Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leaky windshield and need to remove my headboard in order to seal the leak. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. I really don't see how water is even getting into the car because everything looks to be sealed pretty well. It doesn't seem to leak when I wash it, but does when it rains.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I already had the windshield looked at by a repair shop, and they couldn't find the leak. They pulled down the front of the headliner to blow compressed air, but didn't find anything. I took a look myself, and saw that there appeared to be a small gap around one of the fastening clips, so I had them seal it. That was a couple months ago, and I thought it solved the problem. Evidently, it didnt. The leak did move to the center of the windshield as opposed to the driver's side though.

I would like to avoid replacing the entire windshield, but may have to. Apparently the windshield is in one piece (trim and all), and can't be repaired (sealed) from the outside.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought. I have watched them replace windshields on prior vehicles, but was told the entire windshield was one piece and could not be reseated. They said it would have to be destroyed to get it off. So you are saying that you know for a fact that a factory Tundra windshield can be sealed from the outside? If so, I should be able to remove the trim pieces (outside of truck) myself right?

I don't see how else water could be getting in but from the sides where there is a small gap between the roof and the windshield which likely is letting water in. If that is the case, then one of my side seals is probably letting the water through.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Thanks for your help. I will try just removing some of the interior pieces (lamp, visors, etc.) so I can pull down the head liner enough to see what is going on. Hopefully a bead of polyurethane will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I removed several trim pieces today so I could pull the head liner down somewhat. I sealed the entire windshield along the top from the inside. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.