Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Which Tundra Type and Extras do you suggest...

• Double Cab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CrewMax

• 4x2

• 4x4

• TRD

• SR5

• Limited

• Tundra

• 4.7 V8

• 5.7 V8

• 2007 Model

• 2008 Model

• 2009 Model

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody..

I'm very new to this and have always wanted a pickup. I would like something thats capable of good offroad, as well as on so probably needs to be a 4x4, I like my gagets i.e Sat nav, rear camera, bluetooth etc etc but don't need them (I can parallel park big rigs so pickups are not a problem).
I have looked at and driven the F150, Dodge 1500 Hemi and the Tundra Crew max (I think it was a crew max). I have a Kawasaki ZX14, I surf, kiteboard, fish and intend to go hunting as well as a bunch of other things, which is why I would like a truck.
Anyway.. My questions are as follows....

1. Would you buy brand new or second hand?

2. I have a zx14 motorbike I want to stick in the back, will the short bed be able to accommodate a 7ft Bike with the tail gate down? or am I already looking at a double cab with a standard bed?

3. 4x2 or 4x4, I know what I want here but would like to hear peoples opinions on this.

4. What spec would you get for a good solid truck that maybe used to pull a boat once in a while... keeping costs down...

5. Crew or Double, are the seats in the back of the double comfortable? I like to ski so have to head off to the mountains and if I have some friends with me I want them to be comfortable... For possibly hours at a time and America is a big country I want to see it all.

6. Packages, I would like electric seats, is that only with the limited package? I also like my sat nav, bluetooth etc etc but again I don't necessarily need them. Whats everyone else using? do those that have had it before but not anymore miss it? My old BMW M3 had everything and was great so thinking it would be nice to have...

7. lifting it... I don't want something that just came out of a monster truck show but do want something that looks rough, should I get a simple lift kit or change out the suspension for more offroad ability?

8. 2007, 2008, 2009? recommendations? and how many miles should I be looking at before It needs to be avoided? I use to be a mechanic so can do some of the work myself...

9. Engine, Which of the V8's do you recommend? I'm thinking the 5.7 because it's better to have and not need than need and not have......

10. Do I get stock everything and use aftermarket stuff? to keep the cost down? or pay a little more?

11. Where is the best place to go and get a pickup? does Texas tend to be cheaper than anywhere else in the US? I have no problem in flying out to pick it up and then road trip back to the east coast....

Please excuse the bombardment of questions that may seem obvious but I'm one of those people that analyses and researches everything to death before buying.. To explain what I mean, I have been looking at buying a pickup or SUV for about 2 years but not been able to justify having one, now I can...

I think that covers everything, Thanks in advance for all your help! :ts:

·
Registered
889 Posts
See the answers in red..

1. Would you buy brand new or second hand? Depending on your budget... get good used truck to save some $$.

2. I have a zx14 motorbike I want to stick in the back, will the short bed be able to accommodate a 7ft Bike with the tail gate down? or am I already looking at a double cab with a standard bed? The CrewMax with the tailgate down... it will hold accommodate the 7ft bike.

3. 4x2 or 4x4, I know what I want here but would like to hear peoples opinions on this. Get 4x4 if you off-roading...

4. What spec would you get for a good solid truck that maybe used to pull a boat once in a while... keeping costs down... Get the 4x4 truck

5. Crew or Double, are the seats in the back of the double comfortable? I like to ski so have to head off to the mountains and if I have some friends with me I want them to be comfortable... For possibly hours at a time and America is a big country I want to see it all. Both are good... but Crewmax will give you a better and comfortable back seats than the double cab.

6. Packages, I would like electric seats, is that only with the limited package? I also like my sat nav, bluetooth etc etc but again I don't necessarily need them. Whats everyone else using? do those that have had it before but not anymore miss it? My old BMW M3 had everything and was great so thinking it would be nice to have... SR5 versions will have the driver's electric seats... at least my truck has. If you want the memory seats... than go with limited or platinum.

7. lifting it... I don't want something that just came out of a monster truck show but do want something that looks rough, should I get a simple lift kit or change out the suspension for more offroad ability? Maybe do the Bilsteins shocks to level the truck?

8. 2007, 2008, 2009? recommendations? and how many miles should I be looking at before It needs to be avoided? I use to be a mechanic so can do some of the work myself... I heard 2007 has more problems than later years... but my 2007 truck doesn't give me any bad problem yet...

9. Engine, Which of the V8's do you recommend? I'm thinking the 5.7 because it's better to have and not need than need and not have...... Definitely 5.7, you won't be disappointed.

10. Do I get stock everything and use aftermarket stuff? to keep the cost down? or pay a little more? Get stock everything and use aftermarket stuff.

11. Where is the best place to go and get a pickup? does Texas tend to be cheaper than anywhere else in the US? I have no problem in flying out to pick it up and then road trip back to the east coast.... Dunno

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Only you can answer these questions.
Asking people that don't know you won't be helpful.
Read the dozen of thread on this and it will help you decide.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I checked all the options,just to help ya out

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm new here. Just ordered my 2010 CrewMax 4x4 Grade Tundra with a few options (like SR5 and bluetooth) that I wanted from the dealer. After much searching, it appears that with the rebates and shopping tools available with new Tundras....you really don't save THAT much when buying used. I have bought used a lot and it is just nice to know that I will be the only one who has driven the truck and it hasn't been abused. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Opinions are like . . . well you know. I checked off my own preferences. Limited comes with the gadgets, all in one package. Used can save you a bunch, especially a 2 year old lease return. . . you'll likely find a 2009 soon, and all the rebates will depress the prices of the used trucks too. Sit in the back of a double cab before you write it off as "too small"; unless your friends are 7 feet tall they'll likely be very comfortable in the back seat of a DC and the space that the crewmax has is sacrificed from the bed. A 6.5' bed is much more servicable than a 5.5' one.
Oh, and 5.7 4X4 it goes without saying. . . :D good luck and have fun.
Now is a good time to buy a Toyota, new or used.
Toyota Stock, for that matter as well. (under $75.00)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
matrix77
Thanks for taking the time to give me a good response it's appreciated, I didn't know the 07 model has caused some problems I'll be keeping that in mind.

SE2000 you're quite I have read a few posts and continue to read more, but the object of this was to see what the general consensus is to better aid my decision... For example I've heard that the seats in the back of the double cab are uncomfortable because they're too upright..? is this the case as both the body types are neck and neck. Everyone prefers the 5.7 engine apart from Negra who likes everything...

Willi717 you mind if I ask how much you got off? PM me if you're happy to let me know. And thanks for the info on buying new, all my other vehicles have been second hand because I don't like the thought of losing that money as soon as I drive it away from the dealer. But you're advice puts a good spin on that knowing im the only one to use it...

Frankenstein haha yes they are, thanks for advice on the cab, I'm seriously struggling on that. I managed to get in and around a crew before I left for Iraq which was great but Im leaning towards the standard bed, lets face it the chances of me sitting in the back of my own truck is slim... I do like that the seats recline in the Crewmax though...

Thanks again for everyones input, it's a great help. I'm sure at some point you'll eventually say something helpful Negra :becky:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sure, I got mine for $750 over invoice after destination charge. It's a little more than I would have paid if I picked one up that they had on the lot, but like I said...I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. I teetered back and forth between the DC and CM, because there is sufficient room in the double cab. However, in the end I chose the CM because we will start to use this truck for trips and it is VERY roomy in that CM cab.

I know you can save some money on used trucks, which is why I always said I would buy used. However, the way the Toyota's have held their values (hopefully that holds true after this recall fiasco) is a lot better than say the Nissan Titans. And for me, the smaller savings with the Toyota coupled with the peace of mind knowing that the truck hasn't been abused before is worth it.

On a side note, I got back from Baghdad in '08. When did you get back?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I also would encourage you to look at new as well as used. I wanted a rather basic truck, as I feel that Toyota puts a significant amount of options on the standard trucks. All the used trucks in my area were around $28K and up and had a ton of options that I just didn't need. I bought a brand new 2010 Rock Warrior for $30.5K after rebate, in the color I wanted, with no miles or previous owners problems, with the options that I wanted. Mine was below the "invoice" price that Edmonds.com provided for me and I got the destination charge waived. This was BEFORE the reccall, so you can almost certainly do better than that now. Also, my truck was not on the lot, they had to drive over a 100 miles to pick it up for me.

I think for the minimal upgrade cost of the 5.7, it is the best option for me at least. More power than I really need and better mileage than the 4.7. I bought the 4wd because its a truck and I intend to use it as a truck. A 4wd will have better resale value if that is something you think about. I bought the double cab because I want the longer bed. You probably want at least the 6.5 foot bed if you are gonna put a bike in it. I am 6-04 and find that there is plenty of room for me and another tall rear seat passenger. The rear seats don't recline at all, but they are more comfortable than you might imagine. Take a look at one before deciding its too small for you.

In terms of packages, it all depends on what you want. Personally I like the way the manual seats. My wife is a foot shorter than me, so if she drives she moves the seat all the way forward. Its much easier and faster to have a manual slide than slow electric slide. That being said, she has driven it once on the test drive and never since. You probably want the tow package. The cold weather package is nice if you get snow, the wiper de-icer grid was awesome in our 3 feet of snow. I got the upgraded radio with bluetooth and steering wheel controls. I did not get the navigation, because I don't want to pay Toyota every year or so for an upgrade. My wife has a GPS and my cell phone has an awesome navigation program. I really wanted the Toyota back up camera and strongly encourage you to get one if you can. I could not find one in the truck I wanted, so I got an aftermarket camera. It was more expensive and not covered under Toyota warranty though.

Good luck, you're gonna love the Tundra, no matter what you get.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Personally, I'm not a huge gadget guy. My first truck was 5 speed, no air, 4 cyl, manual tranny, manual windows and locks. Give me power windows and locks, power adjust on the driver's seat, air, a big engine and an auto tranny and it feels like a luxury car to me. I don't do DVDs in the truck and have never been a big fan of leather. Although if I keep letting the fiance drive I make down on a backup cam.

I'll put it this way... you have to look at your own resources and priorities. Some people can afford to check every option box. Otherwise you have to look at whether this is a long distance cruiser or purely something to help manage moving weekend toys around. I like moderately equipped on the inside but will spend my money under the hood.

If I were somewhere where it never snowed and the worst I dealt with was dirt roads I'd go 4x2. Otherwise for me I don't buy rear wheel drive pickups.

This is the last new one I will try. If it doesn't work out well I'm tired of spending all this money and still encountering expensive problems prior to 100K. If it's gonna happen either way I'd rather save 5-10 grand on initial purchase price at least.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I checked off 4X4, and 5.7, because from what you said, I think you need those options. I also checked DC, because I think that is the most versatile configuration. My DC with a bench seat can carry 6 people in comfort and I still have a 6.5 foot bed. Another option I would suggest is the tow package, if you plan on towing anything. Lastly, get a new one. There have been some lemons produced, and your chances of winding up with a problem vehicle are greater if you are buying a pre-owned Tundra. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would get a Certified Pre-Owned Truck. Why? because there is the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty! And if previous didn't treat the truck well, you'll get a new drivetrain?(hopefully not) but better than buying at the Small Stealerships! lmao.

Double Cabs are comfy, but crewmax's have reclining rear seats! Get the 4x4 and 5.7 if you want,,,

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Definitely get the Certified Pre-Owned. Top notch warrenty and if the truck had any of the common problems listed on the forums it won't be a Certified truck. And you'll save a bundle because its out of that first year depreciation drop. I looked at Car Max as well but the dealer had them beat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Double cab, 8 ft bed(that is just me have gone with the shorter one and it just does not cut it with transporting material), 4x4, 5.7 engine, TRD package, Bench seat in front(I hate buckets), heated tow mirrors, towing package, running boards or step ups, rain guards on windows, spray in bed liner, the list can go on and on...I like things that make me comfortable but not too gadgetry.
The 8 foot bed also allows me more room with a slide in camper, so that is another reason. If I were "four" wheeling I sure wouldn't be doing it with a truck, I like my off road crap small, light and easy to turn around, get unstuck or even with the right gear or people get back on it's wheels.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I had a '07 Double Cab - I traded it in a few months ago for a new Crew Max. Do I miss the extra foot of bed space from the double cab (6.5' vs 5.5') ..? Yeah, sometimes. But, even though the Double cab was okay for interior space, the Crew Max is amazing. Soooo much room back there, and definitely much more comfortable than the Double Cab.

Oh, with current rebates & financing, unless you have the cash-in-hand to buy a used truck, you'll probably do just as well financing a new one.

There's tons of aftermarket options, so unless you don't mind spending the extra $1500-2000 for the stock Nav.....(not counting the extra few $-grand to upgrade to the limited, since you generally need the limited for Nav), you can find a decent aftermarket NAV system for under $500 that works just as well. I use a Pioneer F700bt Nav unit, and I have no complaints. The whole setup, for the unit, install kit, etc, was under $500 on ebay... and the F700bt is by no-means the best aftermarket setup available.

I had the 4.7L in my '07, and now I have the 5.7L. It's definitely more powerful... but it's mostly there for boasting & hot-rodding, unless you really do a bunch of towing. Get the 5.7 if you like power, otherwise, the smaller engine is just fine.

4x4 definitely! You will retain much of the original cost of the 4x4 for resale. Not all, but most.

SR5 package will get you most of the goodies you want. I have a grade-level, only cause I wanted a specific truck (with bench seats) and had to get the grade to find it at the time. No biggie though. My truck has all the same options as my SR5 did except for the MPG-Calculator readout... but that can be added (see my thread for that). Actually, this grade has more options than my SR5 did, including Fog Lights, upgraded radio with dash controls, tow package, cold-weather package, and my bench seats. And, I currently have leather on the way for very cheap (should be here tomorrow, and installed within the next week or 2)... probably saved $1200 doing it that way.

Good luck & happy hunting. Welcome to TS

·
Registered
820 Posts
I got the crewmax for family, plus I wanted the passengers to feel comfy. The only thing I wish I got was 4x4, but in Florida you dont really need it. If I had 4x4 I would probably just tear up my nice truck in the mud or trails. You can get a basic tundra like me a grade, and hook it up with what you want for much cheaper. I would have liked to have a normal bed for my 6 foot ladder, but it still fits when I need it just sticks out over the tailgate at an angle.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I checked off everything that I have.
2010 Double Cab TRD Rock Warrior. I can install goodies if needed. Don't need power seats as once it is where i want it it stays. Kids fit in the back seat (I'm 6'4" so the drivers side is all the way back, no complaints when we went and played in the snow). I use my truck fer work so I need the 6'6" bed for all my crap.
5.7L 4X4 is perfect power combo. fun in the snow.
Gas mileage is par for a full size truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
willi717 Cheers for your info on here and your PM thats great to hear and well done on getting a great price, it gives me something to aim for! have also replied to your PM.

spoon059 Sounds like you got a great deal on yours also. I've also noticed that the used one's I've been looking at are loaded with stuff I probably wouldn't use but at the price of a new one. I'll definitely be looking at 4x4 hadn't really thought about resale value but it makes sense. I hear you on the cab, I'm only 5'7" so no problems here, Will get in a CB and CM to see which I prefer. I'll also be getting the 5.7 V8 engine as well... As for packages thats going to take me some time to figure out. I do like popo2239 take on getting a truck.

eharri3, tonyspin, Geordybass, bigMoney & sisu cheers for your input on everything, I hadn't thought about pre-owned but that sounds like a pretty good option, I will be paying cash for the truck no financing so am hoping that too will give me more bargaining power. I like the sound of a bench seat which I hadn't even thought about, told you I was new at this... Can you get the camper for any size bed? or just the 8ft? I'll look over other threads for this answer as well. Also is the camper the box that sits on the bed with windows or is that something else? not sure about the terminology.

popo2239
Thanks for your in-depth advice it's a great help, you're reiterating what I've been hearing throughout this thread which is telling me I'm on the right track. I like your advice on keeping the costs down, makes sense, I really need to get back to the US and get in one to fully appreciate what everyone is saying. So Thanks.

red4rr & ogtoyfan Thanks for your input it's very much appreciated. You both have good arguments for CB and CM, I'm now excited about getting back and finally making the jump in buying one.

Thanks to all of you for your advice so far! I'm glad I picked this forum your help is priceless and very much appreciated! :first:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
No problem Rossco... this is a great forum for questions like this.

One important thing that you MUST keep in mind if you're buying a used truck (and I've got no problems with doing that!) is to make sure you buy one that has been In-Service for less than 36 months, and has less than 36000 miles. Reason being, you can purchase a Toyota Platinum (bumper-to-bumper with perks like $0 deductable, roadside asst, towing, etc) warranty --- and you can find dealers on this forum that sell them for a great price. You can get up to 8 years (from original service date of vehicle), and up to 125k miles [I purchased an 8yr/75k mile for $920]. You just have to do it before the 3yr/36k mark, otherwise, you can't do it thru Toyota.

Oh, and a lot of guys on here will say to stay away from the first year of this model (2007) only because it's the first year of a new model.... just food for thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem Rossco... this is a great forum for questions like this.

One important thing that you MUST keep in mind if you're buying a used truck (and I've got no problems with doing that!) is to make sure you buy one that has been In-Service for less than 36 months, and has less than 36000 miles. Reason being, you can purchase a Toyota Platinum (bumper-to-bumper with perks like $0 deductable, roadside asst, towing, etc) warranty --- and you can find dealers on this forum that sell them for a great price. You can get up to 8 years (from original service date of vehicle), and up to 125k miles [I purchased an 8yr/75k mile for $920]. You just have to do it before the 3yr/36k mark, otherwise, you can't do it thru Toyota.

Oh, and a lot of guys on here will say to stay away from the first year of this model (2007) only because it's the first year of a new model.... just food for thought.
Cheers Popo, again something else I wasn't aware of. Whats this I'm hearing about a grade truck, am I correct in assuming that means a standard no frills?
I think I'm leaning toward a certified pre-owned 2009 model, 5.7, 4x4... Still undecided on the cab so will decide that when I get back... also the packages, I like the TRD one and SR5 but will need to do a little more research on them to see if I can just trick it our with aftermarket stuff. I'm sure the quality of it from Toyota is good but no doubt there is better stuff out there.
Do Tundras come with cruise control as standard? this is a must have for me. I can't afford to keep paying the $200 speeding fines...
Thanks
Rossco.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts