Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, my dealership just called me and told me the CrewMax 4X4 TRD with moonroof, sonar, cold kit, bucket seats, and upgraded stereo will be here the week of 14 May 2007. It has every option I want, but they told me the factory will not install the upgraded stereo. If I want the upgraded JBL, I will need to wait till the third week of May to order; and should expect August or September delivery. What are your thoughts? Those with the TRD package, is the stereo decent and do you care about the steering wheel controls not being there. I am used to them on my 4Runner and now sold Tacoma. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey Everyone, my dealership just called me and told me the CrewMax 4X4 TRD with moonroof, sonar, cold kit, bucket seats, and upgraded stereo will be here the week of 14 May 2007. It has every option I want, but they told me the factory will not install the upgraded stereo. If I want the upgraded JBL, I will need to wait till the third week of May to order; and should expect August or September delivery. What are your thoughts? Those with the TRD package, is the stereo decent and do you care about the steering wheel controls not being there. I am used to them on my 4Runner and now sold Tacoma. Thanks for the help.
I have a CrewMax with the TRD package and the standard $200 option 6 Disc system. It sounds much better that the JBL system I had in my '04 DC. If you like to go aftermarket with sound systems, then the $200 system may not be right for you. I have not heard the JBL on the new Tundra, so I can't really tell the difference.

Good luck:tu:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the stock system same as 2004TundraDC, it's ok... nothing to write home about but if you are that concerned about sound I'd go after market. Better sound and you don't have to finance the cost.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do any of you have any problems with not having the steering wheel controls? I have been used to them on my Tacoma and 4Runner. It is amazing how we get accustomed to things we didn't have seven years ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do any of you have any problems with not having the steering wheel controls? I have been used to them on my Tacoma and 4Runner. It is amazing how we get accustomed to things we didn't have seven years ago.
I don't have any issues with it and I've gotten used to having them on previous vehicles as well. The bottom line is the reach is a very minor inconvenience and if you use your iPod enough you are usually grabbing that anyways. I've not owned a vehicle that will control iPod or AUX inputs on the steering wheel. The only things I'm adjusting are volume and preset stations... it's not that big of a deal to me but if it's important to you and you don't mind waiting go for it... after all it's going to be your truck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I have pretty much made my decision that it is not important enough to wait an additional four months. It does puzzle me that Toyota would include, what seems to be a standard feature on many other Toyota's, steering wheel controls only on the upgraded packages. Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Steering wheel audio controls are the best thing since sliced bread. We have them in my wife's Infiniti G35. The funny thing is, the radio in any vehicle is probably no more than 24inches from the drivers body. But having the controls at your fingertips is truly awesome. For one thing, you don't have to take your eyes off the road. My next Tundra will definitely have the JBL stereo with steering wheel controls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts