Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is a 6000 pound truck so what gives?

Dude blew me off in low, mid and top range of the power band. Going away and not even close, except at the start.

Ok Darryl, I bought your damn truck and now I have egg on my face.

Ford Vehicles: Super Duty - Specifications

Then I read the specs:

TWIN TURBOCHARGERS
650 FT PDS TORQUE
350 HORSES
AND THIS IS GOVERNED AT 2000 RPM !

In other words the dude put on a mod chip and unleashed the beast.

Ok so what can I do to wipe that smirk off of his face?

Already have the TRD duals...

I figure I need >=30 more horses to keep even, >=50 horses to barely lead and >80 + to let him know who's boss.

Headers, supercharger, mod chip? gimmie a to do list...prices and supplier names are welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
jba headers, unichip, and supercharger. URD sells the 4.7 supercharger and theres also a guy on here that has a kit, rwelch i believe.

·
Registered
831 Posts
NITROUS---by any reputable company but I prefer Cold Fusion Nitrous
I hate nitrous, if I want more power, I don't want to have it run out when the bottle is empty. For me, the power better be there whenever I want it. Just put twin GT28RS turbos on it, that's good for about 700hp.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I hate nitrous, if I want more power, I don't want to have it run out when the bottle is empty. For me, the power better be there whenever I want it. Just put twin GT28RS turbos on it, that's good for about 700hp.
yeah i think nitrous is for someone with a weak setup who has to use it to gain an advantage. I view it as something like steroids for an athlete.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i like to race as much as anyone else but we have a 06 tundra and the only thing that will give us a good chance is the 4grand supercharger and the fords with the powerstroke can just plug in a banks power system and make it look like we wasted our money:cry: yes they are big and heavy but being a turbo charged diesel... i think they have the advantage:td: but on the good side if they plug in those upgrade computers their warranty voids:devil: so i've heard

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
i like to race as much as anyone else but we have a 06 tundra and the only thing that will give us a good chance is the 4grand supercharger and the fords with the powerstroke can just plug in a banks power system and make it look like we wasted our money:cry: yes they are big and heavy but being a turbo charged diesel... i think they have the advantage:td: but on the good side if they plug in those upgrade computers their warranty voids:devil: so i've heard
no they dont my buddy has the bully dog in his duramax and he just sets it back to stock and unplugs it if he has to take it to the stealership. however he didnt once and they never said a word.

·
Registered
346 Posts
if they were suspicious they can plug into the computer and see a fuel rate change.my service adviser at my dealership told me about this when we talked about his f-250

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
if they were suspicious they can plug into the computer and see a fuel rate change.my service adviser at my dealership told me about this when we talked about his f-250
you are right, but thats for certain chips. some of them dont void your warranty but some do. Superchips i believe voids it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Are you sure it was a 6.4 liter 2008 Ford?

It was likely a 6.0 with 325 hp and 560 lbs. My father has a 2003 extended cab short bed 4X4 and it runs a 16.2 in the quarter mile bone stock....trust me :cool:

So yeah it should beat a Double cab even with an exhaust.

Oh and the rev limiter is at 3500. It shifts from 1 to 2 at 3300 then at 3500 for the other gears. Beyond 3500 it bogs. Trust me :D :devil:

·
Registered
39 Posts
You'll just have to pick your battles wisely. Was the truck modded? Living in Houston, I can tell you that you better watch out with those. If you ever go to Baytown Raceway, you'll see what I mean. There's quite a few that are beyond stock and you wouldn't know it by looks alone (except for the exhaust pipe).

·
Registered
961 Posts
Now this is a 6000 pound truck so what gives?

Dude blew me off in low, mid and top range of the power band. Going away and not even close, except at the start.

Ok Darryl, I bought your damn truck and now I have egg on my face.

Ford Vehicles: Super Duty - Specifications

Then I read the specs:

TWIN TURBOCHARGERS
650 FT PDS TORQUE
350 HORSES
AND THIS IS GOVERNED AT 2000 RPM !

In other words the dude put on a mod chip and unleashed the beast.

Ok so what can I do to wipe that smirk off of his face?

Already have the TRD duals...

I figure I need >=30 more horses to keep even, >=50 horses to barely lead and >80 + to let him know who's boss.

Headers, supercharger, mod chip? gimmie a to do list...prices and supplier names are welcome
Ditch the 06 for a 07!!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
if the powerstroke is using an edge module or any type of module it wont void the warranty. i believe the edge and bully dog dont leave footprints in the comp where the other take the factory program out and put theres in

·
Registered
961 Posts
if the powerstroke is using an edge module or any type of module it wont void the warranty. i believe the edge and bully dog dont leave footprints in the comp where the other take the factory program out and put theres in
A good diesel Tech will find a trace of a fuel box, usually by scanner the logs of rail pressure. Now some boxes only mess with timing and duration of the injectors, and not the pressure. Those are usally untraceable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have called Toyota parts and they don't sell headers anymore for the '06. Must be a tune issue.

I don't know if the JBA's are tuned for the 4.7 or not. I do know that the TRD duals are tuned prefectly and I'd hate to mess that up.

Ported and polished manifolds and headers would be a good start.

Do the mod chips work?

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I have called Toyota parts and they don't sell headers anymore for the '06. Must be a tune issue.

I don't know if the JBA's are tuned for the 4.7 or not. I do know that the TRD duals are tuned prefectly and I'd hate to mess that up.

Ported and polished manifolds and headers would be a good start.

Do the mod chips work?

Thanks in advance...
Talk to Unichip...they sure work for an 00. Verndog still has the dyno graphs on his website BTW. Dunno if they have a harness and map for an 06, but it's worth asking. BTW you'll need to build up the rotating assembly if you want much more boost than the stock supercharger. Check out the Lextreme website and forums.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Just wait till Toyota builds a 3/4 ton or bigger diesel. Your comparing apples with oranges as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Back in the day when I still had my Z-28, buddy and I were "testing our speed", and we took off from a light. Next to us was a powestroke ford and surprisingly he stayed right next to us up to about 100 mph. Our cars ran in the low 12s then, so this guy was flying. You never know what you get in those diesels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts