Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something weird. I reset the Maint. by with holding the Trip A down, turning the ignition key to on and waiting for the dashes to go to out. But now every time I turn off the truck both Trip A and Trip B odo's get reset to zero! What have I done? Anybody have any idea how to go back to normal? Thanks P.S., had this over in the Electrical forum with no takers. Boo.

>> bigMo

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've found something BRAND NEW that no one else has seen???!!!!! :eek: I'm famous!!! :D

Battery pull is next. What a pain. :ts:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Maybe you've uncovered some obscure "undocumented feature".
Have you tried repeating the Maint reset procedure to see if that will toggle it back off?

SteveJ

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Bigmo:
It has to be your magic touch(or maybe a bad switch)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you've uncovered some obscure "undocumented feature".
Have you tried repeating the Maint reset procedure to see if that will toggle it back off?

SteveJ
Sure did, no luck. Still resets to zero when i shut off the engine. Will have batt pulled today at some point. And I can reset the trip meters during the day so the reset button seems to be working ok. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Trip A & Trip B reseting to zero" just started happening to me too, day before yesterday....along with audio system stopped working and clock resets to 1:00 each time I start the engine. Hi beam switch not working too, except when a hold the lever back.
Did not find any blown fuses; battery's good; alternators good. I'm thinking this is a wiring problem. Anybody?

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
"Trip A & Trip B reseting to zero" just started happening to me too, day before yesterday....along with audio system stopped working and clock resets to 1:00 each time I start the engine. Hi beam switch not working too, except when a hold the lever back.
Did not find any blown fuses; battery's good; alternators good. I'm thinking this is a wiring problem. Anybody?
Purely a guess, but I would say a bad ground because those are not all off the same fuse. Finding it??? That's a whole separate question!!:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank for the input. Started my search at the battery. cleaned the terminals at the battery....no improvement. next I'll try reconnecting the small wires that attach to the frame (bad ground?)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a little investigation, it appears that the radio gets reset (sometimes) and the average mileage number gets reset. Did the batt pull, still no luck. :(

big$$ is very sad. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
BigMo, It seems like it has to be a bad connection of some kind. Is there any kind of pattern to when it happens??

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pattern? Only when I turn the rig off. And the thing is its been months since I touched anything on the inside.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
OK, here is something weird to try.
Replace three fuses in the front fuse box under the hood. Replace them even if they look good. All these fuses feed the combination meter one way or another.
1) IG = 10 amp
2) MET = 7.5 amp
3) MET-B = 7.5 amp

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
It's definitely related to some kind of power loss to the instrument cluster. Verify that you have power to the cluster with the key off - the fact your radio is resetting also confirms constant B+ loss. I'd be really surprised if it's a problem with the wiring harness itself.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only thing I can think of is when I was last under the dash for the fog light mod I must have pulled a plug somewhere. Not enough to open it but to loosen it. Then after months of driving it finally wiggled apart, maybe just a little bit. This is going to be a pain. That's all I can think of. Or maybe the ground screw somewhere has loosened.

UncleB...have you been poking around under the dash? Made any electrical mods? Pulled on any cables, wires, etc? Have you found anything yet? BigMo is very sad - I loves my truck.

>>bigMo

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, here is something weird to try.
Replace three fuses in the front fuse box under the hood. Replace them even if they look good. All these fuses feed the combination meter one way or another.
1) IG = 10 amp
2) MET = 7.5 amp
3) MET-B = 7.5 amp
Gentlemen, Mr. Mendonsy has solved the problem!! :D:D:D:D

The MET fuse was bad and not obvious. Soooo if you get radio station resets, Trip A and B resetting on their own, radio station resetting, but all working fine when you're engine is running just replace / closely inspect these 3 little buggers. Fuse points sent! :first: :amen:

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Gentlemen, Mr. Mendonsy has solved the problem!! :D:D:D:D

The MET fuse was bad and not obvious. Soooo if you get radio station resets, Trip A and B resetting on their own, radio station resetting, but all working fine when you're engine is running just replace / closely inspect these 3 little buggers. Fuse points sent! :first: :amen:
Bigmo - Glad I could help you out. I ran into a similar problem with our MB Sprinter. It had a bad fuse that looked good but when I pulled it out it fell apart.;):D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts