Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've been checking out this board and am looking forward to being a member... I live down in Laguna beach, but am making a move up to Lake Tahoe... which has a lot to do with why I joined this community... I am in the process of selling my "car" and am very very close to buying a new '07 Tacoma, 4x4, Off road pkg. However, I could use your thoughts before I fully commit to the purchase...

I'm concerned with two things - one, traction in the snow, and two, what's in store for '08...

1. Snow. This is really my primary concern. I'm coming from the beach and the land of 10 lane highways and moving up to the mountains at ~ 8,600'. I need to make sure that whatever I do I have good traction (4x4 - off road pkg w/locking differential...) in the snow, and deep snow at that. I looked at Subaru's, etc. but I've ALWAYS wanted a Tacoma. Question is, what are your experiences? Am I going to have to put a lot of weight in the back come winter...? If I get a cap (snug top? ...not sure I want to do this), would that be a significant help due to the weight??

2. '08. Does anybody know what is in store for 2008? Disc brakes in the rear? By the time I finish my move the snow will likely be gone. Said another way, I *could* keep my "car" for the summer up there and probably wait until the '08's come out, assuming that there is something significant worth waiting for.... Thoughts?

THANKS a lot in advance...

-Dave

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've driven my 07' all through the winter and I have to say it handled the adverse weather 'exceptionally well'. Additionally, mine is only a 4X2. Unlike the Dodge Ram I had before or even the Chevy S10 prior to that, the Tacoma handled the snow much better. I did order mine with VSC and found it to work as advertised. There was very little slipping/skidding with this vehicle-even with the VSC off. I know at times I had to force a fishtail because I wanted to be sure the VSC was still working. I know several people have complained about the off road stock tires but I found them.. so far, to be effective. I wouldn't worry about having to add weight to the cab...it's not an issue. I can't speak for other members but I think you will find it to be a consensus that will not be any major changes going forward with the 08'. When I was looking at the 06', I was hoping when the 07' production hit there would have been the 4 wheel disc option. That didn't happen and I wouldn't hold out for a 08' hoping it will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...I think you're right...I wouldn't make any bets that there will be rear disc brakes in '08...its possible, but I don't think I am going to hold out and hope for it...

Question about VSC though... I was interested in this (snow), and saw it on the website for the Tacoma...kind of. It was listed on the website, but it wasn't available as an option when you "build your own", etc. I asked a dealer about it and they said it was an error on the website, and that it isn't available on the Tacoma. I had my doubts about that, but didn't feel like arguing with the dealer at the time. So, VSC IS absolutely available, huh? Do you have a disable switch as well?

Thanks again,

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 06 4x4 DC LB TRD sport. I live just north of Syracuse, NY. We get "a bit" of snow. 135" this winter, and 90% of that was from January til mid Feb. I Love how my Taco handles the snow. I head to work before the plows come thru, and have had no problems even in 2wd. Only time I had a problem was heading up a hill from a stop in 2wd. Dropped it into 4wd, and it was like the road was dry. You really gotta get on the gas to fishtail in 4wd, and it's really easy to control when it does. I haven't heard of any significant changes for 08.... Go get an 07, NOW!:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dealers never cease to amaze me. All you have to do is spend about 15 minutes on edmunds or cars.com and you'll know more than them. Yes, VSC is still available on the 08', and if the dealer would have looked or researched they would have found out the new manufacture's code for Stability Control is 'VD'. Also, with the 07' is a VSC disable switch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in Canada. It snows here once in awhile.

Me personally, I prefer limited-slip diff to a locking diff in the snow.

My reasoning is that you can't drive around on icy/snowy roads with your diff locked and the LSD is 'always on'. I find that LSD helps alot for on-road poor traction driving. I've never used a locker in on road poor traction driving....

The thing is that the only time you're going to need a locker or LSD it is when you're spinning your wheels in a driveway or an intersection. If you have LSD you hold the gas and eventually you'll accelerate through. With a locker you have to stop, lock the diff, then accelerate, unlock and carry on your way. By the time you're done all that the guy with the LSD is already a block or more away.

The only problem with LSD in snow/ice is rear end wash-out.... that is, when the rear wheels hit ice they tend to slip sideways a little. Not a big deal if you're used to it, but an open diff vehicle rarely (if ever) washes out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think it depends when you leave for work. Do you leave early in the morning before the plows are out (around 6 am) or later in the day. Many times the roads are cleared within several hours as the tempature rises during the morning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts