Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I really need some helpful input on my 05 double cab tundra 4x4. My truck only has 42k miles and my 4x4 wont work. I would press the 4-hi button and after that the light on my gauge cluster starts flashing. From what i read there is 2 actuators, one on the transfer case and one on the front diff. How do i troubleshoot the actuators to see if they are working? When i press the 4-hi button i hear the transfer-case actuator turn on but the light still flashes. Another thing thats not working at all is my 4-low button. When i press on the button no lights or anything would turn on. Please HELP!!

thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
our trucks has on switch on the transfer and an actuator on the front diff. remove the switch and check the resistance. resistance should move gradually as you put pressure on the switch. if it's erratic, it's a bad sensor. thats how i tested my in laws 4 runner.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/04-06-Tu...m/06toypdf/06rmsrc/06tundra/sa/acsy1/loca.pdf

i use my 4wd all the time. if you don't use em, they seem to fail.

·
Registered
567 Posts
kind of a simple question but when you press the 4 hi button are you stopped and in park or driving down the road. Sometimes with mine it will flash until i start to move then it will come solid and the 4wd will be engaged.

Then with the 4 lo I don't want to sound like a jacka** but are you stopped and have the truck in neutrel then sometimes you have to put the truck in revese. Just want to cover the basics before you start tearing into things.

Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kind of a simple question but when you press the 4 hi button are you stopped and in park or driving down the road. Sometimes with mine it will flash until i start to move then it will come solid and the 4wd will be engaged.

Then with the 4 lo I don't want to sound like a jacka** but are you stopped and have the truck in neutrel then sometimes you have to put the truck in revese. Just want to cover the basics before you start tearing into things.

Andrew
Yes I tried those steps that you mentioned.....I'm thinking that there is something faulty in the a.d.d. system, and I will look into it this weekend. Thanks for the input tho!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes I tried those steps that you mentioned.....I'm thinking that there is something faulty in the a.d.d. system, and I will look into it this weekend. Thanks for the input tho!

Have you changed the diff and transfer case fluid? I would inspect the fluid for shiny flaked metal :sad3d: But hopefully its something else that's less costly

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
Pull out the 4WD fuse while the truck is OFF. Then replace the fuse, crank it up, and try the 4HI button again. Happens on mine from time to time if I haven't used it in a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pull out the 4WD fuse while the truck is OFF. Then replace the fuse, crank it up, and try the 4HI button again. Happens on mine from time to time if I haven't used it in a while.
Tried it and the 4x4 light just kept on flashing...but I'm gonna work on troubleshooting the truck this weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tried it and the 4x4 light just kept on flashing...but I'm gonna work on troubleshooting the truck this weekend.
Thanks
Mine started doing that right after I changed the transfer case fluid. Just flashed the light, whether I tried engaging 4hi while driving or standing still.

The fluid I had put in was 5+ year old Royal Purple Max-Diff 75W-90.

I changed the fluid again, using fresh Mobil-1 75w-90, and it immediately resumed working properly.

Could have been the RP fluid sitting on the shelf all those years, I suppose. My Chevy loved that stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok today i went to take a look under the truck and found that the breather hose and the actuator hose for the front diff was plugged. just letting you guys know that i bought this truck second hand and it has a 5inch lift on it. i think this might be the possible cause but if its not then im gonna have to test the electrical parts. Just wondering can i T off the diff acuator hose to any vacuum line???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i found that there is noooo power going to the front actuator.....WTH is going on???? and if i directly jump the terminals from the diff to the battery positive it triggers the actuator and it works...weird HELP!!!

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
well you have verified there is power on both sides of the fuse, checked the fuse for continuity. you will have to track it down at every connector and or switch to verify where it is broke. lengthy process. but cheaper than paying someone to track it down at a high hourly rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts