Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and really need some assistance on Brake. I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.5L that I purchased new. I have taken very good care of this truck and I'm proud to say its still going strong with well over 350K in miles.

Here is my question -I currently have the od brakes style S 13 WE and want to move over to the larger S 13WL brake calipers, I am so tired of braking issues and warping rotors, I am currently installing Drilled ad slotted rotors but waned to upgrade the caliper if the results are worth the effort. Does anyone know if this is a difficult upgrade an if the stock wheel will fit over these calipers? From what I have read, he mounting bosses are the same so should bolt on fine, I just wonder about the clearance all the way around. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did the upgrade to the larger calipers on my 2000 Limited 35,000 miles ago and it not only solved all my brake problems with warped rotors etc. but gave me much better stopping power. I followed the guide found in the instructions found here http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-brakes/117584-how-to-early-tundra-brake-upgrade/ and found it to be a very simple upgrade. Not really any harder that a regular brake job. The only difference is that you need to cut the brake backing plate to allow the new calipers to fit. I used a 3" high speed cut of tool and it took maybe 5 minutes to cut the backing plate. I didn't have any clearance issues at all and I am running stock wheels. For me this upgrade was totally worth the effort and is probably the best mod I have done.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hello, I am new to this forum and really need some assistance on Brake. I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.5L that I purchased new. I have taken very good care of this truck and I'm proud to say its still going strong with well over 350K in miles.

Here is my question -I currently have the od brakes style S 13 WE and want to move over to the larger S 13WL brake calipers, I am so tired of braking issues and warping rotors, I am currently installing Drilled ad slotted rotors but waned to upgrade the caliper if the results are worth the effort. Does anyone know if this is a difficult upgrade an if the stock wheel will fit over these calipers? From what I have read, he mounting bosses are the same so should bolt on fine, I just wonder about the clearance all the way around. Any thoughts?

Everything will bolt on just the same. The only problem is the dust shield. You'll need to replace the dust shield or, better yet, grab some metal snippers to just cut away enough of the dust shield to make the bigger calipers fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts