Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need to recharge my A/C and got a can of refrigerant from the auto parts store. I've read through the forums and it sounds simple enough.

Except I have one question: which is the low side valve? Is it the valve with the black cap on the passenger side of the engine? There is also a green capped valve on the driver side.

I have a 2003 Tundra. My A/C isn't blowing cold, but it seems like the compressor is kicking on, so I think I'm just low on refrigerant.

Thanks for your help in advance! It's getting hot here in Colorado!
Justin

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can't help you on which is the high or low side. Your a/c system is a sealed unit meaning that it went somewhere. I would bet you have a leak and O rings seem to be the spot more times than not.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Hi All,

I need to recharge my A/C and got a can of refrigerant from the auto parts store. I've read through the forums and it sounds simple enough.

Except I have one question: which is the low side valve? Is it the valve with the black cap on the passenger side of the engine? There is also a green capped valve on the driver side.

I have a 2003 Tundra. My A/C isn't blowing cold, but it seems like the compressor is kicking on, so I think I'm just low on refrigerant.

Thanks for your help in advance! It's getting hot here in Colorado!
Justin

The charging hose you have to connect the can to the correct low side port will only fit the low side connector. They've made them different sizes to prevent amateurs from hurting themselves when the can explodes when connected to the high pressure port.

Larry

·
Registered
267 Posts
there are two refrigerant lines going into the fire wall. the low side is the larger line. start at the fire wall, and find the larger line and follow it until you find the port. If you are low on refrigerant, you have a leak. period. it will not get better on its own. dye needs to be injected into the system and then the leaks found and fixed. then the system needs to be charged with a machine that can meter in the correct amount

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. I understand the issue and that the leak needs to be fixed. Is DIY recharging ultimately pointless? Should I not even bother? Funds are rather low for the moment, and I probably can't sink a couple bills into A/C troubleshooting. Is this an okay stop gap?

The odd thing is that I see so many conflicting opinions about this. Some people say it's not a good idea, while others have a great experience and it works well. Some people say that slow leaks can be inconsistent and DIY recharging can actually fix them.

Regardless, thanks for the good help. This forum rocks!

Justin

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Had a Ford that required one can a year for the whole time I owned it. YES it had a leak but the one can a year DID make the A/C work like a champ. Of course I was younger and funds were scarce. I think it was was a couple dollars a year and i never did fix the leak before passing it on to the new owner MANY years later.

One thing to note, I remember being informed that running the compressor low on freon could damaged it. You do take a chance by doing this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
they do sell freon with dye already in it. If I were going to put some in, I would use the stuff with the dye to make it easier/cheaper to diagnose the leak. also, get a pressure gauge to make sure that you don't over fill it. they have the gauges at the auto part store that just measure the low side pressure. this is not the most accurate way to do it, but it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
hope this helps but my last 2 Toys have both had o rings go bad when they were both new. 06 DC O Ring failed in Muleshoe Texas in Aug and when i went thru Dallas it was 113 and i was not Happy
whay does someone from the front range need an AC?

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Read the link provided by HOGWILD. It shows you how to use the sight glass built into the receiver-drier to monitor the refrigerant charge. No pressure gauge or manifold gauge set is needed (although double cab models do not have a sight glass).

Toyota technician training manuals advise technicians not to use dyes to detect refrigerant gas leaks. They advise using an electronic type refrigerant gas leak detector.

I agree with DH that if you have a slow leak, you can simply add refrigerant as needed. BUT if you ever have a huge leak that causes all the refrigerant to leak out, then you need to not only repair the leak, but also replace the receiver-drier, add a bit of compressor oil to make up for the oil that was inside the old receiver-drier, then evacuate the system with a vaccuum pump for 30 minutes and finally recharge system with the right amount of refrigerant.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Just for kicks, open the hood and feel along the plastic tubing that goes to the AC condensor. Mine leaked at a fitting there and it felt oily. They tried to simply replace an o-ring, but ended up replacing the condensor and some tubing. Glad I didn't have to pay for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys ... I am having the same problem with my 03Tunrdras AC.
I am sure I have a leak as well.
My question is ...from the firewall is the low pressure port on the driver side towards the top Green?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Low Pressure Side of the 2000 Tundra is on the Passenger Side next to the Firewall, you will see two lines (one over the other) passing through the firewall near the top.

The large line will have a connector on it with a Black Cap.

Look real close at the Cap, there is a large 'L' on it (low pressure side).

The high pressure connector is next to the Receiver (front of the engine compartment, left side of the condenser / radiator) on the Passenger Side. The Black Cap has a large 'H' on it. (both letters are very hard to see, but they are there)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts