Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
After trying to install my 7700 this weekend (The thread on the links were frozen, but that's another post), I got to looking at the design a bit closer.

Seems to me the bar will interfere with the E Brake cable no matter what you do.

I did a very quick model and by raising the truck by the frame only 30mm resulted in significant interference with the cable which would result in the brakes being applied.

Do I really want to install this thing? Anyone check the top of the swaybar for chaffing from the cable?

Am I totally missing something?

<TUNDRA>

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Some threads on Hellwig components are self locking and seem frozen - they are not. Just tighten the nuts to proper torque.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I believe you have your rear bar upside down. I got what I believe was the first prototype and I did the DIY step by step tutorial on the site. I installed it upside down the first time too. Be careful not to strip out the threads of the u-bolts, did that too the first time.
check it out
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/135578-do-yourself-new-hellwig-rear-stabilizer/
no disrespect intended... how can the bar be upside down when each half of the bar is a mirror image of the other? or am i misunderstanding what you are saying?

i installed this same bar on an 06 double cab with the only issue being a little paint on the threads of the end links. everything fit and cleared all existing parts fine. surely there is not a difference between the 04 ac and 06 dc rear ends that could be causing your difficulties?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Yea, it's a mirror image if you cut it in half down the centerline. But it's not if you cut the bar in half by its radius. The bar isn't flat. If you lay the bar down, the ends will be touching the ground, flip the bar over, the center section will be on the ground.

Follow 5 Speed's DIY install thread and you'll be ok.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
I didnt notice any such problem with my 05. Im pretty sure that is something I would have seen while installing it. I'll take another look tomorrow for you though and look for any chafing or any close cables.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no disrespect intended... how can the bar be upside down when each half of the bar is a mirror image of the other? or am i misunderstanding what you are saying?

i installed this same bar on an 06 double cab with the only issue being a little paint on the threads of the end links. everything fit and cleared all existing parts fine. surely there is not a difference between the 04 ac and 06 dc rear ends that could be causing your difficulties?
I followed the DIY and mounted the bar with the arms in the air ( if it was on the ground).
Yes, I did clear everything even the E brake cable by about 1/4 inch with the truck on the ground. My concern is if the truck is lifted by the frame allowing the rear axle to sag, or if I
ever catch some air, the bar / axle will move enough to engage the E brake. I will try to post
some pictures soon.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Yea, it's a mirror image if you cut it in half down the centerline. But it's not if you cut the bar in half by its radius. The bar isn't flat. If you lay the bar down, the ends will be touching the ground, flip the bar over, the center section will be on the ground.

Follow 5 Speed's DIY install thread and you'll be ok.

gottcha! i guess i'm not remembering that far back for some reason??

·
Registered
91 Posts
THe end links are adjustable in length - you may have the end links adjusted too short. The bar does have the center hump tilted down slightly but there should be plenty of clearance. Attached is a picture of the 7700 bar installed on an 06 Tundra. The center section of the bar is located rearward of the diff cover by 3-4 inches. It should have plenty of clearance to the cable.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THe end links are adjustable in length - you may have the end links adjusted too short. The bar does have the center hump tilted down slightly but there should be plenty of clearance. Attached is a picture of the 7700 bar installed on an 06 Tundra. The center section of the bar is located rearward of the diff cover by 3-4 inches. It should have plenty of clearance to the cable
Thanks for the reply Dave.

The installation on the 06 looks like mine and is why I am asking questions.

I am afraid if I ever catch air, my E Brake will engage.

Thanks,
<TUNDRA>

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's a picture of the 06 Tundra with the wheels off the ground. There is plenty of clearance to the e-brake mechanism if the end links are adjusted properly. If you have a clearance issue, adjust your end links to be long enough to clear. If they are not long enough, call me and I will send out a longer set free of charge.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a picture of the 06 Tundra with the wheels off the ground. There is plenty of clearance to the e-brake mechanism if the end links are adjusted properly. If you have a clearance issue, adjust your end links to be long enough to clear. If they are not long enough, call me and I will send out a longer set free of charge.

Thanks Dave!!

The picture is great showing the clearance in the center!

Maybe if you still have it on the lift, you can take a shot of were the cable crosses the bar arms (The area I circled in the previous post) just for my reference with the rear wheels off the ground?

Thanks,
<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vehicle is not on lift just some shots I had. Bar arms did clear cables. How much I can't tell now. This is a situation where anything over 1/4" when the wheels are hanging will be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts