Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2003 Sequoia SR5 4X4. I currently live in Fort Walton Beach, FL and in 4 weeks I will be moving to Anchorage, Alaska with my 7-month pregnant wife, 4 year old and 2 year old daughters, and 2 dogs and a cat.

I purchased the Sequoia because my 2005 Durango I had was only 2WD, although I wish I had the power and towing capacity of the 5.7l HEMI.

I am looking for suggestions from anyone who has towed with a Sequoia or who has modded a Sequoia...

I have a 31'8" travel trailer that weighs 5750 dry, and I will be driving it to Alaska. I have a heavy-duty weight distribution hitch and friction sway bar rated to 10K lbs, and the electric braking box already installed. I have only driven the trailer in Florida so I have no idea how the Sequoia will handle mountain grades.

I will be at or slightly above the 6200 lb max sequoia towing capacity, what are the best bang-for-the-buck modds that I can do to my sequoia, or have done to my sequoia to improve horsepower and torque? I will be driving over 5K miles as I'm not driving to Alaska directly, so MPG is a big factor as well.

I'm looking to keep mods at or around $500-$1000, so less $ is more!

Airfilter/Cold Air Intake/Exhaust Headers/Exhaust System/Perf Chip/Tornado Fuel Saver.... Any info on these items would be great...!

Thanks, Jeepskidew - :ts:

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Nice. I know that you think HEMI is better, but I have Sequoia and I had Durango HEMI, and love my sequoia better for towing. As far as fuel and upgrades under $1,000 - I would recomend you putting that money aside for a trip. You are not going to find anything to improve dramaticaly with $1,000. My only advise would be (as far as up-grades for towing) is get a Supercharger, and then definately you would of noticed a big difference in towing and gas savings. But Supercharger is expensive, and hard to find. So for this Alaska trip, get extra canisters of Gas and fill up with premium gas, and don't driver over 60mph with overdrive off. I drove to Fairbanks Alaska straight from Sarasota Florida, and its a bit over 5000 miles. Enjoy your trip, and I hope you have fun!

Here is my trip with my toy hauler (21 feet long and about 6,000 loaded) - in TN rest area :)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The best mod IMO for your impending trailing trip is rear airbags. And you will get out for way under $1000. We haul a 27' car trailer to Deals Gap, NC to slay the Dragon with my '03 Limited while it worked without airbags I can see them being a significant upgrade when we take off Sunday for our trip. I had the Air Lift 1000's fitted to my '03 for <$200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air Lift 1000's... Ok, I'll do some research on these. I'm not aware of airbags for towing. The only airbags I know of are for safety and lowering your ride for show. Thanks for the info! :ts:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading about the air bags/springs, I think I would like the front control or even an auto-control like the Air Lift SmartAir, however these front controls are not made to work with the Air Lift 1000.

Any suggestions for either a kit that includes both or if I even need the controller up front?

Tinik, I appreciated your picture showing the factory leveling switches. How often do you use them? Do you set it and forget it?

Thanks again. :ts:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.