Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at all the threads about HeadLight Adjustment for the Vertical, I even looked at the PDF file. The picture in the PDF is not clear as too where the screw is.. it kinda points to my front bumper...
I also read about it being just to the right ontop by the fender...

I look and LOOOoooOOk, but can't find this stupid screw adjuster...

Can any point out or give a picture showing a dumb @ss like me... its some time the simple things in life that elude me...lol..

Thanks

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I've looked at all the threads about HeadLight Adjustment for the Vertical, I even looked at the PDF file. The picture in the PDF is not clear as too where the screw is.. it kinda points to my front bumper...
I also read about it being just to the right ontop by the fender...

I look and LOOOoooOOk, but can't find this stupid screw adjuster...

Can any point out or give a picture showing a dumb @ss like me... its some time the simple things in life that elude me...lol..

Thanks

ITs right there -- its a plastic cap you pull off and you stick your adjustment tool in there. :D

Sanosuke!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
It's not so much a screw as a gear head that has 2 plastic wings on either side. a phillips head long screw driver fits easily between the plastic tabs which aligns the screw driver and the phillips will then turn the screw/gear head. Did that confuse you more? Just know that I was looking for a screw on mine and it was not what I expected. And no, there is no cap on it.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Send beer, mine has a cap as shown with the yellow box around it, you can flip up the little door on top (yellow arrow), insert phillips and adjust, or you can remove the whole cap and use an 8mm socket or wrench.

See pics and don't forget to send that beer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Send beer, mine has a cap as shown with the yellow box around it, you can flip up the little door on top (yellow arrow), insert phillips and adjust, or you can remove the whole cap and use an 8mm socket or wrench.

Now that is wierd. That looks nothing like mine. What gives?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you very much... that is what my 07 Limited looks like.. the PDF manual image isn't even close to helping figure this one out..

PM your address to me.. I'll send beer!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Thank you very much... that is what my 07 Limited looks like.. the PDF manual image isn't even close to helping figure this one out..

PM your address to me.. I'll send beer!
The PDF file I posted DOES point out the location of the hole to insert the screw driver though. Maybe you could use a new pair of bifocals? No offense intended though.. ;)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Guys,

There are 2 adjustment screws on each headlight. One is for vertical aiming and the other is for horizontal. The one shown in the pdf is the vertical adjuster, although the diagram is a bit confusing. It is located at the bottom rear of the headlight assembly.

The screw that mxsjw is showing with the cap on it is for horizontal adjustment. You usually don't have to adjust this setting.

Here is the vertical adjuster... you just use a long phillips screwdriver to adjust it. There is a groove that guides the screwdriver down the the adjuster screw.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No cap on mine. If you use the worm gear type set up that they developed just remember that the way you turn the screw driver is the exact opposite of what you would think, as the worm drive turms the main screw clockwise to raise the headlight, so you must turn your screw driver counterclockwise. If you go the direct route and get a small socket on the main screw then it is clockwise to raise.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You SeaDragon ..

I would not been able to do this had you not provided your pictures..

And Yes.. I probably could use the glasses... but I'm not ready yet to admin I need them.. maybe a couple more years.. when I'm over 50! ...

Lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I read the PDF file correctly it syas to adjust you must turn the vertical AND horizontal screw at a 5:4 ratio for adjustment. Since I put a leveling kit on I seem to be blinding folks and wanted to adjust my headlights. Those that have performed an adjustment, did you adjust both screws at the 5:4 ratio?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I read the PDF file correctly it syas to adjust you must turn the vertical AND horizontal screw at a 5:4 ratio for adjustment. Since I put a leveling kit on I seem to be blinding folks and wanted to adjust my headlights. Those that have performed an adjustment, did you adjust both screws at the 5:4 ratio?

I could use clarifacation on this also. A very helpful thread for me. Thank you.:doh:

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
After my lift, all I did was pull up to my garage door (about 5' away), turned on the headlights, turned each screw till they were a couple inches lower, and confirmed they were even from right to left.

That's how I've adjusted the headlights on every vehicle I've ever owned, I can see at night, and I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic...Who needs some fancy smanshy directions???

·
Registered
267 Posts
After my lift, all I did was pull up to my garage door (about 5' away), turned on the headlights, turned each screw till they were a couple inches lower, and confirmed they were even from right to left.

That's how I've adjusted the headlights on every vehicle I've ever owned, I can see at night, and I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic...Who needs some fancy smanshy directions???

Beer to YOU my man!

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
And I spose' to help clarify, what the directions are telling you with the 5:4 ratio is this...

As you turn the vert. aim screw for up and down adjustment, it will also move the beam right or left some, so you will have to adjust the horiz. screw to compensate for the right or left movement.

Mark your garage door with masking tape, the headlights will create a very distinct line at close range. Mark the line for height and mark the outside edge of the line where the light cuts off. As you lower the light line with the vert. screw, bring the outside cutoff back out or in with the horiz. screw to match the tape mark.

If you've never done this before, it'll all make sense when you pull up to your garage door with the lights on...I promise...oh, and it helps if it's dark out or at least duskish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And I spose' to help clarify, what the directions are telling you with the 5:4 ratio is this...

As you turn the vert. aim screw for up and down adjustment, it will also move the beam right or left some, so you will have to adjust the horiz. screw to compensate for the right or left movement.

Mark your garage door with masking tape, the headlights will create a very distinct line at close range. Mark the line for height and mark the outside edge of the line where the light cuts off. As you lower the light line with the vert. screw, bring the outside cutoff back out or in with the horiz. screw to match the tape mark.

If you've never done this before, it'll all make sense when you pull up to your garage door with the lights on...I promise...oh, and it helps if it's dark out or at least duskish.

Great info... Thanks for the tip!:ts:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts