Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wanted to do a drain and fill on my 2004, so I let the pan drain out (through the drain port, I did not remove the pan), and collected about 5 quarts of fluid (measured in a container with gradiations). Everywhere I've read says to expect about 4 quarts. Does this mean my trans was overfilled to begin with? Should I put back in 4 or 5? My plan was to do exactly what came out, but that seems to be a lot more than expected.

Currently my car is in the garage with the fluid drained! So quick help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Isnt there a fill procedure where you open the overflow port and it drains out excess once it reaches a certain temperature? Probably a lot easier to drain off the excess and know your volume is right rather than not having enough in there and running it low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the '04 it has a dipstick and no overfill port. I just put in a little over 4 quarts and it is just touching the bottom "tooth" of the HOT indicator on the dipstick after driving for 15 minutes or so and checking. I may put another splash in there but it seems my trans was overfilled by maybe half or more of a quart.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
You are on the right track. With the vehicle nice and warmed up you can check the fluid level in your transmission with the dipstick.
It pays to double check the work of your mechanic or yourself whenever pulling maintenance of any sort.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds about right. I just did the drain and fill x4, but also dropped the pan to change the transmission filter and got about 5 qts from that. I always refilled with what I took out. However, my 07 is sealed trans and once up to temp I used the overflow drain to let out about a 1/5 qt. No issues and she shifts great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody, I’m going to use the dipstick as the source of truth. I put a little bit more in, so in total I took out a little over 5 quarts, and put back in maybe 4 1/2 or so.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
My bad, I forgot 04 and earlier had dipstick.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 03 dropped 5 the first time i did the service. Dont think it was ever serviced with 234,000. But have done 4x dump/fill with 4.5 qts and its right at the full line, verified while hot.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
To the OP, just want to make sure you're aware that the transmission system holds much more fluid than that. When you do a quick drain and refill, you're only changing something like 1/4 or 1/3 of the total fluid. A lot of people, myself included, will do the quick drain and refill, drive the truck for maybe a couple thousand miles, do another quick drain and refill, repeat, then do it again, repeat, etc.
There's also a way to do it all at once, where an assistant is helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that’s my plan. Next oil change I’ll do it again. I was just expecting around 4 quarts, not 5+.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
393 Posts
When I checked the dipstick on my 2002 (before I did a drain and fill) it was WAY over the hot line when the engine was cold, so I just assumed whoever serviced the vehicle last just overfilled it.

When I did my drain, roughly 5L/qts came out. The dealer told me 2L/qts would be plenty (which the owner's manual also states), so that's all I put in.

When the engine is cold, its now reading at the top line of cold line.

Would'nt 4.5-5 quarts be overfilling it or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I saw that, too. I have no clue. Right now at about 4 quarts in, I’m at the bottom part of the hot line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've done this a couple times in my 04, usually takes 3-4 quarts to be at the upper end of the spectrum. Same goes for my Land Cruiser, which has a very similar transmission.

·
Premium Member
2002 Sequoia SR5 4WD
393 Posts
After researching various Sequoia/Tundra forums, consensus is that the owners manual is simply wrong about the amount of ATF needed. I was shocked when ~4.5 quarts came out, but I strictly followed the users manual and just added the 2 quarts that the dealer recommended.

My engine now occasionally dies at stop lights/low idle. From my research, I’ve leaned that insufficient ATF could cause that. I never had that engine issue until I did my drain/fill.

Full disclosure: I wasn’t aware I had to check my fluid while the engine was warm. When I saw it at the cold line when the engine was cold, I assumed all was well.

What a rookie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts