Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I currently live in Gainesville, FL. I am from Pittsburgh, where there are lots of hills and snow and ice. I don't live on a farm or work in construction, but I am planning on getting a boat down the road. Do I need a 4x4 or will a 4x2 work just fine for me? I think I am hung up on the image that if I am going to buy a truck, it might as well be a 4x4 ( from my years in the 'Burgh ). Are there advantages to having a 4x4 as opposed to a 4x2? I know one obvious advantage of a 4x2 is the $avings. My brother n law, who is a Jay Leno type car enthusiast/mechanic, told me to get the 4x4 if I am buying a boat. The sales lady said that for the additional $3k, the monthly payment on a 4x4 would only be about $50. I am planning on buying the SR5 Crewmax 5.7 4x4 ( or 4x2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Straight up word !
My little Jeep on 31X10.5's pulls its fair share of "Full Size" 4X4's out of jams .Nothing more humbling then to chain-up a big ole 3/4 ton Dodge,Chevy,Ford sitting 10" up on 36's and help them off high-center or out of a mud bog :rolleyes:
LMAO !! Most times I dont even need the lockers or 4WD :eek: :eek: :eek: Cool Factor no doubt .........:eek:

Living in Florida.... save your money and buy 4x2. Unless cool factor is more important.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
I need some advice. I currently live in Gainesville, FL. I am from Pittsburgh, where there are lots of hills and snow and ice. I don't live on a farm or work in construction, but I am planning on getting a boat down the road. Do I need a 4x4 or will a 4x2 work just fine for me? I think I am hung up on the image that if I am going to buy a truck, it might as well be a 4x4 ( from my years in the 'Burgh ). Are there advantages to having a 4x4 as opposed to a 4x2? I know one obvious advantage of a 4x2 is the $avings. My brother n law, who is a Jay Leno type car enthusiast/mechanic, told me to get the 4x4 if I am buying a boat. The sales lady said that for the additional $3k, the monthly payment on a 4x4 would only be about $50. I am planning on buying the SR5 Crewmax 5.7 4x4 ( or 4x2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I live in Florida, too, and I just got the 4x4 because:
  1. I only tow a waverunner and don't really need a 4x4 for this but I really like the peace of mind knowing that while my rear wheels are sitting in wet slimy goo that I have the front wheels to help if I need it.
  2. I visited a friend in the Georgia woods a few months ago with my 2wd GMC (Sierra Ext Cab LB) and with the light rain I couldn't make it up his steep gravel driveway. Although I'll try something like this once every couple of years the "embarrassment" alone was good enough justification for a 4wd next time around.
  3. It's cool (and I added the TRD package to make it even cooler)
  4. What's the downside? I've heard people say "gas milage" and "insurance" are big issues but I've found both to be negligible. Like you already said the cost is negligible in the long run (also considering that resale is higher), so I really couldn't find a good reason not to.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I used logic and opted for 4x2, if I would have listened to my heart I would have a 4x4.
Go with 4x4, sounds like you want us to convince you because you feel guilty about buying it when you really don't need it. I say buy it.

Justification for buying a 4x4 when you don't really need it in Florida.
1. Hurricanes when all the trees block the road you can go off pavement.
2. Its cool to say you have 4x4.
3. Global warming, when the ice caps melt Florida will be one giant sand bog 4x4 required.
4. severe global warming, when the water gets so deep, then you will move back up north and must have it.
5. Its cool to have 4x4 on the side of the truck.
6. Anti global warming , if in fact the world gets cooler you will need 4x4 in Florida.
7. Get a mall rated bumper sticker from Pirate 4x4.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I live in TX and bought a 2wd in 2003 with a LSD. Since that time I have had a job where I needed my truck on dirt roads in all sorts of weather with mud, etc. I have taken my truck skiing and have driven in a fair amount of snow in/out of TX. I used logic (and my wife's advice) and got the 2wd. While I have never gotten stuck, I wish I had the 4wd. Buy the 4wd and feel confident about going anywhere. W/O any weight in the rearend, you have to really work to keep it moving. If I had the 4wd I wouldn't now be thinking that I needed another truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go with the 4x4 for sure. Don't be kicking yourself in the arse later. If you want 4x2 there's always the mini van. lol. Now go get your 4x4 TRD CrewMax.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
If you're planning to do some serious off roading, go with the 4x4. Other than that 4x2 will do just fine. 4x4 costs more, gets awful gas mileage, has more maintenance requirements, and probably higher insurance rate. But then, if money is not a problem for you, then 4x4 it is.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It was raining here in Ohio yesterday and I pulled up to a stop light on an incline. When the light turned green, I barely gave it gas and the wheels started to spin. This happened several times and I almost kicked it in to 4X4 but finally got some momentum. So, if you are towing a boat and will obviously be around water, I would get 4X4. Just like the saying goes, "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tow a 19 ft boat with my 2wd Tundra in Florida. I had my last truck (4x4) for 5 years and not once did I need to use the 4wd. I don't off road though.

4wd is probably the least depreciating option you could purchase on a truck. So, if you think you will need it, that $3,000-or-so extra you will pay for the 4wd will probably only depreciate a couple hundred bucks by the time you part with it.

Since I wasn't exactly in the market for a truck, I decided to go 2wd just to keep the cost down. (I was trying to choose between a 4wd Tacoma or 2wd Tundra. Went with the big daddy.)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure on the newer models, but I had an 05 Tundra 2WD. I bought it in the south (not many 4x4's) and relocated to the West.

I cannot tell you how bad it was in the snow and mud. In the snow it was worse than a regular car. In the mud, I cannot tell you how many times I was in the middle of nowhere and almost got stuck. I had to do the old rocking thing, and fling mud everywhere.

Scariest though is the snow. If you are in the snow, VERY touchy. I gave it a little too much gas at one stop sign and in no time was sideways. I never put weight in the bed like some people (sand bags etc.) so not sure how that would have worked out.

Bad enough the 05 2wd was traded for an 07 4wd.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure on the newer models, but I had an 05 Tundra 2WD. I bought it in the south (not many 4x4's) and relocated to the West.

I cannot tell you how bad it was in the snow and mud. In the snow it was worse than a regular car. In the mud, I cannot tell you how many times I was in the middle of nowhere and almost got stuck. I had to do the old rocking thing, and fling mud everywhere.

Scariest though is the snow. If you are in the snow, VERY touchy. I gave it a little too much gas at one stop sign and in no time was sideways. I never put weight in the bed like some people (sand bags etc.) so not sure how that would have worked out.

Bad enough the 05 2wd was traded for an 07 4wd.
In addition, I do not know how many times I regretted not getting 4wd in the first place. I don't think that now I will regret getting 4wd.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you're planning on getting a boat then definitely go with the 4x4. My buddy had a 2wd ranger and it was just embarassing watching that little thing burn out up the entire boat launch trying to pull his boat out. I'm sure the tundra wouldn't have problems, but honestly you won't need it till you really need it. Then you will be kicking yourself in the arse. Not to mention if you travel north any time. I was in Northern NM on vacation during a hell of a snow storm and i witnessed just how important 4wd is up there. I also realized the importance of a locking rear watching a furd spin one tire in the snow while the other was on dry land just sitting there. I was in my dad's awd denali it just creeped around without a flaw in some deep *** snow.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Yep, get the 4x4. I am also from Pittsburgh and now live in the south. For many years I would have just purchased the 4x2 for all the reasons usually stated. In fact my 02 Tacoma was 4x2 and it worked fine, but there were at least a dozen times when I needed 4x4 and wished that I had it.
  • driving on wet pavement in the rain
  • stuck on wet leaves, mud, sand, gravel, in a ditch, etc.
  • towing or hauling heavy stuff
  • the freak snow or ice storm which shuts down your southern city because they have no idea how to drive in anything more than a moderate rain, and because they don't have road salt or effective road crews
  • driving in the woods or on farm land
  • pulling someone else out of a ditch
  • traveling to other states with snow, ice, etc.
  • reselling the truck
In the end there is no disadvantage to 4x4 other than a slightly higher cost, which you can recover partially or in full by the increase in retained value let alone the benefit of having and using it. Plus you can still drive in 4x2 mode to save gas. For my 07 Tundra I was tempted to get 4x2 again, even up to the day before the sale, and now I have a 4x4 and have already used it 6 times in just two months.

Get the 4x4.:tu:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
From the EPA Many Factors Affect MPG

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Using 4-wheel drive reduces fuel economy. Four-wheel drive vehicles are tested in 2-wheel drive. Engaging all four wheels makes the engine work harder and increases crankcase losses.[/FONT]

You simply do not get the 2WD fuel economy ratings when you drive a 4WD vehicle in 2-wheel drive mode. The sticker estimates the mileage you will get in your 4X4 vehicle in 2-wheel drive mode.

I estimate that it would cost me about $500 per year more for gasoline assuming about $3 per gallon and about 18K miles/yr of driving.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with the post to help justify the 4X4. You never really know where life will take you. I had a 4X2 Tacoma PreRunner when I lived in Arizona, then work took me to Washington DC. Then I wish I had a 4X4. I personally didn't look at MPG or many other logical cost factors since I was buying a truck. Make it mean. I vote 4X4 in Florida. Besides it will work better on the beach.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
I say go 4x4. If you go the 4x2 route, you'll always be in the position of not being able to use it when you need it, but if you already have it, you always have the option to not engage it when it's not needed. I'm all about options when the shiite hits the fan. There's no sin in overpreparing! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts