Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 2001 tundra with a v6 3.4 engine. The truck turns on but shakes a lot and feels weak. Sometimes it turns on and dies after a second or two and it almost seems like it does not turn on. I can get it to stay on if I hit the gas pedal as soon as I turn it on and leave it gassed for about 30 seconds. I plan on taking it to the mechanic this weekend but I wanted to get some opinions on this problem to get a better idea. I recently replaced the fuel filter, o2 sensor and the timing belt. After I replaced the timing belt I took a trip to Vegas and the truck felt gutless on the way up there from San Diego. WOuld it be possible that the mechanic did not properly align the belt? off by a tooth? any help will be appreciated.:ts:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still having the same problem... I have a volant intake would the maf be affected by this? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maf might be affected.. I'd check the plugs too. Sounds like a miss from a chracked or otherwise bad plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
switched spark plugs this morning, and cleaned maf sensor and filter. So far it won't do the problem but it seems like the truck starts weak. It used to sound like roooom! everytime I started the truck.. Now it just turns on but seems weak. I might switch to the stock intake this weekend. Any more ideas guys? thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the timing belt replaced again... and at least thats good now. The problem comes and goes. This month is did it 2-3 times. I get it to stay on by accelerating as soon as it turns on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keeping fingers crossed... I just switched back to my old intake (factory stock) what a difference... The truck actually moves! I have a v-8 and the v-6 tundra and I always assumed that the v-6 just lagged due to the undersized engine. With the stock intake it actually picks up and I was able to pass cars on the freeway rather easily. Now let's hope that it turn on just fine for the rest of the week.

With the performance intake-

-I noticed loss of power
-Really loud going uphill

·
Registered
344 Posts
"Performance" air intakes only rob you of power and create noise. Did the truck ever do this before you had the timing belt replaced? If not, and the truck still starts rough from time to time, it still isn't adjusted correctly, I'de go yell at the mechanic and threaten his life...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Performance" air intakes only rob you of power and create noise. Did the truck ever do this before you had the timing belt replaced? If not, and the truck still starts rough from time to time, it still isn't adjusted correctly, I'de go yell at the mechanic and threaten his life...

The timing belt and the intake were installed on the same day... Just bad science. I should have done one thing at a time. It's running and starting like a champ now. Damm intake! I kept feeling like my other truck (4.7) was not as responsive as it used to. After this I am taking that intake from out that truck too.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Not all intakes rob you of power. The volant works well for me but the injen did not. Glad you got things sorted out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be fair to all brands that I have not tried... I had volants on both my trucks.. they are out sitting in a box now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts