Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday my 02 tundra v-8 finally flashed a check engine light after enduring a month of random and intermittent stumbling once every 3 days or so. Monday the light came on and the truck was hardly driveable. Well, the shop said it was cylinder misfires in #3 & #5. He checked all the plugs and #3&5 plugs were severely fouled. He checked the remaining 6 and he said they looked brand new. Well, they were all changed 10,000 miles ago with new OEM plugs by the dealership. SO, the shop replaced the ignition coils on #3&5 with factory types and replaced all the plugs with Autolite double platinums. He test drove it and all was well.

TODAY, less than 25 miles later, the engine started stumbling every few minutes in the lower rpm band but again, no check engine light. Of course it did it after business hours.

Could it be these plugs?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
YES

never mix plugs ! Especially different kinds.

you can replace the 2 odd ones with OEM plugs ( like the other 6 ) and the problem should go away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Boosted, I misread the servce ticket. He did change all 8 to the Autolite double platinums. Thanks....this has been so frustrating....a month without a code then finally a code and still some sort of problem lingers. The minute he told me he put those in I cringed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Toyota engines DO NOT appreciate platinum plugs ( especially double electrode ones ). I bet you that a set of OEM plugs cures the problem right off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so. I just took it out for a spin ...11PM less traffic....and after about 5 minutes of sitting the driveway and then 5 minutes of stop and go in the neighborhood, I took it on main boulevard (40mph) and it ran fine until about 2 minutes later when I was coming to a stop light. It started it's stumbling and threw a check engine light that at first flashed, then went solid, and then went off.

Yeah I know my truck is 6 years old now but it has less than 80,000 miles on it. I am so disappointed in this truck thus far. Ever since the first year it's been one problem after another.

I'll run by autozone in the morning I guess and see if they can scan it ... again. Of course at the rate this stuff keeps happening, I may as well buy my own. LOL.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hogwild,

I replaced the Autolites yesterday with standard Densos from the dealer. I let the truck idle for damn near an hour and everything looked fine. No light. No stumble. I then took for a spin through the neighborhood. Again...no stumble and no light. I took it on 40 mph street right near the house for about 5 minutes and again...all looked good. So I guess we'll see in time what happens. The Autolites only took a day and less than 20 miles to cause some havoc. What's unnerving is that the original problem started over a month ago and happened with such infrequency that it's hard to convince myself "ok the problem is fixed." I'm still scared to drive it more than two minutes away from the house. I'll just keep running it and see what becomes of it.

I've posted some pic of those plugs after only 20 miles. They can be found on the following thread.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/137406-2002-tundra-v8-autolite-double-platinums/

They looked pretty bad to me. Of course they were gapped to almost .045 (not my doing).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
i would not put a Autolite or a Bosch in a Lawnmower! glad ya got it fixed, take it out and drive it like ya own it!!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts