Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I recently purchased a 2008 Sequoia Limited 4x2 with a max tow capacity of 9500. She's a beast and we love her! She towed our Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 great, although it was only 3500lbs dry with a 430lb tongue weight. But we did use a weight distributing hitch.

I'm looking at buying a 2022 Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2506S that has a dry weight of about 5500lbs, 1400lb cargo capacity, and GVWR of about 6950lbs. But here's the kicker -- they are listing a 814 lb hitch weight for this thing.

Are any of you towing anything with that heavy of a hitch?? I hear you are supposed to stay within a 10-15% range for hitch weight, and I CANNOT for the life of me find anything definitive for the Sequoia Limited's max hitch weight. Cars.com states 950lbs with a weight distributing hitch, but I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into cars.com.

I would be using a weight distributing hitch bottom line, but I know with 2 batteries and full LP tanks, I might be pushing it know the Sequoia's payload isn't that great.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can’t speak to the hitch weight but you should be aware that there was no industry standard calculation for tow capacity until around 2012. Prior to that time, tow capacity specs were overly stated.

My 2012 Sequoia has a tow capacity of 7,300 lbs with the new calculation and Sequoias ever since are around that number. Nothing impactful in the Sequoia build reduced the capacity from 9500 lb in 2008 to 7200 in 2012.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Call a "hitch" installer and ask them. They must have a way to check. If they think you are shopping for a hitch they may be able to check it out. Don't give them your numbers, just ask about max and hitch recommendations. Sounds pretty heavy to me??? Chap

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2x4 5.7L
89 Posts
Max tongue weight is typically 9 - 11% of your max towing capacity, trailer tongue weight, pg 236 2008 manual. 950 lbs seems accurate for your model code of USK60L-GKTLKA based on your stated 9500 lbs towing capacity. Your Cargo capacity is 1330 LBS 2008 manual pg 234 & 543. With a WDH and a 814 LBS tongue weight you are only left with 516 lbs of cargo capacity, people and stuff, you could put in the Sequoia while towing that trailer. That is not accounting for the Propane tanks and batteries like you mentioned. If you need to add to propane tanks and 2 Deep Cycle batteries that is easily another 150-200 lbs which would exceed the 950. Adding airbags, like airlift 1000s, does not increase capacity. They just help control the load better. Tires need to be at Max stated sidewall pressure as well, IMHO. The 33 PSI stated on the door sticker is for everyday driving not max loads. More stability, less side wall flex and less heat build up in the tires at higher PSI.

Per the manual with your Model you "could" tow that TT, with the 814 lbs tongue weight. "Should" you tow it is another question. Like greghoro stated they standardized the way tow ratings are determined in 2012, well actually slightly before that but the manufactures resisted the changes. With the new standard capacities you are beyond the limits.

I have a 2008 also. My model code with towing package says I could tow 10000 lbs with a 1000 lbs tongue weight. Would I do that??? Hell no. I also believe in the 85% rule for safety. I would not tow more than 85% of my stated towing capacity. 8500 by the manual or 6375 by the new standards. I've put 7000 lbs behind mine for a couple hundred miles. I would not want to do that regularly. If I was towing the TT you described, with the maxed out 1400 lbs cargo, I would want a 3/4 ton with a diesel or a newer 1/2 ton pickup with a newer standardized tow rating of 10-12000 lbs.

Just my opinions and you know what those are like. ;)

Reactions: rrwood

·
Registered
18 Posts
I might be wrong but I do pull myself a CrossRoads Sunset Trail SS239BH with 550 dry hitch weight. When picking up my trailer tongue weight was one of my concerns because of the limited payload capacity.

It is my understanding that there isn't any clear indication of the maximum tongue weight anywhere in the manual because the hitch on our "trucks" is welded to the frame and effectively is a part of it therefore as long as you stay within maximum payload capacity and each axle capacity you are just fine. Assuming that you have a way to distribute the load between the axles so they both stay within their limit (like through weight distribution hitch) it is my understanding that you could in theory take even a trailer with 1100 lbs tongue weight. It was never clear to me if the weight of the driver goes against the max payload or if it is already somehow accounted for.

Easiest way to check if everything is OK is to hook up the trailer, load it like for the actual trip and stop by some CAT scales - obviously not something you can do in current RV market.

Regarless, with trailer of that tongue weight you will be damn close to the maximum payload - I'd probably look into a different floorplan if I were you.

At least you will be shorter than me with my setup :D

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don’t understand why the trailer has such a high tongue/hitch weight rating versus GVWR. Should be easily loaded to achieve 10% of GVWR, which assumes full propane and batteries. So that should be 695 pounds. Not 814. I’d go onto Facebook and look for a group owning that trailer and ask them whether it REALLY has a 814 pound tongue/hitch weight. Mine have always been very close to 10% when I weigh them on the scales, unless I loaded it wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just take 10% of your loaded (guess if you don't know because you can estimate all of the weight you have added) trailer weight and use that for the tongue weight. I would try and stay a couple of thousand pounds under the total towable weight of the tow vehicle. Sure you can always max it out but do you really want to? In both my tow vehicles I'm towing way under the max tow weight and like it. 06 Tundra and the one in the picture.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts