Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Oil Filter - OEM & Replacement the oil filter be replaced every second time you get your oil changed.

And i learn from the first link that a clogged oil filter can be leading to overheating, weak engine performance, and damage to the engine. so should i wait for those symptoms to change it?

if im to change it, which do you recommend, OEM oil filter or aftermarket?

and the dealership says that a recommended way is to change it on a regular basis. Is he fooling me? How long do you guys change it? plz let me know. much appreciated.
Font Rectangle Electric blue Magenta Brand

· Registered
10 Posts
Well, seeing how Toyota had issues with sludge buildup and other issues when people followed the original OEM specifications, I replace my filter with every oil change. I change my oil every 5000 miles with a good synthetic oil, and aftermarket filter. No issues, and I don't want any... I change my Air filter every 10,000 to 15,000 depending on how it looks. I check it every time I change the oil.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5000 miles, oil & filter. I take it to Big O Tires where I bought my tires and get my free tire rotation at the same time. I usually get coupons in the mail and only spend about $20 for blended oil and new filter. Cheaper than me doing it myself and easier on this old guy. Chap
[/引用]
Thanks bro. Much appreciated.

· Registered
2006 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
219 Posts
I do like the supplier in the link, but never could find them recommending two oil changes per oil filter.
And know better.
$4 for OEM Toyota oil filters?
Guaranteed you are safe for 5000 miles..
PURE Non Traffic Jam Highway Driving perhaps 10K, but why chance it?

· Premium Member
515 Posts
+1. Use OEM filters and 0W20 synthetic oil every 5000 miles. I have my oil changes & tire rotations completed at the Toyota dealer. I travel a lot and I’d rather pay $80 or so for dealer service. If anything ever goes wrong they have to take care of it. OEM parts are what the vehicle was designed to perform best with. Toyota brand oil is actually Mobil one. Look at it this way… How much is an oil change compared to a new engine? I’m old school from the days of 3000 mile oil changes. Since 2005 I’ve converted to 5000 mile oil changes.

Try checking out The Car Care Nut on YouTube. He is a 25+ year Toyota mechanic and has over 100 in depth presentations on Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I trust what he says on maintenance intervals for fluids and filters.

· Registered
12 Posts
I have made this simple. I change synthetic oil every 10k miles. I don’t need stickers on the window to remember that :) On the even,or close to milestones. So 220,000, 230,000 etc. ‘03 4.7 sequoia is now at 340k miles. Pulled valve covers to change gaskets recently and I was amazed at how clean things looked on top of the heads. The major auto stores have deals that include an oil filter for free with some oils. Advanced Auto always has a free Mobil 1 filter w Mobil 1 synthetic. 6 quarts for my motor. Air filter every other oil change (20k mi) for me but guess that could depend on how dusty your conditions are. I do fluids check, lube driveshafts and rotate tires/check pressure at the oil intervals. Spray MAF sensor at air filter changes.

· Registered
8 Posts
For me I use high mileage synthetic blend 5w30 and buy a 15,000 mi. Oil filter and change filter every 4th oil change I do it myself I have a 2001 sr5 access cab 4x4 3.4L v6 with 249,000 mi. On it! Taken it from Maine to Arizona n back 4 times with 600lb welding machine in back n hauling a 3,000lb trailer in my opinion Toyota's first gen Tundras will run consistently as long as you change your fluids oil,diffs, transfer for 4x4s, coolant n tranny! Take it for what it's worth

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1. Use OEM filters and 0W20 synthetic oil every 5000 miles. I have my oil changes & tire rotations completed at the Toyota dealer. I travel a lot and I’d rather pay $80 or so for dealer service. If anything ever goes wrong they have to take care of it. OEM parts are what the vehicle was designed to perform best with. Toyota brand oil is actually Mobil one. Look at it this way… How much is an oil change compared to a new engine? I’m old school from the days of 3000 mile oil changes. Since 2005 I’ve converted to 5000 mile oil changes.

Try checking out The Car Care Nut on YouTube. He is a 25+ year Toyota mechanic and has over 100 in depth presentations on Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I trust what he says on maintenance intervals for fluids and filters.
Thanks bro.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts