Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping some one could help me. I am looking for adviceas to whether I should go with a S/C or just JBA headers on my 2006 DC XSP. Thanks

·
Registered
910 Posts
There's a lot of information on the board about this topic.

In a nutshell, conventional wisdom seems to be that the '05 and '06 vvti motors do not benefit from headers or other mods like cold air intakes.

An S/C will always boost performance (pun intended). TRD units are not available for the vvti motors. Someone does make a centrifugal system. Expect to pay $4k+ for a new setup. Also, I know that the 4-speed autos really need to have the valve body re-worked (check out IPT). I don't know about the 5-speed autos.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The 5spd auto needs the IPT valve body as well. Too bad it doesn't come as a combo kit! :D

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
There's a lot of information on the board about this topic.

In a nutshell, conventional wisdom seems to be that the '05 and '06 vvti motors do not benefit from headers or other mods like cold air intakes.
ANY engine will benefit from exhaust headers to some degree - if you look at the stock manifold on any tundra you'll see that the center 2 cylinders exhaust into a brick wall of pipe. This arrangement will cause exhaust pulses to bleed into the neighboring cylinders next in firing sequence working against the volumetric efficiency of it's combustion cycle. Anyone that has messed around with muscle cars will tell you that the use of a header, if carefully selected, will greatly improve overall engine performance throughout the rpm range. The dyno numbers may not reflect the performance gains, but you'll feel the difference in part throttle performance where most everyday driving is done.

It's common knowledge that the tundra doesn't adapt very well to engine airflow modifications. This is mainly due to the fact that these engines run very lean to begin with and every step towards better volumetric efficiency will worsen this situation without correction of more fuel. Part throttle performance will however be better because the O2 sensors will always try to keep the engine in the 14.7:1 A/F range under light throttle conditions providing some minimal correction.

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with some of the MAF calibrator add ons here!? Please let us know your findings!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts