Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Help! Horrible Burning Smell at WOT

15K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  diablonyc2 
#1 ·
We are having this problem with our Sequoia. Mentioned it to the service writer last time we had the oil changed, but of course they could not duplicate :rolleyes:

When driving the vehicle normally, there is no odor whatsoever. However, when blasting WOT, the cabin is filled with a burning smell that instantly reminded me of a recently fired gun, along with a tinge of...MOTHBALLS?

As soon as you let off the gas, the smell wafts away until the next time I punch it.

What could this be? ???

#4 ·
It is NOT normal, I assure you. It makes your eyes sting when the windows are down. You can faintly smell it with the windows up.

My suspicion is a slipping belt. I have to take it back to the dealer with more direct instructions. :rain:

#7 ·
We have an '07 Sequoia that we bought in Dec '08. I first noticed this last spring with all the windows down.

I think it smells like cat pee.

I searched the Sequoia forums and postings say "it's normal"

I also have noticed it with all the windows closed when I "stomp on it"

#9 ·
Yea I had this problem with my v6 4runner. There was finally a TSB issued on it that required the changing of the cats. Did absolutely nothing. I hate that the sequoia does this too.

#10 ·
Took it back to the dealership. They said they could find nothing wrong, and advised that I turn on the "recirc" button...un-freakin-believable. I pointed out that NO vehicle with 10,000 miles should smell pungent, but he just wasn't getting my drift. How can this be normal??? My Tundra NEVER smelled!

I am going to try another local dealer in a couple of weeks. If they tell me the same thing...I just can't fathom that a $50,000 vehicle has to flippin' stink...

#11 ·
I had this "problem" on my 04 4Runner and it's reappearing on my 08 Sequoia.
When I first raised this issue with my 4Runner the toyo service guy basically said that it was the ethanol in the type of fuel I was using. He said that if I tried fuel without ethanol the smell would go away... guy was totally right. Now I live in the mid-west where 10% ethanol 89 is cheaper than non-ethanol 87. Currently going higher octane but not sure if it's the better deal.

#12 ·
Had this on our 08 Seq for about the first 9 months. Seems to be gone now or we are just used to the sulfur like smell. It was not that strong to begin with and we never smelled it unless I was stepping on the gas really hard like trying to merge into traffic or something.

Joe

#13 ·
I had the same problem using Mobil gas. Dealer suggested Sunoco. It still happened but not as bad. I next tried Chevron, and the problem has gone away.

It's linked to sulfur levels in the gas, which vary by brand, and by region of the country.

The cats in a lot of Toyotas don't handle excess sulfur levels very well.

You'll have to experiment, trying a couple of tankfuls to be sure you've got a truly low-sulfur brand.

#14 ·
This is normal for sequoia. I have same with my sequoia and its 1st gen.
Tundra exhaust is pointed sideways and fumes can't get into vehicle. Where Sequoias exhaust is pointed backwards and when you punch it, it recirculates and goes through back of the vehicle. You will notice a lot stronger smell if you have your REAR window opened.

#16 ·
Under WOT you are doing more fuel of course which the cat is trying to dispose of. I have seen them turn cherry red hot but that is usually towards end of life and they are pretty restricted.
Your 02 sensor should be cutting back fuel if running 2 rich

#17 ·
I've got it too in my SR5, I actually love the smell, smells like -- Victory. Happened today against an Acura RL at a stop light who cut in front of me before the light and I got back in the side line, gave him a slight glance and we were off to the races. Smoked him before 40 in Tow Haul Mode. Then, the sweet smell of burning, that smell - you know that gasoline smell! Love it baby.

#18 ·
Not sure what WOT means, but I have a strange chemical smell in my 13 Seq that I picked up in August. I just removed all of my formats to see if that was the issue (Weathertech all weather in front/ exact cut in the 2nd & 3rd row and OEM rubber may for the back). The order has always been there and we got the mats as soon as we got the car.

Besides gas type... And other suggestions? It seems no one really beat it... Would a cat change do it?

#19 ·
Update --- it appears it may be the mats! The smell is greatly reduced when I enter the car (and disappears once driving) Now to figure out which ones.

The Weathertech All weather in the front are rubber, the 2,3rd row is plastic, but the OEM rubber mat in the back is a giant piece of rubber. I will slowly add them back to the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.