Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaky windshield and need to remove my headboard in order to seal the leak. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. I really don't see how water is even getting into the car because everything looks to be sealed pretty well. It doesn't seem to leak when I wash it, but does when it rains.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I have a leaky windshield and need to remove my headboard in order to seal the leak. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. I really don't see how water is even getting into the car because everything looks to be sealed pretty well. It doesn't seem to leak when I wash it, but does when it rains.
Heres a PDF on how to remove the headliner.

You dont need to remove it if your resealing the windshield, none of the glass shops around here do.
Good luck finding your water leak and becareful the headliner is very fragile and bends and dents very easily.
WASH YOUR HANDS ALOT, the natural oils form your hands will stain it, or the use of Rubber gloves is recommended.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I already had the windshield looked at by a repair shop, and they couldn't find the leak. They pulled down the front of the headliner to blow compressed air, but didn't find anything. I took a look myself, and saw that there appeared to be a small gap around one of the fastening clips, so I had them seal it. That was a couple months ago, and I thought it solved the problem. Evidently, it didnt. The leak did move to the center of the windshield as opposed to the driver's side though.

I would like to avoid replacing the entire windshield, but may have to. Apparently the windshield is in one piece (trim and all), and can't be repaired (sealed) from the outside.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I already had the windshield looked at by a repair shop, and they couldn't find the leak. They pulled down the front of the headliner to blow compressed air, but didn't find anything. I took a look myself, and saw that there appeared to be a small gap around one of the fastening clips, so I had them seal it. That was a couple months ago, and I thought it solved the problem. Evidently, it didnt. The leak did move to the center of the windshield as opposed to the driver's side though.

I would like to avoid replacing the entire windshield, but may have to. Apparently the windshield is in one piece (trim and all), and can't be repaired (sealed) from the outside.
Find another glass shop
You dont have to REPLACE IT, RESEAL IT COMPLETLEY.
They reseal them right here at my dealership on the lot and do not remove the headliner.
They only take down the rear view mirror, visors and maybe the "A" pillar mouldings on the inside, the rest is done from the outside.
They cut out the windshieled, clean all the old gooey stuff, install new seals, there is a side seal on each side and one across the top, then it is GLUED into place with GOOEY stuff. It's all done from the outside.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought. I have watched them replace windshields on prior vehicles, but was told the entire windshield was one piece and could not be reseated. They said it would have to be destroyed to get it off. So you are saying that you know for a fact that a factory Tundra windshield can be sealed from the outside? If so, I should be able to remove the trim pieces (outside of truck) myself right?

I don't see how else water could be getting in but from the sides where there is a small gap between the roof and the windshield which likely is letting water in. If that is the case, then one of my side seals is probably letting the water through.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
That's what I thought. I have watched them replace windshields on prior vehicles, but was told the entire windshield was one piece and could not be reseated. They said it would have to be destroyed to get it off. So you are saying that you know for a fact that a factory Tundra windshield can be sealed from the outside?YES If so, I should be able to remove the trim pieces (outside of truck) myself right? NO

I don't see how else water could be getting in but from the sides where there is a small gap between the roof and the windshield which likely is letting water in. If that is the case, then one of my side seals is probably letting the water through.
The OUTSIDE TRIM PIECES are GLUED IN WHEN THE WINDSHIELD is installed. It all has to be installed together as a unit. THEY (outside trim pieces) MIGHT HAVE TO BE REPLACED WHEN RESEALING THE WINDSHIELD. Cutting them out usually destroys them, not the windshield.

If they break it upon removal then they are doing something wrong.
The only trim pieces you can remove are in THE INTERIOR, but all I was saying is the HEADLINER DOES NOT have to be removed for them to reseal the windshield.
We have it done to Tacomas all the time for wind noises.
My own personal tundra 2002, has had a windhsield replaced from rock cracks and they did not remove the headliner or replace the OUTER TRIM PIECES.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Thanks for your help. I will try just removing some of the interior pieces (lamp, visors, etc.) so I can pull down the head liner enough to see what is going on. Hopefully a bead of polyurethane will do the trick.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Ok. Thanks for your help. I will try just removing some of the interior pieces (lamp, visors, etc.) so I can pull down the head liner enough to see what is going on. Hopefully a bead of polyurethane will do the trick.
:tu: GOOD LUCK :tu: :D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I removed several trim pieces today so I could pull the head liner down somewhat. I sealed the entire windshield along the top from the inside. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts