Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the rotors on my 2003 Tundra (V8 SR5). I'm not sure when I first noticed symptoms of warping, but it got bad enough on my last road trip that I can't put it off anymore. The truck has 146K miles on it.

I'd appreciate any tips you may have on choosing rotors and the actual procedure. I have a trusty mechanic that will do it for about $350, telling me the stock rotors are about $118 each. I found Centric Power Slot Brake Rotors that are cryo treated for about $1 more.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I need to replace the rotors on my 2003 Tundra (V8 SR5). I'm not sure when I first noticed symptoms of warping, but it got bad enough on my last road trip that I can't put it off anymore. The truck has 146K miles on it.

I'd appreciate any tips you may have on choosing rotors and the actual procedure. I have a trusty mechanic that will do it for about $350, telling me the stock rotors are about $118 each. I found Centric Power Slot Brake Rotors that are cryo treated for about $1 more.
With what ever choice of rotors you make do yourself right by "Bedding" the new rotors properly.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This can be a very opinionated subject. In my retrospective opinion, OEM are probably as good as you can get without resorting to an upgrade of the entire assembly, such as larger than stock calipers, and compatibly engineered rotors and pads. I got over 80K out of my 2002 originals and replaced the rotors and pads with EBC drilled and slotted rotors and green stuff pads, without upgrading the calipers, bedded them according to instructions, and thought I had got a pig for my trouble. Over time, though, they have gotten much better, to where they are as good as the OEM brakes were. They were definitely less expensive than buying OEM parts from Toyota, but looking back, a caliper upgrade (search this forum for info) and new OEM or resurfaced stock rotors and OEM pads would have been as good a solution.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you got nearly 150,000 miles out of the stock rotors, I think that may answer your question - stick with stock. Another thing to remember, a number of people have had warping issues when the wheel lugs were over tightened.

Whatever rotors and pads you get, torque the lugs to the proper specs, follow the procedure for bedding the bake pads, and be sure and clean and lubricate the slides and pins on the calipers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Rrumbler and asc08. I had intended to clean and lube the slides and pins and was surprised the guy in the video I linked to didn't mention that.

I don't think I've ever torqued a lug nut in my entire life, nor have I ever seen anyone do it. Not that I'm picking on those that do. I appreciate the advice. I was more torn over whether or not I really needed to torque the caliper bolts than the lug nuts. I'll have to think about this and decide if I want to buy a torque wrench. It's something I'd need to use far less than every blue moon.

There were so many choices it was mind-boggling. I ended up buying the POWER STOP K232436 (K2324-36) kit from Rock Auto. I have to believe it's better than stock. And it certainly was cheaper.

One "board" question for folks here-- why don't I get email notifications when a thread I create is updated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There were so many choices it was mind-boggling. I ended up buying the POWER STOP K232436 (K2324-36) kit from Rock Auto. I have to believe it's better than stock. And it certainly was cheaper.
i know it's only been a couple weeks but how's the POWER STOP kit working out? I was thinking of the same upgrade for my 2000 Tundra with 170K
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
266 Posts
i know it's only been a couple weeks but how's the POWER STOP kit working out? I was thinking of the same upgrade for my 2000 Tundra with 170K
Thanks in advance!
About to order the same thing this evening for my 2001. Can't be much worse than the normal reman stuff we get.....and it isn't like the Toyota OEM stuff was all that wonderful either. I was getting maybe 30K out of a set of rotors.....with 208K miles on my truck I've been down this road a few times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks in advance!
Wow, my first-ever thread update notification. :D

Well, I'm embarrassed to tell you that the unopened box still sits in my foyer. I recently started a new job with a commute and have little spare time. I made an appointment just this morning for my trusty local mechanic to do the labor this coming Friday. I'll follow the recommended bedding procedure (I doubt brake shops/mechanics do this) and give my impressions of how they feel a few weeks later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, my first-ever thread update notification. :D

Well, I'm embarrassed to tell you that the unopened box still sits in my foyer. I recently started a new job with a commute and have little spare time. I made an appointment just this morning for my trusty local mechanic to do the labor this coming Friday. I'll follow the recommended bedding procedure (I doubt brake shops/mechanics do this) and give my impressions of how they feel a few weeks later.
how's the Power Stops working out or are they still sitting by your front door? :beavbutt:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how's the Power Stops working out or are they still sitting by your front door? :beavbutt:
Ha ha, no. I had them done that Friday and took an 1100-mile round trip from MD to MA. I did follow the bedding procedure on Power Stop's website before the trip.

I can't honestly say that they feel much different to me than the original, but I don't drive/brake barefoot. Of course the shaking of the front end is gone. I'm pleased overall.

And I'm glad I ended up taking it to my dealer; I needed new calipers too and got new ones the same day (as opposed to my truck sitting with the front-end up on blocks in my driveway for days.

Thanks, everyone for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts