you and if the new one does it too, you'll shut up and go home... but if it doesn't he needs to fix the damn thing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Hello, I have a 2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7. It has 35k miles on it and I bought it new. For about 6 months now I have been noticeing a vibration that is felt mostly in the steering column and floor, it can be felt at lower speeds but you have to really pay attention but at about 45 it is constant almost like a buzzing feeling and once you get up to highway speeds it is a constant and very noticable buzzing/vibration felt. I have been to the dealership 4 times now and told them what I felt and describe the symptoms to them and they keep it all day only to tell me they balance the tires and everything is good. So I go pick it up and as soon as I pull out of there, I still feel this vibration. It is not the tires as the vibraiton/buzzing is exactly the same after each tire rotation and balance. So I thought maybe I am being too critical of the truck but it just so happend that last week I drove my girlfriends car for a few days to put some brakes on it and she drove my truck. The first thing she ask me when I saw here a few days later was is there somthing wrong with your truck your steering wheel vibrates an awful lot. So I now have confirmed that it is not just me. I don't know what to do, other than be and [email protected]@ at the dealer. I mean really, when your are on the freeway at say about 75 it is a constant buzzing almost as if you had a vibrater in your hand, and it kinda is cyclical, meanig it increase and decreases slightly. but is always noticeable. It makes me somewhat angry that I have taken it in to the dealer 4 times now about this same issue and they just send me home with the same issue. So I am seeeking some guidance from my fellow tundra solutions friends. What do you think it is and what should my course of action be. Thanks,
Chad
Semper Fi
so....Chad, how do you really know what it feels like to have a vibrator in your hand? :)

Chad

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good one Barney Fife, out of all that you are calling me out on the vibrator comment, I hear ya>

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
My truck was plagued with vibrations. Unfortunately, I never got it resolved and was eventually told by the dealer that it was normal.

I did however get my front diff replaced twice. You mention that at 45 to 50 that its cyclical in nature. This is usually a symptom of the front diff problem.

But, even after getting the diff replacements, I still had a vibration in the steering wheel, pedals and floor. This was also accompanied by a drone type sound that was very prominent when under light acceleration or load.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm thinking the problem could be resolved by moving to another dealership. You need to find someone who knows their vibrators.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to amend my earlier post. I would like to withdraw the term vibrator in an effort to gain some clarity on the intention of this post. The term I will be using to replace vibrator will be electric razer. So the sentence will now read, I mean really, when your are on the freeway at say about 75 it is a constant buzzing almost as if you had a electric razer in your hand.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
228 Posts
razOr Chad, razOr. It was either me or BF.................:):):)hope you get it fixed.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Maybe you have a warped rotor

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would like to amend my earlier post. I would like to withdraw the term vibrator in an effort to gain some clarity on the intention of this post. The term I will be using to replace vibrator will be electric razer. So the sentence will now read, I mean really, when your are on the freeway at say about 75 it is a constant buzzing almost as if you had a electric razer in your hand.
Semper Fi
You can SHAVE with those????

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I will skip the opportunity to comment on the said vibrator, and just say I would find a new dealership or at a minimum have a different service writer or tech ride with you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did they do the road force balance and rotate the tires as well?
I guess you already know. There are many difference way to balance a tire. For the tundra, it calls for the road force balance.

I have the same problem with my CrewMax w/ 20" stock rims but it goes every time after a balaning and rotation.
But it comes back every 4k or so.

Go to another dealer.
Ask them to put your truck on the aligment mech, road force balance the tires and rotate them as well.
Good Luck. Let me know if it helps after they check the items i mentioned.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I'll skip the vibrator/razor deal - it's just WAY too easy LOL ........
I would also find a different dealership to look at it. You have a problem and it needs to be fixed.

Semper Fi - Thank you for serving.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Maybe you have a warped rotor
Check into this, as I remember alot of members complaining about the rotors warping relatively early...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Chad
Semper Fi
Sounds like typical Toyota to me? I have similar characteristics. My steering wheel at highway speeds is very shaky. I'm sure it is just the ultra stiff suspension that Toyota designed for towing large loads. Between 50 and just below 60 mph I get what feels like drive-shaft resistance but it's probably just some special design/feature.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts