Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need some help here. I know this is my first post, so please forgive me - I do like the truck, and other than the huge number of both warranty and non-warranty repairs we've been subjected to, it still drives nice most of the time, and you just can't beat the beefy looks...

And I'm definitely not a troll (I can produce work orders for everything I'm about to mention) but I need your help...

We got our Tundra - 2007 SR5 5.7L V8, 4WD, 6 speed auto - back on December 11th, 2007. Drove beautifully... Babied, very well loved. Occasionally got a little muddy, but never abused. Beautiful truck.

April 2008 - go to leave for work, check engine light on. Truck won't shift above 2nd, won't go in reverse. Limped it to the dealership...

OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIR - $12,000 later, we get our truck back in working order. And they didn't even give us a loaner for the trouble, we had to rent a Chevy Cobolt (which, when compared to a Tundra, is a lunchbox with wheels...) Not happy, but at least it was fixed.

In the 2 years since then :

- Rear differential went, due to incorrect driveshaft being installed at the factory (they installed the V6 instead of the V8, and magically didn't notice when they replaced the trans & torque converter) - warranty repair.

- Thermostat went (I still don't believe it was the thermo, but who am I to say...) - warranty repair.

- Gas pedal started sticking - warranty repair.

- Now last night it has gone into Limp Mode AGAIN - stuck in 4Low, VSC off, check engine light on. Same thing it did when the thermo (apparently) went 2 months ago. Waiting to take it into the dealer on Monday morning when they open, since of course this happened at 11PM on a Saturday night and we had to limp it home.

- Since they replaced the thermo, the truck has also been running a little hot (temp gauge sitting at about 3/4 instead of half) and turning on the heat blows A/C 4 out of 5 times. We were going to take the truck in next Saturday about that - guess we don't have to wait now.

I bring up all of these things to show just how much we've gone through, and how loyal and patient we've been so far. Sure, we didn't let them put that "I trust my Toyota" sticker on our truck - because we don't trust OURS. But we trust the vehicles, and have kept going and kept driving it long after most people would have rolled the thing down a hill, on fire.

Here's my issue... Even after ALL of that going wrong with the truck, and publically acknowledging the trans issue in the US, Toyota Canada still refuses to change their warranty ruling in our case and give us our money back.

So I need your help...

If you've had an '07 Tundra with a trans FAILURE (not just the rumble strip, but won't shift, stripped teeth, needed a new tranny FAILURE) then can you post here?

I need to know the name of the dealership you got the truck repaired at, the date of the repair, and the basics of your truck (I'm assuming most are 5.7L V8 6SPD-Auto's, like ours, but need to make sure...)

This is so I can give that information to Toyota in dealing with the warranty dispute, so they can contact the dealerships for evidence that this problem HAS happened before.

It will also help ME contact the dealerships for evidence, if I end up taking this to Arbitration - because at $12K, this doesn't even qualify for small claims court.

I would like to repeat, we still love the truck. It's a lease, and we're still planning on buying it out at the end of the lease and keeping it. And like I said before, I can produce work-orders for everything above if somebody needs proof, not just being a troll - we geniunely need some Toyota Fan help here! :)

It isn't right that everyone else had their transmission covered, and we got $12K squeezed out of our wallets (that we're STILL paying for...) so any and all help is appreciated! Please PM me here, or email me at crlester AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks!

- Cheryl W.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wow, I haven't heard of any transmissions going completely bad before. How was the transmission an out of warranty repair if you had things replaced under warranty since then?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
What's 12 grand worth? TRDSparks has the transmission listed at MRSP at like 3300 and their sale price around 2600.

Sorry to hear you're having such issues. Seems like a bad apple from the factory.

-rockstate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RONE - That's what we're trying to figure out (re: why it was out of warranty...) they said something about the tranny fluid samples showing misuse or something, which I think is a total load of you-know-what - hence trying to find other dealerships that have dealt with the issue, so we can show Toyota that it isn't an isolated incident caused by our use of the vehicle.

rockstate - I guess that is just the price difference between the US & Canada... I don't have the workorder in front of me, so I don't know what they charged us for the tranny, but I do know that at least $200 of the repair was just for diagnostic, and their billing rate for shop time is outrageous...

I'm sure this is just a bad apple from the factory, I haven't heard of any other Tundra's with this many issues. I just wish they'd stand behind their product to keep us loyal customers, instead of making us take such a huge hit just to keep the thing on the road.

Thanks for all the support guys!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
how many miles on the truck when the tranny went twelve grand belly up? doesnt make sense. it was one year old. its a sealed transmision. even then, even if it met the severe duty schedule i doubt you had anywhere near the miles on it, since it was under warranty after that time apparently. somethign doesnt add up, you need to put all the facts here for us to know whats going on. so far it sounds like a bunch of crap honestly. no one forks over 12grand for a transmission repair thats under factory or powertrain warranty unless they know for a fact whats wrong with it to void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Okay, I need some help here. I know this is my first post, so please forgive me - I do like the truck, and other than the huge number of both warranty and non-warranty repairs we've been subjected to, it still drives nice most of the time, and you just can't beat the beefy looks...

And I'm definitely not a troll (I can produce work orders for everything I'm about to mention) but I need your help...

We got our Tundra - 2007 SR5 5.7L V8, 4WD, 6 speed auto - back on December 11th, 2007. Drove beautifully... Babied, very well loved. Occasionally got a little muddy, but never abused. Beautiful truck.

April 2008 - go to leave for work, check engine light on. Truck won't shift above 2nd, won't go in reverse. Limped it to the dealership...

OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIR - $12,000 later, we get our truck back in working order. And they didn't even give us a loaner for the trouble, we had to rent a Chevy Cobolt (which, when compared to a Tundra, is a lunchbox with wheels...) Not happy, but at least it was fixed.

In the 2 years since then :

- Rear differential went, due to incorrect driveshaft being installed at the factory (they installed the V6 instead of the V8, and magically didn't notice when they replaced the trans & torque converter) - warranty repair.

- Thermostat went (I still don't believe it was the thermo, but who am I to say...) - warranty repair.

- Gas pedal started sticking - warranty repair.

- Now last night it has gone into Limp Mode AGAIN - stuck in 4Low, VSC off, check engine light on. Same thing it did when the thermo (apparently) went 2 months ago. Waiting to take it into the dealer on Monday morning when they open, since of course this happened at 11PM on a Saturday night and we had to limp it home.

- Since they replaced the thermo, the truck has also been running a little hot (temp gauge sitting at about 3/4 instead of half) and turning on the heat blows A/C 4 out of 5 times. We were going to take the truck in next Saturday about that - guess we don't have to wait now.

I bring up all of these things to show just how much we've gone through, and how loyal and patient we've been so far. Sure, we didn't let them put that "I trust my Toyota" sticker on our truck - because we don't trust OURS. But we trust the vehicles, and have kept going and kept driving it long after most people would have rolled the thing down a hill, on fire.

Here's my issue... Even after ALL of that going wrong with the truck, and publically acknowledging the trans issue in the US, Toyota Canada still refuses to change their warranty ruling in our case and give us our money back.

So I need your help...

If you've had an '07 Tundra with a trans FAILURE (not just the rumble strip, but won't shift, stripped teeth, needed a new tranny FAILURE) then can you post here?

I need to know the name of the dealership you got the truck repaired at, the date of the repair, and the basics of your truck (I'm assuming most are 5.7L V8 6SPD-Auto's, like ours, but need to make sure...)

This is so I can give that information to Toyota in dealing with the warranty dispute, so they can contact the dealerships for evidence that this problem HAS happened before.

It will also help ME contact the dealerships for evidence, if I end up taking this to Arbitration - because at $12K, this doesn't even qualify for small claims court.

I would like to repeat, we still love the truck. It's a lease, and we're still planning on buying it out at the end of the lease and keeping it. And like I said before, I can produce work-orders for everything above if somebody needs proof, not just being a troll - we geniunely need some Toyota Fan help here! :)

It isn't right that everyone else had their transmission covered, and we got $12K squeezed out of our wallets (that we're STILL paying for...) so any and all help is appreciated! Please PM me here, or email me at crlester AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks!

- Cheryl W.

I was one of the first transmission failures and that is how I found this site. My transmission went out at about 500 miles (2007 Tundra 5.7) in summer of 2007.

The dealer on that vehicle, Atlanta Toyota, treated me very well. Gave me a Camry loaner, quickly put a new transmission in and Toyota Corp. gave me a 7 year Platinum Warranty.

PM me if you need more details.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Is that $12,000 supposed to be $1200?
one would hope so till you read the last part where he claims the 12k was squeezed out of his wallet and he's STILL PAYING for it... so i'd hope he's not still paying on 1200 repair over two years later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, it was almost $12,000. Unfortunately my hubby (the actual owner of the vehicle) doesn't know much about cars, so when he was told that Toyota wouldn't cover it under warranty (even though he'd only had it for 6 months), he just said "ok" - pulled the cash out of his retirement plan (RRSP) and we're still paying the taxes owed on it, since the government taxes RRSPs when you withdraw from them up here in Canada. He needed the vehicle to get to work, and is (sorry hun) kind of a doormat when it comes to this stuff...

If I'd been involved in the original dealings, trust me, it wouldn't have been out of pocket... I would have fought it a lot harder to begin with.

Found the work order, mileage according to the invoice says 6100KM - so about 3800 miles, give or take a few.

Those are all the facts. Toyota has never given us a real reason why it wasn't a warranty repair, other than a note on the service invoice saying "transmission fluid badly burnt. bottom of pan has friction material and fine metal. vehicle will require a new transmission assembly." - That's it.

Which is part of what burns me up, since they never gave us a real reason WHY...

Oh, and since I did find the work order, here is the cost breakdown for the tranny...

$1365.00 for shop hours
$6053.40 for transmission
$83.28 for the gaskets (exhaust)
$47.27 for "gasket" (doesn't say which one...)
$3.68 for "gasket - air tube."
$532.90 for torque converter (yep, they charged us separately for that...)
$84.00 for "ATF, WS"
$17.94 for 6 nuts (not even kidding, almost $20 worth of NUTS)

Then $35 in shop supplies, $136.50 for additional labor related to the brakes?? $421.80 for parts for the brakes (which weren't even an issue...) another $8.87 in shop supplies, plus about $1000 worth of car rentals (since it was in for TWO WHOLE WEEKS...) that they never covered, and 12% taxes on top of the whole bit.

Yeah, hubby got hosed pretty bad on the whole deal. Not knowing much about vehicles, it seems like he almost had "rube" written on his forehead and they took complete advantage.

There were issues with the service manager at the time, who apparently (and this is just hearsay, but we did hear it from someone at the dealership) was double billing customers & warranty, and overbilling, and pocketing the difference. They're currently investigating him, and he's not allowed to touch invoices or accounts receivable anymore. And his name is on this invoice...

But I can assure you, I'm not leaving details out - this is really what happened. You can even look it up if you want, Valley Toyota in Chilliwack, BC Canada - invoice #TOCS53838

It doesn't add up to me, either - hence the appeal, and needing info on others with the same issue so that we can show Toyota that it isn't the "isolated incident" they claim it is. To this very day, they say we're the only ones who've ever had that issue in North America.

My best guess on the burnt tranny fluid? Having to drive it over 30KM to the closest dealership while stuck in 2nd gear after the thing blew in the first place. But I could be wrong, who knows...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well, if you did drive it a long distance stuck in one gear, i can see how they can try to blame you for it. it might have gone into limp in mode for an entirely unrelated issue and the transmission just was told by the ECM to stay in 2nd....could have been sensors, coil packs a number of things that caused the limp mode. but if you drove it excessivly in that mode, then you might very well have damaged the transmission. thats what tow trucks are for, and those certainly are covered by warranty in a failure such as that to prevent further damage. now that said, and you agree, there should have been alot more bitcchin and moaning about it then..doing it now its gonna be had to fight but dont give up. i guess 12k canadian is little less than 12k US bucks but still its a rip off. they saw him coming. does his backside hurt? you need to get a much better explainantion as to why it was denied via warranty. just saying fluid burnt, etc doesnt get tehm out of a mechanical failure on toyotas part. at less than 4k miles it certainly shouldnt have been anything you did to it. it would be hard to abuse one hard enough in that length of time and unless you know you are beating the heck out of it and purposelfully doing it. i'd be pissed too....good luck.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
how many miles on the truck when the tranny went twelve grand belly up? doesnt make sense. it was one year old. its a sealed transmision. even then, even if it met the severe duty schedule i doubt you had anywhere near the miles on it, since it was under warranty after that time apparently. somethign doesnt add up, you need to put all the facts here for us to know whats going on. so far it sounds like a bunch of crap honestly. no one forks over 12grand for a transmission repair thats under factory or powertrain warranty unless they know for a fact whats wrong with it to void the warranty.
Agree 100%.....at the very least we are not getting the whole story. Far from it.

(Points sent for keeping it real!)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
3800 miles
Have you contacted Toyota corporate? That's unbelievable that a sealed, maintenance free transmission would fail that soon - and then be blamed on the owners. There isn't even a dipstick to check the tranny fluid level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately we live out in the boonies - and there was no cell reception where we were, when we left for work (we were camping at the time) so a tow truck was no-go. Add to that fact that hubby never keeps the warranty booklet IN his truck (I make him carry the roadside card in his wallet EVERYWHERE now) and we never had a chance of getting a tow. But I do agree, a tow truck probably would have made a difference if one had been accessible.

And to those that don't believe me - that's fine. I'm not asking you to. I'm just hoping to get info on other Tundra owners who have had transmission failures, so that I can take it to Toyota Canada to try and prove we're not the only ones. But thanks for voicing your opinions, I'm not going to rant at you or something. I understand that I'm on your territory and saying a lot of things about Toyota that could be construed as negative.

Big thank you to SOS for providing some info - I did send you an email before I posted this, since I saw your other post... Do you have a date (or even a month is fine) that the repair happened? That way I can pass that along to Toyota Canada and it'll be easier for them to pull any records if they need to. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and Barney - thanks for the support and understanding!

It wasn't in Limp mode, it has been twice since then, and it presents completely differently... In Limp mode, it will still shift, still go in reverse, etc. as it demonstrated last night - but with this one, when we tried to back up when we pulled over after noticing the engine lights, I had to get out and push it while it was in neutral - it wouldn't go into reverse. I'm pretty sure it was the tranny from the start.

I just wish he'd let me deal with this to begin with, it is definitely a lot harder to get them to change their decision after the fact. What can I say though, we were only dating, that was his man truck and I'm just a girl. LOL

But with all of the issues we've had as of late, I just don't want to let that original repair go and accept it. It just seems wrong to take that, on top of all of the other issues - which I will say, have all been fixed under warranty very quickly, with great service!

They did try to get out of the differential, too, but that time I WAS THERE. They said something about the after market tires (installed after the original tranny failure, not before) and claiming we had a lift kit improperly installed. Nice try though - there was no lift, it was a leveling kit professionally installed by the company THEY recommended for the tires. Once I told them that, the diff was quickly put through as a warranty claim with no complaints.

I just keep thinking, if only I had been there in the first place... LOL

Re: Toyota Corporate, I have been dealing with the manager at our local dealership, and he had been talking with corporate on our behalf - but they refused to overturn the ruling. So this time, I'm going to go to them personally, hopefully with enough information to present a good case. If they still refuse, we have third party arbitration services provided by the government here in Canada, which I'll be taking it to. That is likely our last chance.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I believe that it was June, 2007 ... all dealer contact info. sent.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Like the others have said, this doesn't make sense. You must have an awful shady dealer. Warranty repair costs don't come out of the dealer's pocket. They also appear to have made a huge profit on a $12,000 dollar tranny fix. They should be in your corner getting this fixed under warranty. You definately need to persue this more agressively with corporate. I once had a Mitsubishi Eclipse that threw a timing belt at 40k miles, 4k miles past warranty. The dealer saw to it that the $1500 repair was covered as a warranty issue because the recommended replacement interval was every 60k miles. This is the kind of dealer that gets repeat customers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It isn't the dealer, the people we're dealing with now are GREAT! Especially Kevin, the guy who tried to advocate with corporate on our behalf. He even saw to it that we got one of their SHUTTLES - not a courtesy car, a customer shuttle - as a courtesy vehicle so hubby could get to work with the thermo repair. Great people, really.

It was the ex service manager, whom I've spoke with before and he seems completely unconcerned with customer satisfaction... Actually he was a complete jack-you-know-what. Tried to treat me like a rube, too, until I corrected HIM on something he said. Now he won't deal with me. LOL

I agree it makes no sense though... Can't argue with you there.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
So sorry for your troubles and I'm not trying to add to them but you may seriously want to consider getting a lawyer. Just a thought since I have worked for a couple of dealers before and some are not so "honest". I'm not saying this dealer did something wrong, "I wasn't there", but many take advantage of people if they can. My sister just a couple of weeks ago was charged over a 1,000 dollars by the dealer near here house to change a serpentine belt, that's what the dealer was telling her. After careful review and conversation with her, we knew something was funny with this cost. Long story short, the dealer was lying to her and was really trying to hose her for work they didn't perform and the amount she should have paid for their time and parts was only about 600 dollars worth which is what she ended up paying for, yes they did more than a belt change but my sister is totally mechanically illiterate and I don't say that in a bad way but some dealers/service writers can tell when someone comes in without a "clue" and it's like vultures over dead meat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tsolomon - I agree, I think hubby was taken advantage of... It was him and his dad that dealt with him, and his dad has never been hosed by a dealer but is the type who ALWAYS takes his vehicle to the dealership even for regular service. I think they saw dollar signs when the two of them walked in there... Especially when hubby's dad paid for the initial assessment on his credit card (a Gold Card, no less...) - The first invoice seemed a bit unreasonable, but not crazy. The second one (the one for the actual repairs) seems insane...

We're trying to deal with corporate first, and then we'll decide whether to go with a lawyer or go the arbitration route. Some of the things on the invoice just don't make sense... Like the $6k for the tranny, for example. Seems crazy to me.

And $1000 for a serp replacement? Good thing you were there! That's crazy, you can get most belts for under $100 at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would get a Lawyer. There is now way that should have not been covered under warranty. I would get my 12k back. Ok you are not saying you were treated bad. Of coarse not they robed you. Oh yeah.. they will get you a shuttle while they are overcharging you on something that should have been paid for by the warranty. They took complete advantage of you. We all make mistakes we just need to learn from them. They really saw your lack of knowledge and took complete advantage.

Have you called other dealerships and compared quotes?

You really need to get a attorney, just because he already paid doesn't mean anything. You had to pay so you would have working auto. Now you can get your self a attorney or some other help. I would never do business with them again. When your lease is up you really don't want to keep a lemon. I know it sucks but you can find a 08 at a decent price and still get a extended warranty or something. There is no telling what them idiots did to you vehicle.

it google and start doing your research on lemon laws and whatever else you can think of. This will work out in the end as long as you don't give up and tank there bul$$it. Keep going until you get the your money back.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts