Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
I'll be picking up my new Tundra soon and I need to get it set up for work. There are so many different options and possibilities, but for the first while I think I'll just stick with a headache rack and crossbox, maybe put some bed rails on, and a wooden bed liner. Now my question is for those who have purchased, used, or seen various racks on the new Tundras. What are your preffences and why? I think I'd like to get a black one with a black tool box, think it would look good on my white truck. The safety rack from back rack looks decent but it's sold at Canadian Tire so I'm not so sure... anybody had good or bad results with this or any other racks that you'd like to share? I'd preffer to not have to drill into the truck to mount it.
O ya, it's a double cab.

Thanks for any input!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
What kind of work do you do that makes you worry about the back glass?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work in the oil field. It's more for carrying tubing and ladders and stuff, but I also like the idea of not taking off the heads of myself and any passengers in the event of a crash with a load in the back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wish I'd bought one for mine, we were loading firewood into the back of my DC when my wife tossed a log a little high and it caught the rear corner of the back window shattering the fixed glass panel behind the driver of the sliding rear window. Cheapest replacement was $550 for a single pane of glass, another sliding rear window would have been $800. Talk about a headache...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Wish I'd bought one for mine, we were loading firewood into the back of my DC when my wife tossed a log a little high and it caught the rear corner of the back window shattering the fixed glass panel behind the driver of the sliding rear window. Cheapest replacement was $550 for a single pane of glass, another sliding rear window would have been $800. Talk about a headache...
you are lucky...alot of glass companies make u replace the entire slider....usualy u cant get the single pieces.

headache racks are ugly. :)

my neighbor has something for his ladders that fits in his stake pockets on his ram. but he takes them off on weekends and when he's not needing them so the truck looks good still.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I'm still at work, I'll try and get some better pictures of mine for ya. It was custom built by a local fabricator though :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David,
did it cost you much more to have one custom built?

Ugly or not, I'm not going to risk it. Besides the main purpose of this truck is for industrial work, and I'm a function over form kinda guy (to an extent, I still want it to look as good as possible WITH a headache rack!)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Ugly or not, I'm not going to risk it. Besides the main purpose of this truck is for industrial work, and I'm a function over form kinda guy (to an extent, I still want it to look as good as possible WITH a headache rack!)
David's does look like it belongs on the truck. You're line of work, go for it. Get some pics up when you get it completed. :tu:

Most of us tend to forget that we are basically weekend warrior truck guys, but some folks actually need 'em for real work. :D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
David,
did it cost you much more to have one custom built?

Kelso, I only spent $250 on the rack and maybe $45 on the lights. Mine is bolted down on the stake pockets in the bed and my toolbox also sits on top of rack rails. If you look straight at it from behind everything lines up perfectly with the third brake light, angle of the cab, etc. I had it built slightly taller than the cab so when I carry ladders or wood I just lean it up against the rack and tie it down so I can still have the tailgate up :) It's also built out of only 1-1/2" tubing because I didn't want it to be so chunky and obvious.

I'm looking through my photo albums and these are the only two shots I have that are halfway decent. But at least you get the picture of what it looks like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
David,
not sure if it's just my computer but the pics aren't showing up. Can anybody else see them?
$250 isn't bad for custom built, especially considering they seem to be about $300+ (Canadian) for a prebuilt. Maybe thats the route I'll go.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I can see it 'em. Looks industrial w/o being gaudy. :tu:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
DavidT.;1462910 [IMG said:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e326/DavidT12/Tundra/TundraN3.jpg[/IMG]

Kelso, can you see them in my reply here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kelso:

Davids pictures are there when I look. And that custom built rack sure looks good! I think you might want to at least check what a local steel shop can do for you. Why not make your's unique.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, still can't see the pic. Stupid laptop. Local server won't even let me go to the photobucket url.
O well, when I get back into town I'll swing by a fab shop or two and see what they can whip up for me and what it'll cost.

I'm sure pumped to get my truck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Kelso, I can email them to you as well. PM me your email address :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone cut me off in traffic and my ATV hopped up and smashed my right side read window. Of course, being a genius, I went and bought a headache rack AFTER this happened. I cut two pieces of exterior 3/8" plywood and drive screwed them together in the opening, painted it black and ground off the screws from the inside. Replacing the glass was not in the budget. I love the rack and use it for lots of things I had not thought of. I bought new tires last month and that fresh tread raised the rack corners just enough to hit a fire sprinkler head in a local parking garage I had missed before - LOL that was someone else's headache.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts