Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I live up in the middle of no where. I have an 01 tundra that has the front diff blown up and needing replaced. I called the Toyoat dealer ship in the nearest town (130 miles away) to get some info. I talked withthe parts guy. I found that in the 01 Toyota used 2 different gear ratios. Not knowing which one I have is a real pain. I gave the guy my VIn, but he said that he can;t pull up the diff infor from the vin. The only way to tell what the gear ratio is, is to start counting teeth.

Any other ideas? I have looked for the original build sheet, but it is not to be found. Is the guy I talked to wrong? I would prefer doing this for as cheap as possible so I need to know my gear ratio to start searching for a replacement front diff...

Thanks for the help guys.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
If you have the V8 you likely have the 3.91:1 gears. If it's a 6 then probably the 4.30:1 gears.

As far as I remember all the 01s though, had the 3.90s. You can PM Mustang and if you ask really nicely he nmay be able to tell you what you have by your VIN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They should be able to tell you from the VIN.

I had them do this last week when i swapped diffs between two 06 Tacomas. And thats the only info they used.

The ratio will be listed in the part description screen. In brackets or something. I'm not a parts guy !! Just a tech.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Ok I live up in the middle of no where. I have an 01 tundra that has the front diff blown up and needing replaced. I called the Toyoat dealer ship in the nearest town (130 miles away) to get some info. I talked withthe parts guy. I found that in the 01 Toyota used 2 different gear ratios. Not knowing which one I have is a real pain. I gave the guy my VIn, but he said that he can;t pull up the diff infor from the vin. The only way to tell what the gear ratio is, is to start counting teeth.

Any other ideas? I have looked for the original build sheet, but it is not to be found. Is the guy I talked to wrong? I would prefer doing this for as cheap as possible so I need to know my gear ratio to start searching for a replacement front diff...

Thanks for the help guys.
NW Colorado and remote does that equal Browns Park? thats the most remote place I have ever lived. Rock Springs Wy or Vernal Ut for supplies. Flaming Gorge was great though. But I had internet through the phone company, mail only arrived twice a week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NW Colorado and remote does that equal Browns Park? thats the most remote place I have ever lived. Rock Springs Wy or Vernal Ut for supplies. Flaming Gorge was great though. But I had internet through the phone company, mail only arrived twice a week.
Actually the differential went out in Brown Park. I live in Craig, but there is toyota dealer here. Nearest one is in Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction.

If you know browns park, then I was actually acroos the Swinging Bridge on the Utah side of the boarder in a drift when the diff. Broke. I managed to Completely snap the front driveline. So I wasstuck with rear wheel drive. I managed to chain up and get back to the pavement. Then had the long 90 mile + haul back to Craig.

Thanks for the help I will try and figure out my ratio using one of the ways suggested.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
To find an unknown ratio, make a chalk mark on a tire and on the driveshaft. move the truck slowly for one tire rotation and have an observor note the number of driveshaft rotations. Compare the number of turns to the possible ratios. You can also do this by jacking up both rear wheels and turning them by hand. You might get a more accurate reading by rotating the tire 10 times and dividing the driveshaft rotations by 10. (thanks to Chilton Blazer book)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To find an unknown ratio, make a chalk mark on a tire and on the driveshaft. move the truck slowly for one tire rotation and have an observor note the number of driveshaft rotations. Compare the number of turns to the possible ratios. You can also do this by jacking up both rear wheels and turning them by hand. You might get a more accurate reading by rotating the tire 10 times and dividing the driveshaft rotations by 10. (thanks to Chilton Blazer book)
Yeah I know that trick also, but in this case I managed to snap the front driveline off at the yolk(SP?) also would that work on a puch button 4Wd? I gues it might, but you would have to get everything in nuteral.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
There is that nice narrow canyon you go through on the Utah side prior to the bridge, always liked that area.
I tried to cross that bridge with my 1 ton and it was 2 tight plus the weight limit. Always had to go upstream to the other crossing.

As stated before pm mustang and ask nicely he might come through for ya.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Do you have a V8? If so, the ratio is 3.90 (ten teeth on the pinion, 39 on the ring, IIRC).

I have a spare front diff sitting here, from one of the SAS trucks...3.90 gears, I think from an 00, don't remember if it's from Tedd's (00) or Jon's (01) truck.

-Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts