Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
Something weird happened today and I hope you can help.

When I started my truck tonight after work, the starter seemed to keep going after I let off the key. Then when I shut the engine off, it seemed to keep running. It all happened so fast, and I panicked so I'm not exactly sure what happened. But I do know the starter motor did "something: weord.

Any idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its normal don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
seriously?
To clarify, I think this is only available on the V8 (somebody correct me), when you turn the key, you can let go immediately and the starter will continue cranking until the truck starts.

So that's normal.

However, you said when you turned the truck off it kept running?

So you had pulled the key out of the ignition and the motor was still running? If so, then that's not normal.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Mine did the same thing two weeks ago. I took it in and of course "could not duplicate" was all the tech said. My service advisor was kind enough to inform me that I have to release the key after the initial turn to when I start the truck. It is hard to describe but the starter seems to keep cranking and the engine sounds like it is bogging down. I have an early 2006 DC with 15000 miles on it. I hope we didn't get some kind of bad relay or weird starter. Is anyone else having this problem??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did the same thing two weeks ago. I took it in and of course "could not duplicate" was all the tech said. My service advisor was kind enough to inform me that I have to release the key after the initial turn to when I start the truck. It is hard to describe but the starter seems to keep cranking and the engine sounds like it is bogging down. I have an early 2006 DC with 15000 miles on it. I hope we didn't get some kind of bad relay or weird starter. Is anyone else having this problem??
Your description of the problem is exactly what happened. The engine started, but it sure didn't sound right. Mine has 40k miles with lots of starts/stops (2 kids)

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Your description of the problem is exactly what happened. The engine started, but it sure didn't sound right. Mine has 40k miles with lots of starts/stops (2 kids)
Ah the bogging down noise, that's normal.

In any other vehicle I would stop cranking the engine if it made the bogging noise, but with autostart it just keeps cranking.

Winter seems to be the worst for it.

Either way, what you guys are describing is normal. Welcome to the wacky world of the Tundra.

Not to worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts