Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background on my truck.

2006 TRD Tundra Double Cab, 2wd V8
42,000 miles
Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks set at highest level
Nitto Terra Graplers on 17" Helo Max wheels
Truck only sees the street and the ocassional curb.

I have had the Bilstein shocks for a little over 3 years and haven't had any problems. About 3 months ago when I would make a turn left or right I started hearing some noises. It has progressively gotten worse and now I am ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out whats wrong. I checked out everything under the truck..all looks good visually. I replaced the sway bar end links this past weekend with some end links another member here recommended (Moog k80083). Noise is still there. I sounds like its coming from the driver side front suspension, klunking, popping noise, loud enough that people across the street can hear it when I pull out of my driveway. I happens primarily when I am driving slow, going over speed bumps, or pulling in a parking space. It always happens when I lock the steering wheel turning left and then when I am backing into a driveway or pparking space. I know trying to diagnose a "noise" over the internet is near impossible, but what do you guys think. Ball joints (recall was done about 2 years ago)? Tie rod ends? UCA bushings? Bad steering rack? Where shall I start? I jacked up the driver side of the truck tonight, turned the wheel al the way to the left and then wiggled the wheel up & down, side to side..there was a little play in the wheel when I went side to side. I did the same thing to the passenger side and got the same result. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shock bolt loose or worn out bushing?
Checked all bolts tonight too, everything is nice and tight. Which bushings?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Shock bushings. My lower ones are starting to wear out and making noise. It's a squeak rather than a popping noise though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock UCA's. After driving to and from work today I noticed that the noise is really noticeable when I have my foot on the brake or brake really hard. I replaced the pads a couple months ago, almost the same time the noise starte. I am wondering if my brakes are the culprit?!?!? :confused: Could the pads be shifting? Slow turning with my foot on the brakes creates the most noise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could also have a sticking caliper
How would I know if the caliper is sticking?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
How would I know if the caliper is sticking?
you could only drive in circles! :D

seriously, just measure the thickness of your pads. if one of the calipers is sticking, then the pads on the wheel of a sticking caliper should be a bit thinner than the pads on the other wheel. if it is sticking, then the longer it has been sticking the bigger the difference you should see.

i had this happen on a chevy truck only it was taking place in the drum on the drivers side and not on the front discs. no noise though. it was like nascar - left turns only! HA! good luck to you! let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
let us know how this turns out
Well I dropped off the truck at my local Firestone dealer this morning. They called me and said that the noise was coming from bad steering rack bushings! Im surprised that at 40K the bushings are already bad. The guy said he was 100% positive this was the issue. Said they put it up on the rack, had someone turn the wheels and they could see the steering rack move back and forth. They want $278 to replace them..I think I will do it myself next wkend.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Well I dropped off the truck at my local Firestone dealer this morning. They called me and said that the noise was coming from bad steering rack bushings! Im surprised that at 40K the bushings are already bad. The guy said he was 100% positive this was the issue. Said they put it up on the rack, had someone turn the wheels and they could see the steering rack move back and forth. They want $278 to replace them..I think I will do it myself next wkend.
I had to replace mine at 36K. I upgraded to the poly bushings from Wheelers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I upgraded to the poly bushings from Wheelers
The Energy Suspension bushings? Did you do it yourself? If so, how difficult was it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a mysterious clunk coming from my 04 DC. I notice it when I'm going straight, and hit small bumps. It's a definite *clunk* from something heavy-duty. Not like brake pads or a heat shield. Don't notice any difference when I'm turning or not. I also noticed it alot when I would back up, and tap the brakes. I think I've finally figured it out. It appears there's some slop in the UCA bushings. I had my wife slowly drive the truck up and back (with me under on a creeper!) and was able to see the UCA moving as she hit the brakes, going in reverse. It maybe moved 2-3mm. I didn't notice any slop from my PS.

Just thought I'd throw this up there,as it's been driving me nuts for weeks!

Maybe it's time for some Camburgs and 5100s....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts