Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a flowmaster exhaust on my truck for a while, i think it is time to get a new setup, What headers are the best for 2005 4.7L Tundra? JBA, THorley,..... And i still have to pass smog in Cali, Shorty or mid? Anyone that has a setup, tell me what is good and bad, performance and sound. What setup would work best.. Thanks

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i would check out both web site's. both are very good. these are the only 2 i would recommend.
if they don't have the answer on there web site, as far as calf. legal. than call them.
also i'm sure we have many calf, members that could tell you.
i belive shortie's are legal,but long headers are not legal.
i know jba has a life time warrenty, not sure about doug thorley.
jba is suppose to have more mid to high range. that is what people said.
honestly i smoke my tie. so i have low end power.
DG is suppose to be beter at low range.
honestly either 1's you like buy.
it's hard to do, if you can afford to pay, do it. about 600 to install.
also use only OEM gaskets you will know why if you see them, compared to the
set's they send you. a HUGE difference.
you will not have to go back in to retighten them once installed.
if done correctly. i gladly paid it. knowing what i read.
jba or DT are around 450 + 100 for oem gaskets + installation.
is it worth it, yes 100%.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just got through putting a set of trd headers on my tundra but havent gotten the truck back from having some welding on the exhaust done yet.

I have seen a lot of posts about the JBA and DT headers and everyone seems to like them.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just talked to JBA, and i guess for 2005 and up are not legal in Cali, they added injection system or something so i guess you wont be able to get it to pass smog anywhere.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i wonder about a guy selling here, his trd calf. headers.
look in the classified's here. take a peak, you have nothing to loose.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are the TRD headers discontinued? I haven't been able to find them anywhere?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Hmmmm, the smog legal issues in CA suck. I'm running Short Jba's but I have an 03, so no air tubes to worry about. As far as install goes, it isn't nearly as bad as so many make it out to be. $600 install, complete rip off in my opinion. I understand shops have hourly rates, but if you go by the JBA's installed thread from DEREK24 and check my added notes, you can get it done easily. After doing mine, I would never pay to have them done. It really isn't hard, just takes a bit of time and preparation. I know it is a little harder for your year, and harder for 4WD, but it's not bad. I think it comes down to what kind of hands on skills you have. I had never installed headers on a V8 before, and I am sure I could do it again in 5hours or less, and be done before the 18 pack is done.

Get Percy's header gaskets, they are about $30 at summit. Get the 3" Percy's gaskets for the collectors too. I also say get the OEM nuts, but be sure to pay list price, not sale price. I didn't need to re torque mine, I checked and they were fine.

Whatever you decide, if you need a hand or just some advice, let me know. I'm in Riverside, so I'm not too far away.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hmmmm, the smog legal issues in CA suck. I'm running Short Jba's but I have an 03, so no air tubes to worry about. As far as install goes, it isn't nearly as bad as so many make it out to be. $600 install, complete rip off in my opinion. I understand shops have hourly rates, but if you go by the JBA's installed thread from DEREK24 and check my added notes, you can get it done easily. After doing mine, I would never pay to have them done. It really isn't hard, just takes a bit of time and preparation. I know it is a little harder for your year, and harder for 4WD, but it's not bad. I think it comes down to what kind of hands on skills you have. I had never installed headers on a V8 before, and I am sure I could do it again in 5hours or less, and be done before the 18 pack is done.

Get Percy's header gaskets, they are about $30 at summit. Get the 3" Percy's gaskets for the collectors too. I also say get the OEM nuts, but be sure to pay list price, not sale price. I didn't need to re torque mine, I checked and they were fine.

Whatever you decide, if you need a hand or just some advice, let me know. I'm in Riverside, so I'm not too far away.
Dito!! x10!:D I kinda want to do another set:rolleyes:.

Check this out:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/181308-jba-headers-installed/

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You are MORE than welcome to come to my house and do mine for me! Any plans to be in MA in the near future? LOL
LOL!! I've never been to the east coast before.:laughing3d::tu:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I kind of feel the same way, it was fun once it got going. Maybe that's just the beer mixing with the MADness. :nod: :beer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts