Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know which wires to connect together on this brake controller. It is a Tekonsha P3. In the pic you can see the wires coming from the controller and the wires on the harness/connector. Which colors do I connect together?

Also, where does the connector plug into? I'd assume its under the dash somewhere? I looked quickly but didn't see anything under the dash without removing any plastic?

The 2nd pic attached is a wiring diagram that I found for the harness, I conldn't find one on the controller.

Thanks for any help, here's the pics...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Using the search will retrieve all the info you're looking for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your useless post.. I infact searched this site for about an hour before I posted. I could not find a wiring for dummies thread. I did find where the connector is located under the dash, didn't know if I needed to remove anything to get to it.

I searched google and found the diagram for the P3.
Here's how I think it works..

harness to controller:
Black/Red to Black
Red to Blue
Brown to White
Green/White to Red

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dude, apparently you didn't search effectively. If you did, you would've found out that the Toyota Factory plug/harness is located behind the kick panel which YOU DO HAVE TO REMOVE. You didn't even post what year model Tundra you have or any pertinent details.
There are even multiple posts on where to install the P3 (i.e. which cubby, etc.).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I searched, apparently you are correct I didn't search effectively. I came up with hundreds of threads when I typed Brake Controller in the search box. Most threads that came up refered to mounting of the controller itself, not the info I was looking for, therefore I posted a thread. And you telling me to use the Search function helped me none, as that was the first thing I did.
A google search gave me the wiring info I was looking for. I thought posting my questions here would yeild quicker results as I'm trying to hook this up right now.

In a previous thread that I found while "searching unefectively" stated that the factory plug was under the dash, I couldnt find it there, but thanks for pointing me towards the kick panel, I will look there now.

BTW, my truck is a 09 Tundra crewmax, sr5, TRD, and the color is silver. Sorry if I forgot to mention it before.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Many places sell the prewired harness that connects between the controller and the connector behind the kick panel. It's just basically plug and play. Look on the Tekonsha web site, Camping World, etc. Mine was less than 20 bucks...made it simple.

Bought mine from these guys....bottom left of page, the 3040P. It says 04-06, but mine is a '07 and it worked. Pretty sure it will work on your '09.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=76&pageNum=563

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many places sell the prewired harness that connects between the controller and the connector behind the kick panel. It's just basically plug and play. Look on the Tekonsha web site, Camping World, etc. Mine was less than 20 bucks...made it simple.
thanks for the info, I came upon the plug n play wire this morning and ordered one from ebay. Until it comes in I'm mounting the controller and temp. wiring it to make sure it works since I bought it from a member here.

·
Registered
216 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the aftermarket harness wire colors are different from the one originally on the truck and possibly controller. I noticed the wires were snipped on your controller, so make sure you're following the Toy factory chart and the Tekonsha manual (available online) and refer to the wire matching some members have made on the forums (above link). Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the wiring done. But still having trouble finding the factory harness/plug under the kick panel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I suppose your truck came with the factory hitch? If it did, then it is buried behind the emergency brake (under the kick panel). It is a white female plug probably covered with some black electrical tape (in a bunch of wires). It may also have a white dud male plug that's in it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx for your post. I finally found it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
NP. Glad you got it hooked up.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the aftermarket harness wire colors are different from the one originally on the truck and possibly controller. I noticed the wires were snipped on your controller, so make sure you're following the Toy factory chart and the Tekonsha manual (available online) and refer to the wire matching some members have made on the forums (above link). Good luck.
The Toyota harness that came in the glove box is not color coded to industry standards. Blue is the wire color for the brake activation circuit...Toyota's color for that wire is Red. Personally, the best place for the glove box harness is in the trash.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The P3 came with a yellow label on the original P3 cable. I used this yellow label that shows wire matching to the Toyota harness. Mine works beautifully and I have the p3040 harness aside now unused.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Bought mine from these guys....bottom left of page, the 3040P. It says 04-06, but mine is a '07 and it worked. Pretty sure it will work on your '09.

GO-RV.com - RV On-line Catalog
I don't understand why these harnesses sell at all. I have never wired a brake controller before. I spent 5 minutes on the internet and 5 minutes on the kitchen table and 10 minutes later my brake controller was in my truck and working. Probably the exact same amount of time with the harness.:confused: Oh, I forgot, $20 richer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wired mine together also while sitting on my couch, came out nice and I may not need the adapter I ordered.
Thx to everyone that helped me with the install. Its all finished up and I hooked up my trailer and went for a test ride. works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts