Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday at sunset I was out on the mesa here near town on a fairly rough road. heard a pop/banging noise when rolling over a larger bump/root, then tire rubbing from the front right. Looks like front right tire now has about 1.5" clearance from well and rubs when going over bumps. Luckily when the noise happened I was at the end of the worst section of road, drove home at 15 mph max. No other noises on the road home other than the rubbing... what do you guys think that the problem is? Blown shock? or could this be a whole lot worse?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Spring broke and sagged? Spring holds the truck up not the shock. Did you look at i yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have not had a chance to take a look as it happened late dusk/dark and didnt have a flashlight on me. truck is parked at the end of the driveway, roughly 1.8 miles down a washboard that avg about 6% grade till the last 1/4 mile. ill be able to take a look late this am, what should i look for besides a broken spring? any other tell tale damage that im in for a really costly repair?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The strut itself sounds like it's broken. I've seen a few on this forum where the bottom of the strut will break with enough abuse and the result is just what you've explained. Look at where the bottom of the strut attaches to the lower control arm and i'm sure you'll find the problem. If that looks good, move up the strut till you do find the problem. I'm sure the issue should be relatively clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So i went and took a look and what I take to be the strut(?) sheared off itself where it attaches to control arm. This in turn caused the control arm to bend(?), but at least i could drive out. Opinions?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
OK. The shock catastrophically failed on you. Not a huge deal in and of itself. What I'm not seeing is any ancillary damage, i.e. a bent control arm as you stated earlier. Those control arms are very strong components. What makes you think it is "bent"??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just seems to be bent when looking at it compared to the other one. Dont know if it actually is, just appears to be to my uneducated eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the truck into the shop, mechanic agrees that control arm is not bent. 84.00$$ per strut (Gabriel ultra) @ autozone, charging me 174.00 in labor. I'd liked to have gone Bilsteen, but I need the truck ASAP and special ordering things here always takes a little longer. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts