Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, well, I finished installing the Bilsteins yesterday with the diff. drop as well. I go to work this morning and, as far as I can tell no problems. I come back and no problems. Go to run a couple of errands and I hear two new distinct noises... the first sounds like a high-pitched slow whining noise... but quite faint... almost like if you have bad brakes and they're wet and you're slowing down. The second is a much louder rattling noise that occurs. Both only occur at slow speeds and seemingly when turning... they start when I start to brake, but continue even when I lift my foot of the brake or have it on the gas or neither for a little while and only go away when I'm either in reverse or going say faster than 30mph.
Is this because I haven't had the alignment done yet? It is a pretty horrible rattling noise... otherwise truck feels very solid. I swear it sounds like something is rolling around in circles like a really weak tin-noise, but everything at first glance and feel seems solidly in place. Brake disc guard seems fine, skid plate is on real tight. All the bolts I could feel that I undid during the install are solidly in place... no missing/extra parts that I'm aware of... and it seems to be coming from the driver's side too... if I didn't have alloy wheels, I would have sworn it was the hub cap with a stone inside it!! Any ideas? I'm getting my new wheels/tires installed on Wednesday and getting the alignment done then... should I wait till then? I probably don't have much choice anyhow...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buddy had a tpms fall off on his and had a sound like you have, take a rim off and see if you can hear something in the rim other than that it sounds like a drive train inspection.when they took the rim off the tpms was junk and there was the old valve stem also in there.good luck

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
And make sure the wheel bolts are on tight. I've seen or heard weird noises when lugs are left loose! Drive slowly until Wed.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheel bolts are on plenty tight... not sure about the TPMS thing though... that actually sounds plausible, though I'm not sure exactly how that would have happened... I didn't inflate/deflate the tires at all... but that is something I didn't think of and could very well be the issue...

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I had an issue with one of dust shields on the brake clanking. It was a low speed noise. This happened 2 years ago when I got my BFGs put on.

Happened on tight turns if i recall correctly (it has been 2 years)

Hope you get it figured out. And, I don't think you're the first person that's had a clanking sound with the 5100s but I can't recall what the others were having problems with. Sounds like you've checked your bases, so it could be something that might not be QUITE in spec, like the dust shield.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, not the same thing at all... the truck drives awesome right now, there is just this whining noise and an annoying rattling sound...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an issue with one of dust shields on the brake clanking. It was a low speed noise. This happened 2 years ago when I got my BFGs put on.

Happened on tight turns if i recall correctly (it has been 2 years)

Hope you get it figured out. And, I don't think you're the first person that's had a clanking sound with the 5100s but I can't recall what the others were having problems with. Sounds like you've checked your bases, so it could be something that might not be QUITE in spec, like the dust shield.

-rockstate
I'm thinking that at least the clanging sound may be what you're describing... I'm just not sure how to verify if it is or not, but it DOES sound like it is coming from the wheel specifically... almost like it is a weird, tinny noise accompanied by that high-pitch whine. I tried feeling around for the brake guard and it feels solid, but not saying that it isn't rubbing against something, just not sure how to tell. Hopefully when I take it in tomorrow it won't be anything too serious...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts