Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is about emission issues with smart-key, bluetooth and satellite capability (that come with JBL), or any other Camry component that may emit harmful radiation ?

Toyota has posted cautionary note with smartkey about its emitting electrical signals that can affect pacemakers. Are there other devices - eg bluetooth, car alarm, etc that have can harmful effects on people via their electrical or wireless radiation?

I get headaches from cellphones (at times) so I'll like to not get such options. Unfortunately, navigation comes with smart-key so I'll have to get after-market NAV. Disabling smart key may not work as mentioned by one toyota service guy. There are several internal smark-antennas to detect where the smart key is (inside car, out side car, etc) so I'm not sure they get disabled completely. But why would I get 6 wireless antennas in my car just to disable them and hope they don't emit anything afterwards. NAV is nice and big and clear but I am leaning towards skipping NAV as it comes bundled with smartkey - factory order takes times and I prefer not to wait that long.

I was also thinking of skipping JBL package as bluetooth comes with it. I don't intent to pair a phone with Camry's bluetooth but even then there maybe some harmful radiation coming from it - anyway to switch bluetooth system off. How much to worry about bluetooth - it seems bluetooth range is lower so its emission power is lower but it maybe constantly emitting.

JBL comes with satellite radio capability - can it emit harmful radiation without actually having installed XM/Sirus receiver ? What if I do install these receivers ?

Is there any other Camry component to worry about ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This question is about emission issues with smart-key, bluetooth and satellite capability (that come with JBL), or any other Camry component that may emit harmful radiation ?

Toyota has posted cautionary note with smartkey about its emitting electrical signals that can affect pacemakers. Are there other devices - eg bluetooth, car alarm, etc that have can harmful effects on people via their electrical or wireless radiation?

I get headaches from cellphones (at times) so I'll like to not get such options. Unfortunately, navigation comes with smart-key so I'll have to get after-market NAV. Disabling smart key may not work as mentioned by one toyota service guy. There are several internal smark-antennas to detect where the smart key is (inside car, out side car, etc) so I'm not sure they get disabled completely. But why would I get 6 wireless antennas in my car just to disable them and hope they don't emit anything afterwards. NAV is nice and big and clear but I am leaning towards skipping NAV as it comes bundled with smartkey - factory order takes times and I prefer not to wait that long.

I was also thinking of skipping JBL package as bluetooth comes with it. I don't intent to pair a phone with Camry's bluetooth but even then there maybe some harmful radiation coming from it - anyway to switch bluetooth system off. How much to worry about bluetooth - it seems bluetooth range is lower so its emission power is lower but it maybe constantly emitting.

JBL comes with satellite radio capability - can it emit harmful radiation without actually having installed XM/Sirus receiver ? What if I do install these receivers ?

Is there any other Camry component to worry about ?
None what so ever. You are sucking the fun out of the Camry...hehe! :)
I figure if there is any radiation of any significant amounts then it would come from a cell phone directly. Having it hooked up to the Blue Tooth on the car is less of a "risk".

We get bombarded by these "radiations" all the time. Microwaves in your home. Microwave emitters all over town and so on.

I will not let that control my life. It is not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes, don't let the car run over you!

Odds are less with any radiation.........

·
Registered
216 Posts
OK, I'd like to first make a disclaimer;
- I'm not a phyisict
- I'm not a scientist

OK, now that this is done...do any of you have any idea at all about particle or wave physics? I'm guess not.

There's three basic "forms" or radiation;
- ALPHA - typically stopped / blocked by dead skin cells or cloth...this is the lowest energy level of any of the three types
- BETA - Think of infrared radiation... It can induce a higher energy state in matter (i.e., warm your skin) but the overall energy level is typically not enough to do any long term damage. OK, a notable exception would be UV-B rays slowly cooking your eyeballs from not wearing good sunglasses!
- GAMMA - This is the dangerous stuff...bone-seeker...nasty. This is the stuff that will warp or disrupt your DNA... This is in the class of x-rays and such.

Bluetooth, wireless networkworking, cellphone...all of these are BETA-grade forms of radiation.

There is no widely accepted (science based) test that will correlate cell phone usage with brain tumors or headaches. The more likely cause is the volume on your cell cranked to "11" and your neck strain from holding a candy-bar sized device on your shoulder while driving and talking!

If you're worried about this kind of stuff I would strongly recommend that you make an electrical ground connection to your body and pay for no thunder storms!

Do you really think that somebody is gonna make a car that cooks you from the inside and then one day you'll POP like microwave popcorn?

Come on people...

(sorry)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts