Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new a/c condenser for my truck and saw it came with a bottle of a/c oil. Makes me wonder now. When I pull the old condenser out should I try and drain as much oil out of it as possible and then measure it and pour that much new oil in the new condenser? seems to make sense to do that.
Should I use a solvent or anything to try and get all the oil out the old condenser? any tips or tricks?

I got a new expansion valve too. Looks like it'll be a booger to get to.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
First tip, get a new dryer (receiver) as well. The book calls for 1.4 to 1.7 ounces of oil for a new condenser. Make sure and put a little oil
on the o-rings when installing. Keep all lines and oil bottle capped as much as possible. A/C oil absorbs water, water is your enemy.

You'll need the SST tool to disconnect the refrig. lines to remove the cooling box. New oiled o-rings need to be installed on
those lines when re-assembling. The expansion valve bolt torques to 5.4 N-m or 48 INCH lbs. 4 O-rings needed for the expansion valve job, including the lines. The suction tube torques to 32 N-m or 24 FOOT lbs. The high pressure tube the SST
is used and make sure the claw is all the way touching when you snap it back together.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the SST tool look like? I've only worked on Fords in the past and have the correct tools to pull a Ford a/c system apart. Not sure if that's the same or not.

My double cab appears to have the dryer integrated into the condenser so replacing the condenser replaces the dryer too. I looked in the a/c manual for the truck and saw the 1.4 to 1.7 fl.oz for replacing the condenser. I guess that's why oil was included. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think the OTC ones will work which is what I have had for years. I haven't heard of any other type except the little plastic
blade one they sell for some toyota models.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I started with the expansion valve tonight and man what a job to get to it. I've ripped out the console, passenger side kick panel, glove box, entire lower part of dash etc.
Now I'm at the part where I need to un clamp the a/c hoses inside the firewall from the engine side. It has these odd looking plastic clamps and I'm not sure how they come apart? Is there a special tool? I messed around with a screw driver a little but could tell it was just gonna break them so I stopped.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
The book shows a tool different than the ford spring lock tools. It pushes over the tube and has a button on top you push. Sort
of a rectangular box with a U cut in to go over the line. I've never seen one. Check the Snap-On truck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man. Hope my local auto parts store has something.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been to just about every auto parts store and specialty tool store in Kansas City and can't find anything. I even went to the Toyota dealer and they have no tool. Guy at the parts counter said they usually just break the clamps off and put new ones on. So I asked for two new clamps and of course he doesn't stock them. I then asked if we could go speak to the service department and the guy there said they don't have a tool either but they just take a standard pic and push it in and it opens them up. So I'm at home shoving pics, wires and all sorts of things in and about on the clamps but not really sure how they come apart. I'm also trying to be careful because if I break them I'm stuck for sure with no a/c and a truck in pieces till the dealer can order replacements for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got it figured out. You don't just shove a pic in there. I had to use a really tiny screw driver from one of those mini sets and carefully slide it along the top side of the hole and catch on this thin flat piece of metal and pull it down and then the clamp opened up. Once the clamp is open you can see very easily how it works. I'll take a pic before putting it back together and post it on here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got the a/c box out from under the dash yesterday to replace the expansion valve and wow sure enough there was all kinds of mud and dirt and junk in there. The prior owner wheeled the snot out of the truck at least once. I've spent months cleaning mud out from under the truck and every crevice and corner. I pull the console out and there's sand all under it, I pull the dash and sand and dirt is falling out all over. Man what do people wheel through 6' of mud with the windows down? I wanted to just buy a new condenser but dealer wanted $275 for one. Owch. So I spent a good few hours with the garden hose soaking it and cleaning out all the mud and dirt. Finally got the fins looking almost new and then used a feeler gauge to straighten out any fins that where bent.

Got the truck all put back together and charged a/c system. Looks like today will be a nice hot day so I can test it out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never thought about a flood car. I suppose anything is possible but it has all the classic signs of a wheeled truck and slightly abused too. Small things I never noticed at time of purchase like under the truck had tons of mud and weeds/grass stuff packed in there real bad. It had clearly been power washed so I didn't notice anything when glancing it over but get under there and start looking around and it was packed in all over. Mostly packed in from the direction of driving forward through stuff.
Driver's side mirror glass is scratched, few marks here and there, driver's door was opened so hard it bent the outer door skin up where the door hinges are, few scuffs here and there. Also seems something insanely heavy was dropped on tail gate and bent it just enough it's no longer removable. Try try and try I have and I can't budge it. Inner passenger's side fender plastic that covers a few things was ripped off.

I bought the truck in 08 and really it's been a dream, drives wonderful and has no problems except the a/c lol which I'm working on. Also had the side mirrors wobbling but found the fix on this forum and took care of that. Stupid vent selector dial can be hard to turn and jumps teeth every so often and I have to open up dash panels and fix that.
Overall happy with truck :)

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts