Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Installed JBAs some time back. Well worth the time. REad all he posts in TS, a great help and have the correct tools on hand. Takes patience and time, but is block and tackle work, not magic:happy3d:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am currently in the middle of installing my headers...and when I mean in the middle I actually mean I installed the drivers side header 20 days ago and yes I have been driving around with a JBA drivers side header and a factory manifold on passenger side. I was ignorant to which side was more difficult so I just started with the drivers side which really wasn't that terrible to me considering none of these bolt/nuts had been turned since manufactured in 2004! Drivers side took about 4hrs basically. Then came the B!%$* side also know as the passenger side. I actually was going along quite smoothly until those 2 dreaded middle lower bolts, but the furthermost lower middle bolt was not bad. However, the upper and lower nuts second from front of motor would not budge. I finally got the top one off 2 days ago, so now I'm down to the lower one and I don't know how I ever missed it reading these threads but making a semi-deep socket should do the trick. I had to get the top one off with a bolt extractor because I ate the bolt to shreds trying to get it off and then finished it off with the extractor. I am really really avoiding taking off the motor mount, I am going home today to make a semi deep socket and hopefully finish this off. I already noticed improvement with one header, I'm ready to get the full effect!!!

I feel your pain literally when you were discussing your arms/hands getting tore up, mine burned like hell when I finally took a shower and not to mention I had to bleach and scrub out the shower on account of it changing from white to black after I was done!! I like what one of yall said too about doing stuff like this is what builds character, yes it does!! And makes you a helluva lot proud of the things you do when you do it yourself, like you earned it!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i got ebay headers too for about $130 too. I paid a guy $40 for each side to swap out. he did one per day.
both sides were bad. psgnr side was loose from the head. last owner tried to swap them out and failed stripping bolts.
driver side was actualy broke into pieces when removed.
with ebay headers on. its much quieter. I have more pickup and no flutter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@stoner
I'm sorry I didn't get into Toyota's sooner. I could have experienced the joy of this post 13 years ago. Thanks for a perfect description of what its like working on projects like this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Reading this thread is a nice refresher because after 8 years after installing SSAutochrome headers on my 01 they are starting to leak at the welds. Not bad for cheap headers that got worked extremely hard. This time I went all out and bought JBA Titanium Ceramic coated headers along with OEM gaskets and copper RTV to be used at the collector flanges. Looking back at my prior install once I took out the drivers side engine mount it made removal and installation MUCH more easier. My plan is to raise the engine and remove the engine mounts from both sides and having a partner to complete the install in a weekend (if possible on a Saturday so I have Sunday to rip the truck around.)

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,234 Posts
I installed JBA Titanium Ceramic coated cat-forward headers on my '02 about 140,000 miles & 14 years ago, they are working as advertised with zero leaks.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts