Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Bunch of questions. What would be the difference between the earlier model Hellwig bar and the new (I think) 7700 series bar only? Attached is a photo of what some of the parts look like. i had to buy a whole bunch of replacement parts for they were all rusted. Arent they supose to be ajustable?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh shoot forgot to post the pic. Here it is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is this 7641 design a bad one or is it ok?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
is this 7641 design a bad one or is it ok?
If you can exchange it I would request the newer model (7700). You'll be much happier with it. There must be quite a bit of "old stock" Hellwig bars in vendors inventory.

The newer design (7700) is a much better engineered product. The fit is better and the hardware is much improved. The links are adjustable and there are three different attachment points on the bar itself to custom tailor the stiffness you want.

The old design was a little primitive in my opinion i.e. the j-bolt attachment of the end link brackets. Plus the end link bracket on the driver side is a tight fit between the gas tank and the frame.

I have the 7700 on my '01 and it made a remarkable difference in handling. No more swing and sway with Sammy Kaye. Freeway exits and on ramps can be fun. You'll find yourself pushing the limits of adhesion very quickly though.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be great if I can exchange it but the bar has been used quite a bit but resprayed so I dont think they will exchange it for me though...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I cant return or exchange this, did waste my money???

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
So if I cant return or exchange this, did waste my money???
Sorry, I didn't realize that you had already installed the bar so a return is out of the question.

No, I don't think you wasted your money. Although the older bar is not as aesthetically pleasing as the 7700, the major improvement in handling should not be noticeably different between the two. That's just my conclusion based on previous reviews of TS members on the older sway bar when it first became available.

Don't give in to buyers remorse.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The first picture that <TUNDRA> posted is the one you need. It's the older style bar with upgraded end links. The problem with the old end links is that they were just long bolts with metal sleeves over them. I actually broke one at one point.

They did change the design for the new one, but they also upgraded the end links for the older bar to help out customers that already had it.

The newer bar attaches at a difference spot, but they do the same thing. If you need help with the install, feel free to call me or e-mail me. I don't want you to feel like you got ripped off :(

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first picture that <TUNDRA> posted is the one you need. It's the older style bar with upgraded end links. The problem with the old end links is that they were just long bolts with metal sleeves over them. I actually broke one at one point.

They did change the design for the new one, but they also upgraded the end links for the older bar to help out customers that already had it.

The newer bar attaches at a difference spot, but they do the same thing. If you need help with the install, feel free to call me or e-mail me. I don't want you to feel like you got ripped off :(
No D, your good, I thought they sent me the weak end links but I confirmed with Hellwig they are the upgraded ones. I just thought I traded an Unichip and wiring harness for a sway bar thats gonna break... LOL

I cant wait to put all this on....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Haha ok good. Yeah the bar itself was fine, but like I said all the nuts and bolts were rusted and old. I've probably had that bar for 6 years!

I'm glad that Hellwig came through for you. They were good with me when the endlink broke, so I'm glad they are helping you out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts