Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I finished installing Hella 500 driving lights in my wife's 2007 Sequoia this morning, and with the exception of having to relocate the ground wires for the lights, they worked perfectly. They are connected to the high beams. The only problem is that 20 minutes ago (8:30ish pm) she looked out the front door to look at my handiwork, and realized that the lights were on (and glowing through the lens covers).

Needless to say, I was a bit confused, since the keys were in my pocket. I took a look in the cab, no keys in ignition, high beams were off, lights on the column were off, and the Hella switch was off. But they were shining away. I put keys in ignition, switched highs on, Hella switch on and off, and eventually the lights went out.

I'm no electrician, but I know enough, and my next-door neighbor helped me out, and he's an electrical lineman/supervisor for public utilities. I'm pretty confident that the wiring was done correctly.

Any ideas why the lights would be on?

Thanks,
Bigblueq

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lighting system was wired as the 4runner.org showed, with the exception that I spliced both lamp ground wires (blue on the diagram) into one ground. Aside from that everything else was connected according to those instructions.

Actually, those are instructions I followed originally, since the original Hella instructions had the 85 terminal on the relay feeding the switch, and the 86 was the ground, the opposite of the 4runner diagram. The Hella diagram also showed only two connections on the switch, w/o the ground. I'm sure all of this sounds familiar to you, I know it's been an ongoing issue on these boards.

Also, last night, around midnight, I noticed that the lights were on AGAIN, even after I got them off at 8:30. My spliced lamp grounds end with a male connector, and the final ground wire has the female. I yanked the connection apart to get some sleep.

But my final questions are, Where is the power coming from to light the bulbs, with no key in ignition, column switch is off, highbeams are off, and driving light switch is off? And why do the lights come on randomly?

Thanks again,
BigBlueQ

·
Random Poster
414 Posts
The lighting system was wired as the 4runner.org showed, with the exception that I spliced both lamp ground wires (blue on the diagram) into one ground. Aside from that everything else was connected according to those instructions.

Actually, those are instructions I followed originally, since the original Hella instructions had the 85 terminal on the relay feeding the switch, and the 86 was the ground, the opposite of the 4runner diagram. The Hella diagram also showed only two connections on the switch, w/o the ground. I'm sure all of this sounds familiar to you, I know it's been an ongoing issue on these boards.

Also, last night, around midnight, I noticed that the lights were on AGAIN, even after I got them off at 8:30. My spliced lamp grounds end with a male connector, and the final ground wire has the female. I yanked the connection apart to get some sleep.

But my final questions are, Where is the power coming from to light the bulbs, with no key in ignition, column switch is off, highbeams are off, and driving light switch is off? And why do the lights come on randomly?

Thanks again,
BigBlueQ
Bad relay?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts