Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of plenty of people running the Hellwig Sway bar on their 1st Gen. Tundras. I just wanted some feedback to see if the investment is worth it? Where is the best place to buy one, professional install, or did you throw it on yourself ect . . . JC Whitney has it for $292.99 + $12.99 S and H . . I haven't looked anywhere else yet, but will of course. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I wrote the DIY and was luck enough to test and install one of the first 2nd Generation bars for 1Gen Tundra and it is still working perfectly. I keep my FourWheel Camper on the back full time and will say it is easy to forget that there is an extra 700 lbs back there. I would say that for safety alone when traveling with a lot of weight it is worth it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wrote the DIY and was luck enough to test and install one of the first 2nd Generation bars for 1Gen Tundra and it is still working perfectly. I keep my FourWheel Camper on the back full time and will say it is easy to forget that there is an extra 700 lbs back there. I would say that for safety alone when traveling with a lot of weight it is worth it.

What's the main concern for "off-road." Mainly just rutted logging roads when hunting and some mud and snow, nothing serious?

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
What's the main concern for "off-road." Mainly just rutted logging roads when hunting and some mud and snow, nothing serious?
The main concern with a sway bar is that you lose oscillation of the axle. If you aren't doing any rock crawling or severe four wheeling, it won't be a problem. I put mine on myself. It's easy and straight forward. I got mine directly from hellwig. Check with them for a price before buying anywhere. Tell them you are a TS subscriber.

My truck stays loaded down pretty good with tools and parts. I'm glad I have the sway bar. One of the best things I did. I travel over fields and rutted roads all the time (heavy equipment mechanic) and it's never a problem. Make sure you get the second generation sway bar. Part number is in my signature.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, simply put, never enough, has new stock. when i bought mine, there was alot of people saying about missing parts. never enough said they have new stock. & promised that i had all the hardware.
and to there word, i had everything.
they are a great company to deal with.
i highly recommend them over all companys except buying direct from hellwig. why not try hellwig directly. you never know.

ask dave he is a member of TS. look on the member list message him, as to what you want, and any question you have. he will give you the best answer.
gorilla

neverenoughauto.com = :tu::tu:

that's where i bought hellwig rear sway form a while back. also bought the front hellwig for $165.00 from them--with free shipping. great place to deal with.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hi, simply put, never enough, has new stock. when i bought mine, there was alot of people saying about missing parts. never enough said they have new stock. & promised that i had all the hardware.
and to there word, i had everything.
they are a great company to deal with.
i highly recommend them over all companys except buying direct from hellwig. why not try hellwig directly. you never know.

ask dave he is a member of TS. look on the member list message him, as to what you want, and any question you have. he will give you the best answer.
gorilla

i spoke with dave before i bought the rear hellwig sway bar last year. after he answered a couple questions for me, dave asked me to buy from a vendor instead of directly from hellwig. this simple request showed me that hellwig cares about the folks that assist them in moving their products. never enough auto had the best price i could find at the time. looks like they still do.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, wow, you see,
great answer from dave.
& whitelitnin need's some points,
pointing how this company does business.-done!
great people, seller's, great product's.
gorilla
p.s. sorry whitelitnin, this is my 3rd thread i tried to give you points for. it will not allow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
the first and best mod i did to the ride.......and ive done quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i belive you have enough to enlighten you. now buy it at never enough auto.
pay whatever it is. and install it. if you want more or better handling buy there front anti sway bar.
30% better in handling,from the oem. how do i know that exact # dave from hellwig.
for the doubter's.
i love mine. & wouldn't live with out it.
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tried to install my 7700 today... The thread on the links are so friggin tight I can't adjust them. Will Hellwig send me new ones? Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks,

<TUNDRA>

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Tried to install my 7700 today... The thread on the links are so friggin tight I can't adjust them. Will Hellwig send me new ones? Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks,

<TUNDRA>
I had the exact same problem with mine. I figured there was just a little powdercoat in them so I tried to tighten them anyway. BAD IDEA. They were siezed up bad. So, after throwing some things across my garage, and about 15 beers, I called hellwig the next day.

They sent me a new set of links that week which I was impressed with. To my surprise, this set had the same issue. I looked into the female end and saw what looked like welding slag in the begining of the threads. I was able to chip it off with a small punch. Also, one of the male ends had the same thing which I ground off with a dremel.

After that, they worked fine. The handling improvement was pretty dramatic. I just adjusted mine to the stiffest setting last weekend and its even better. I had posted about the link problem in another thread and there were some others with this issue. I think hellwig had some issues with this. Even when I called there was no questioning and they didnt seem surprised when I told them the problem. The whole kit is very high quality, it just seems like they have a bug to work out. i kind of figured theywould have by now though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the reply tundra05. I will give them a call on Monday.
On another note, I mounted the bar on the rear axle as shown in the
DIY (with the arms in the air if it was on the ground)
and I only had about 1/4 inch clearance to the E brake cable.
Does that sound right? If I ever catch air I am afraid the bar will engage the
brake. Maybe you check yours to see how much clearance you have? Maybe
even post a picture to help? Thanks a bunch!!!

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
91 Posts
We just purchased a pulsed mig welder for welding these end links. This should reduce the spatter considerably. It doesn't take much of a defect to lock up the threads. We will keep monitoring the end link issue to make sure the problem is resolved. THere should be 3 inches of clearance to the E-brake cable if mounted properly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts