Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been searching and I just wanted to confirm... Are there any kits out there that are street legal for an 08 tundra? I read up on retrofitting. Is that the only way? I just got my truck 2 nights ago and I'm stoked on it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yes, as of today, retrofitting is the only way. I know other trucks had more options to this end. For example Sylvania made complete kits for Ford and GMC pickups in the past, but alas, the Tundra is left out once again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, as of today, retrofitting is the only way. I know other trucks had more options to this end. For example Sylvania made complete kits for Ford and GMC pickups in the past, but alas, the Tundra is left out once again.
No plug and play kits? :mad: Retrofitting would mean taking out light and fabricating a custom headlight? I dont think that would be legal either. So confused.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
No retrofit kit is DOT street legal, whether it's a PNP or full retrofit conversion like I've done. The benefit of doing it properly with a full retrofit conversion is that you actually increase your visibility while not blinding others.

Those that have done a plug and play are also increasing visibility (not as much) while also blinding others. When I see someone with a plug and play kit that is blinding others, I turn all 4 of my high beams on to show my displeasure.

If you want to keep it strictly legal go with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
These are just bulbs though, correct?
Correct, halogen bulbs. I have them as fogs and as my halogen high beams (my HID are bi-xenon, i.e. high and low) and upgraded my wife's Highlander headlights (high/low) and fogs with them and they're quite bright. Also cheaper than the $1200 I spent on my conversion.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess what I am asking, is there a way to get HIDs in the tundra, not too worried about the street legal, but concered about blinding people... What is the best solution for that scenario... Thank you for the advice given thus far, very helpful.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I guess what I am asking, is there a way to get HIDs in the tundra, not too worried about the street legal, but concered about blinding people... What is the best solution for that scenario... Thank you for the advice given thus far, very helpful.
How much are you willing to spend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
probably going to decide that after i figure out what all the options are, i dont want it to look cheap but i dont want to spend a grip either...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
probably going to decide that after i figure out what all the options are, i dont want it to look cheap but i dont want to spend a grip either...
If you're paying for a true HID retrofit you're looking at $800-$1200. If you do it yourself (see HIDplanet.com, not for the novice) you're looking at $300-$500.

Some members that have done retrofits might be selling there's as well. ThirdHorseman??

Personally I think an awesome retrofit would involve Gattling Gun shrouds with angel eyes mounted behind.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the rich people (above and thirdhorseman) both have used some dude that does excellent work on their lights. excellent. several examples of his work here. there are tons of write ups online for various vehicles regarding how to do the retro fit online, just google.but they arent cheap just keep that in mind. also if u are patient from time to time some can be foudn already retro'd on her or ebay or other sites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am I missing something here. Standard HID kits are available for the Tundra ranging from $40 on up, Plug and play. I have a set in mine and love them. My 07 low beam bulbs are H11's. Google "H11 HID kit". Get the 6000k kit, they look like factory HID's not to blue or after market looking.

Installations;
install new bulbs. just swap them out like replacing the bulb,
plug the new bulbs into the provided ballast,
Plug the ballasts into the factory light bulb harness,
mount ballasts and test.
You may need to adjust the beam a little lower to avoid blinding traffic.
FYI, do not touch the bulbs.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Am I missing something here. Standard HID kits are available for the Tundra ranging from $40 on up, Plug and play. I have a set in mine and love them. My 07 low beam bulbs are H11's. Google "H11 HID kit". Get the 6000k kit, they look like factory HID's not to blue or after market looking.

Installations;
mount ballasts and test.
Not really..Some are concerned with blinding people which the Tundra does well with just the stock lights.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

Installations;
mount ballasts and test.
dont even open that can of worms. just to clarify for you, "real" HIDs from the factory are projectors with a distinct cut off and pattern spread....the stock housing does not have a cut off like that and does produce some scatter with the light. yes, our plug n play systems do produce more light and the correct color but the pattern is not the same. that said, its not the end of the world. if you adjust the lights properly they will not blind oncoming people any more than the stock halogens do. some take photos of cars with HIDs like this to make their point but truth is take a pic of a halogen light and it will look like a glare also. mine are adjusted and i have not been flashed since i adjusted them last year. i used to get flashed all the time with the stock halogens, its all in the adjustment. some of us actually thing the cut off line on stock HIDs are more annoying...cars/trucks/whatever....as they go up and down with the bumps in the road it makes a distinct "flashing" type of look as that cut off line goes up and down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dont even open that can of worms. just to clarify for you, "real" HIDs from the factory are projectors with a distinct cut off and pattern spread....the stock housing does not have a cut off like that and does produce some scatter with the light. yes, our plug n play systems do produce more light and the correct color but the pattern is not the same. that said, its not the end of the world. if you adjust the lights properly they will not blind oncoming people any more than the stock halogens do. some take photos of cars with HIDs like this to make their point but truth is take a pic of a halogen light and it will look like a glare also. mine are adjusted and i have not been flashed since i adjusted them last year. i used to get flashed all the time with the stock halogens, its all in the adjustment. some of us actually thing the cut off line on stock HIDs are more annoying...cars/trucks/whatever....as they go up and down with the bumps in the road it makes a distinct "flashing" type of look as that cut off line goes up and down.
What type of adjusting is available on the stock headlights to ensure other cars safety?

·
Registered
918 Posts
It is a common misconception that MORE light always = BETTER light, with no distinction made on how light is DISTRIBUTED. "OOOH, look at me! My lights are so bright if I take a pick of the car facing it head on you can't see. "

Great except... light in the treetops with blackspots on the side of the road doesn't do you much good or help you see the kid standing on the side of the road about to run in front of you late at night.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a 6000k HID kit from a company called One Off Motorsports that was just plug and play. Had them for two years with no issues at all and they have better light output then stock with a much better look. I have never had anyone flash at me for being too bright. Cost me about $150.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is most important to me, I dont want to blind traffic, although i get blinded multiple times at night, even though i am high up in my tundra, but i would like to have some common courtesy, i checked out One Off motorsports... looks like a good kit, about what I am looking for. How hard is the install on a kit like that?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts