Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. Removed the TRD Decal of my Salsa Red 07 Tundra, and it left a bronze color of all the letters that were silver in color. Have tried to buff it out, but no luck, It almost looks as it dyed the metallic in the red, which is very odd in a truck that was built only a month ago. any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
:cry: Was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. Removed the TRD Decal of my Salsa Red 07 Tundra, and it left a bronze color of all the letters that were silver in color. Have tried to buff it out, but no luck, It almost looks as it dyed the metallic in the red, which is very odd in a truck that was built only a month ago. any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Get some glue and reapply the decal. They may be using some adhesive that removes the finish on these new trucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Use a heat gun...then apply an alcohol or solvent cleaner

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use a heat gun...then apply an alcohol or solvent cleaner
Thanks for the info, will try that in the morning, I have tried the alcohol, but without the heat gun,, course there is not any glue left, or anything like that, I believe because the trd decal did not have any kind of dark backing behind the silver letters that the sun caused a bronze effect into the clear coat, or changed the pigment in the metallic in the red. I Had a green 03 tundra step side that I removed the trd decal's and had no problems in the paint.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The decal paint must have leached into the clear coat, if so you need to remove some clear they must have applied it while still uncured, try compound then polish buff to a shine by had or machine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The decal paint must have leached into the clear coat, if so you need to remove some clear they must have applied it while still uncured, try compound then polish buff to a shine by had or machine

Hey thanks, that also sounds like a good idea, and your thought On the decal paint leaching into the clear sounds more like the problem, than sun getting through, sense the truck was built in Feb,, not enough time for the sun to hurt it much I would not think.. I will play around with again tomorrow, course for the time being I left the other decal on, in case I have to cover this back up

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Thanks for the info, will try that in the morning, I have tried the alcohol, but without the heat gun,, course there is not any glue left, or anything like that, I believe because the trd decal did not have any kind of dark backing behind the silver letters that the sun caused a bronze effect into the clear coat, or changed the pigment in the metallic in the red. I Had a green 03 tundra step side that I removed the trd decal's and had no problems in the paint.
matt, ask TSmember brandon1 before you jack up your finish with all kinds of suggestions from the hip. i think he has an auto detail business, might be of some help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Get some glue and reapply the decal. They may be using some adhesive that removes the finish on these new trucks.

Wow! I'd be wiggin. I have a radiant red with silver TSS (which means its got chrome 20's, chrome steps, sliding spilt rear windows, chrome eshaust tip, and nifty TSS floor mats, pretty sporty ehhh?)I planned on removing the silver TSS decal Tuesday, I will be rethinking this!

I have had issues prior removing decals particularly on a red 3year old Celica back when TM was going tape and decal crazy! No probs on a yellow tacoma in '88 that was new. Also when I Debadged my black '04 Tundra the goofy Texas embless left residue from the adhessive i was never able to completely remove.

Please let us know the final results! I could live with the TRD as it actually means something , but TSS has got to go!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was told the TRD decal is actually applied as part of the paint scheme, meaning that it is underneath at least one of the final clearcoats. It's not like removing one of those little dealer decals they sneak onto the tailgate. If you'd rather not have the TRD decal, it's best to just get a truck without one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone that replied, I took the truck to Toyota, and their paint and repair center. also had a good friend who is a paint chemist look at it, and all came to the same conclusion. The decal was put on before the paint system was fully cured, thus causing a bronze effect through the silver letters and lines that is in the metallic pigment in the paint, and cannot be removed. I'm stuck with two choices, put the decal back on, are repaint both rear fenders. And there is no way I'm letting anybody repaint a 2 week old truck. So I believe the Trd decal is going back on to my dismay.... I removed the front 5.7 emblem and Toyota emblem off the tail gate,, would have been real smooth looking without the TRD decal...Once again, thanks again to everyone ...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I assume you have some digital photos for documentation's sake. Perhaps you could post them. Are the decals in good shape? Will they go back on and stay on?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thanks for everyone that replied, I took the truck to Toyota, and their paint and repair center. also had a good friend who is a paint chemist look at it, and all came to the same conclusion. The decal was put on before the paint system was fully cured, thus causing a bronze effect through the silver letters and lines that is in the metallic pigment in the paint, and cannot be removed. I'm stuck with two choices, put the decal back on, are repaint both rear fenders. And there is no way I'm letting anybody repaint a 2 week old truck. So I believe the Trd decal is going back on to my dismay.... I removed the front 5.7 emblem and Toyota emblem off the tail gate,, would have been real smooth looking without the TRD decal...Once again, thanks again to everyone ...
Bummer, You should see if the dealer is willing to try and buff the problem spot under warranty, I cant see the silver of the sticker going down to the base coat, its probably just the top layer of clear at worst they would need to shoot the clear and it will match perfectly since theres no pigment.

On a positive note at least its no a Daryl Waltrip edition:eek:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I really want the TRD package minus TRD decals. I guess I could save money and go TRDless but the Fogs, hooks, and skid plates will come in handy when we go fishing on the coast. I really wanted the TRD wheels too... Maybe I will have to reconsider if I can't take off the Decals.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the post and sorry for your troubles!

·
Registered
91 Posts
just out of curiosity.... why is everyone taking the TRD decals off?? is it just personal preference? I will have a Crewmax with the TRD package and I plan on keeping them right where there at, but, is there something that I dont know about?

·
Registered
357 Posts
just out of curiosity.... why is everyone taking the TRD decals off?? is it just personal preference? I will have a Crewmax with the TRD package and I plan on keeping them right where there at, but, is there something that I dont know about?
Because of the gangs, if they see a new tundra with the trd stickers still, they shoot at it as part of the gang initiation deal. Same deal if you flash your head lights at them.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

Don't be flashin' your suck-*** factory-moddin' "TRD" in this hood 'less you want us to put a cap in it...Dog.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The initial post had me worried about removing mine, but I did it anyway and didnt have any problems with ink leaking into the clear coat. Peeled them off then used some Acrysol to remove the left over glue residue.

I peeled mine off because I liked the TRD package but just didnt care for the sticker. I know its only an optical illusion, but I can swear the bed looks longer now. lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts