Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my best, but had to come inside because it is freakin cold and 2:00 AM :ballchain:

Can someone give some advice for setting up a nice stepped cutoff? I will revisit tomorrow night :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
awww heck. thats cause u gots them fancey projector thingamigigs....if u kept ur stock headlamps u'd have had enough scatter to avoid having to find a cut off.....

jk of course.

but is this your way of sayin "hey lookie at my headlights" hahahaha. nice job btw. sorry cant help u with the cut off adjustment...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
They cutoff looks nice and even. What I did to make sure I was getting the maximum height without blinding anyone was;

A)Measure the distance from the middle of your projector straight down to the ground, for me that was right at 40 inches.

B)Find a parking garage and park exactly 25 feet from the wall.

C)Measure 38 inches from the ground (40 inches from A - 2 inches) and mark it on the wall

D)Cover each headlight completely (with a jacket or whatever) while doing the adjustment to the other headlight.

E)Adjust the light so the passenger side of the cutoff is no higher than 38 inches. (I tried the driver side of the cutoff to 38 inches but it blinds oncoming drivers as well as having the passenger side cutoff hit the side view mirrors of cars that are going the same direction as you.)

F)Enjoy your new lights, I've never had anyone flash me after doing the above adjustment.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I thought at a certain distance, like 25 feet or farther, there is only supposed to be one "bump"...I don't like the way the shape is now. I want this...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Have a good look through this website:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

It's full of information regarding headlights and the different markings and patterns. There are many different types of headlights that are made to different specs. The sharp cutoff usually denotes a European spec headlamp but there different variations of beam pattern. DOT spec headlamps traditionally have a less sharp cutoff and are not as easily aimed.

Anyway, be sure to click through all the areas of that site and you'll see tons of info.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
But I thought at a certain distance, like 25 feet or farther, there is only supposed to be one "bump"...I don't like the way the shape is now. I want this...

The bump you are referring to is the cutoff from driver side to passenger side cutoff. Even the above picture has it if you look to the right of the predominant cut. It's right where the garage meets the siding. If you have them adjusted so they meet at one point you are missing out on the width the projectors offer.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand there is some overlap, but not as much as I currently have :( Maybe I am just spoiled by the OEM shape of my TL projectors.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i agree...the second pics look lots better. i wouldnt want to have paid that much for the cutoff in the first set....but thats just me. hope it works out for you

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree...the second pics look lots better. i wouldnt want to have paid that much for the cutoff in the first set....but thats just me. hope it works out for you
Dude, will you stop taking shots at me because I'm asking for help in optimizing my setup? :rolleyes: Obviously I'm working on it, so if you're going to bash my mods, at least wait until I'm done...

I have always been extremely respectful toward your personal choice in HIDs, and I'd appreciate the same in return. No one asked you to buy or pay for anything.

People come here for help from fellow members, not to have people make snippy comments toward those that are trying to LEARN. :td: So please, cut me a ****ing break for once. I am fully committed to making these perfect, and if you don't know how to help maybe you could please refrain from busting my proverbial balls. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
that was rude....i didnt mean to come across that way. sorry. obviously ur cut off is better than ours...thats why i postd that first part jokingly about saying if u would have just cheapened out like we did u could have enough scatter to cover the cut off....

and no, im not bashing your mods. out of anyone on this forum all of yours are the most tasteful. just expensive. :) but good work nonetheless.

i'll try to be less cranky.

honest.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I will too (cut down on the crankiness, I mean). I am just really freaking annoyed because these have taken SO LONG to come to fruition, and now I feel like my inexperience in aiming ANYTHING is preventing me from making them really fantastic. :mad:

I'll post pictures of the housings later, they are really phenomanal with the new shroud setup :) No light escaping or projector housings visible! :)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yes post pics up. i wonder if a high quality body shop can assist you in aiming them? or a custom shop someplace? if u cant get it urself....i hate aiming headlights...i usually aim, drive then aim again then focus on something a week later and go back and reaim. my wife is always like "i dont see what you are seeing ,they look fine" uh yeah.

we had to take the benz back several times to get them to aim the lights properly after her wreck in 08....but they finally got it....

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The further away you are from the wall the more pronounced it is.

Read the general aiming and alignment guide, the only thing I disagree with is the height of the driver side of the beam pattern being 2 inches less b/c of the height of our vehicles. The passenger side of the beam pattern on mine is 2 inches less and it's just the right height. Find a nice garage, take your time and drive it on the road and adjust properly. If you're blinding people, they'll let you know. Just ask 07DCwhiteSR5 :behindsofa:

Frequently Asked Questions | LightWerkz.net

1 - 16 of 16 Posts